DAN A4-SFX v4.1

definelicht

Caliper Novice
Sep 24, 2020
Request

Here is my next Offset-Panel concept. These panel will add 10mm on each side of the case. You can fit 55mm thick GPUs and CPU heatsinks like Thermalright AXP-100 Copper.

The panels are made from an black colored plastic-mold and an anodized brushed aluminum panel. These parts are connected without visible screws. The panel will be attached on the case main frame clips.

I like the look. What do you think?

Honestly... I think this ruins the look of the case. At that point I'd rather get the FormD T1. Of course if it's optional I don't have to care :-) but I'd be much more likely to buy the original design with extra 5mm for 2.5 slot GPUs.

daddelbud

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 9, 2019
@PorKOON thanks so much for that run down! SO with the added spacers you put in for your FE, you don't have any issues getting the normal side case panel on?

I hear that the 5000 series ryzens are running a lot hotter than the 3000, I'm jealous of the better single core performance though!

I think that only goes for 5800x?

My experience after replacing my 3600 with an 5600x is an decrease in temperature with around 3-4 degrees with an l9a

Reactions: joconnell

area

Case Bender
New User
Nov 17, 2020
Spacers avoid fracturing the community - as we've seen, some cards would fit in a natively 2.5 slot A4, but not in a 2-slot-with-spacers A4. Whether that's a plus or a minus is open to interpretation though!

Reactions: Bonusround

PorKOON

Efficiency Noob
Nov 19, 2020
@PorKOON thanks so much for that run down! SO with the added spacers you put in for your FE, you don't have any issues getting the normal side case panel on?

I hear that the 5000 series ryzens are running a lot hotter than the 3000, I'm jealous of the better single core performance though!

Nope, no issues at all. I like the positioning of the FE more now in my case. Aside from better temps, the ports aren't as close to the edge, the card seemed easier to screw down, and the back exhaust is exposed slightly more.

My 5600x runs pretty hot too. I set it to Eco mode last night and temps peaked at 79°C at 3.7 GHz. I think the overall sound decreased too, but I didn't measure it. Something interesting to note is my Cinebench R23 score stayed the same as stock, but I need to retest that.

TBH, I'm not too worried about the high temps, since in the thin and light gaming laptop world, 90°C on the CPU is normal and in spec with Ryzen's design.

I think that only goes for 5800x?

My experience after replacing my 3600 with an 5600x is an decrease in temperature with around 3-4 degrees with an l9a

What settings are you using for your 5600x?

Reactions: joconnell

echodriver

Caliper Novice
Oct 11, 2020
Okay, i definitely like how that spacer works with the 3080 TUF.

I managed to buy a 3080 TUF, so if an official Dan spacer in silver works, i would buy one in a heartbeat

joconnell

Average Stuffer
Jul 23, 2019
With @PorKOON 's news I'm happy with the base case and an FE but I'd totally add a spacer for in office use if it was quieter in terms of turbulence from the fans being close to the sides.

White Wolf

Chassis Packer
Sep 25, 2020
How about we go with spacers or new side panels for the Nvidia 30XX and AMD 8XXX gen GPU's.

And if the trend of growing GPU sizes continues with the Nvidia 40XX and next (next) gen AMD GPU's in 2021-2022, then we can go for the V5 with he extra 5mm width.

Sounds like a plan?

On a side note, I really love the 4.1 and would preferably stick to the original design...

Jdbye

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 22, 2020
Has anyone done temperature/boost clock comparisons with the AXP90 mounted with the fins parallel to the RAM, and the fins in the normal orientation?

Also, does anyone have an up to date link for where to buy the brackets to mount the AXP90R parallel with the RAM? I thought I bought the correct
one from Superbuy, but it's just the normal AMD bracket.

I have an AXP90R just sitting here, unsure whether to just install it now, or if it's worth ordering a 90 degree rotated bracket. It is a bit of a hassle to change out the cooler so if it's worth getting a bracket then I will probably wait until I get one before installing the cooler.

DaHans

Average Stuffer
May 11, 2018
Has anyone done temperature/boost clock comparisons with the AXP90 mounted with the fins parallel to the RAM, and the fins in the normal orientation?

Also, does anyone have an up to date link for where to buy the brackets to mount the AXP90R parallel with the RAM? I thought I bought the correct
one from Superbuy, but it's just the normal AMD bracket.

I have an AXP90R just sitting here, unsure whether to just install it now, or if it's worth ordering a 90 degree rotated bracket. It is a bit of a hassle to change out the cooler so if it's worth getting a bracket then I will probably wait until I get one before installing the cooler.
Where did you get the 90 Degree bracket?

guniens

Average Stuffer
Nov 28, 2019
@dondan may i suggest to turn the spacer part between the side panel and the case body the other way round? So the curves face the exterior (for sides front and back) and make top/bottom part of the spacer flat in line with the case?
Don't know if i explained what i mean lol

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
Spacers is a great idea, I would buy that all day. also an official flex atx PSU bracket. I was able to get a push-pull AIO to watercool a 1080 ti mini into the case with the flex PSU, but the 3d printed bracket doesn't quite fit. Having that kind of AIO support for even the CPU with the option to go for the inevitable next gen zotac mini style cards would be amazing.

White Wolf

Chassis Packer
Sep 25, 2020
Spacers is a great idea, I would buy that all day. also an official flex atx PSU bracket. I was able to get a push-pull AIO to watercool a 1080 ti mini into the case with the flex PSU, but the 3d printed bracket doesn't quite fit. Having that kind of AIO support for even the CPU with the option to go for the inevitable next gen zotac mini style cards would be amazing.

What CPU cooler are you using there?
I also got an Asus x570i however so far haven't found anything better for it other than the Cryorig C7G.

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
What CPU cooler are you using there?
I also got an Asus x570i however so far haven't found anything better for it other than the Cryorig C7G.

That's an AXP 100 that I made "fit" with a rubber mallet. I have the B550 Strix, so compatibility is a bit better due to the lower Vrm (?) heatsink. Have you checked out the AXP 90? performs a bit better than the cryorig. I had a c7g as my first cooler and it was just disappointing.

@dondan, the ability to run the AXP 100 with some simple spacers /side panel replacements would be really appealing.

Reactions: White Wolf

White Wolf

Chassis Packer
Sep 25, 2020
That's an AXP 100 that I made "fit" with a rubber mallet. I have the B550 Strix, so compatibility is a bit better due to the lower Vrm (?) heatsink. Have you checked out the AXP 90? performs a bit better than the cryorig. I had a c7g as my first cooler and it was just disappointing.

@dondan, the ability to run the AXP 100 with some simple spacers /side panel replacements would be really appealing.
Yeah, I can agree. C7G is ok but it is not as good as I hoped for. From what I have seen the AXP90 Copper is on average 5c cooler compared to the C7G...

which is why I just ordered it, lol (blackfriday discount on aliexpress, 40% off on the cooler - NOICE!).

I might even do a 1:1 comparison of the coolers (x570i using my 3600xt) and post some results here.

Reactions: BeginningDetail

echodriver

Caliper Novice
Oct 11, 2020
So I am in the midst of finishing my 3080 FE build and I can definitely echo what @Maeiourk and @PorKOON did:

I unscrewed the end of the PCIe Riser and I added a mobo standoff to the existing standoffs, which pushes the card out towards the case

This actually helps with aligning the ports in the back and the card is very nice and stable in there

Currently working on undervolting - when pure stock, temps peaked at 89°C with throttling down to 1635 Mhz but so far at 950 mV, I'm getting clocks at 1800 MHz and temps at 81°C - massive improvement!