DAN A4-SFX v4.1

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
@dondan
I like the design, but I was hoping for a solution that keeps the current sidepanels. It is more sustainable, with a minor esthetic cost.
Look into that also, please.

Agreed. That's what I had presumed @dondan's previous design was doing. Also, the 'terraced' design of that first concept was far more attractive and better maintained the slim look of the A4.

@dondan let everyone keep their current panels and simply buy (or add for a new purchase) these side extenders from you.

Straander

Chassis Packer
Nov 19, 2020
Request
Yesterday I asked you about what do you think about a new revision of the A4-SFX (named v5) that does have support for 2.5 slot gpus. The response on the forums and reddit was very positive and many customers would love support for 2.5 Slot gpus. Yesterday I read many time "please offer spacer" so I throught around the idea and came up with this. Optional spacer side panels. These panels are some slices every 4mm that are stacked up. So the space you can see in the picture will add 8mm more space. I could be possible to offer these also on the CPU side. The main advantage of this solution is no change required to the original A4 and everyone is able to upgrade.

What do you like the most these optional side panels or a A4-SFX that has 5mm more in width?

Long time lurker here but i created an account to respond to this post.
I love this idea for current a4-sfx owners. Trying to get one of these new gen graphics cards has been an even bigger pain then for most people since I’m limited to the 3080 FE and 3070 gigabyte Eagle. If production of this product was confirmed, then i would get the video card i actually want and run it with the side panel off until i could get the spacer.

so short answer, you pretty much have one guaranteed sale here.

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
I love this idea for current a4-sfx owners. Trying to get one of these new gen graphics cards has been an even bigger pain then for most people since I’m limited to the 3080 FE and 3070 gigabyte Eagle. If production of this product was confirmed, then i would get the video card i actually want and run it with the side panel off until i could get the spacer.

But are you sure you don't want to just purchase the spacers? (Cheaper, more economic)

Reactions: PantherB

geforce6200

Trash Compacter
Sep 29, 2019
Request

Here is my next Offset-Panel concept. These panel will add 10mm on each side of the case. You can fit 55mm thick GPUs and CPU heatsinks like Thermalright AXP-100 Copper.

The panels are made from an black colored plastic-mold and an anodized brushed aluminum panel. These parts are connected without visible screws. The panel will be attached on the case main frame clips.

I like the look. What do you think?

Is that possible to brink back window kit with this concept?

echodriver

Caliper Novice
Oct 11, 2020
I never checked, but could there be a universal spacer that works for both sides? That would help cut costs of manufacturing the part - and would allow people to use their existing panels. Then you'd only need a spacer for the black and one for the silver cases and people could customize as they like

I'm in the exact same boat - stuck to the 3080 FE and 3070 FE or Gigabyte Eagle 3070 series.

If the spacer comes to be, I'd keep the ASUS 3080 TUF I was able to buy (and debating on throwing it into a bigger case) and not worry about trying to snag a 3080 FE at all

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@dondan let everyone keep their current panels and simply buy (or add for a new purchase) these side extenders from you.

I think i explaint it not correctly. Also this version would require that you can't user your current panels. This is not a extender where you stack slices and at the end you add your current panel. This version is also a complete part by itself.

motherofass

Caliper Novice
Oct 19, 2019
The updated design looks more utilitarian than sleek to me, in which case I'd prefer some tiny washers/extensions for the prongs on the stock panels. Hopefully much cheaper and easier to ship too

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
I think i explaint it not correctly. Also this version would require that you can't user your current panels. This is not a extender where you stack slices and at the end you add your current panel. This version is also a complete part by itself.

Yes, and I understood that perfectly. A design where the current panels are maintained would be superior, especially for existing owners.

Users are already designing and sharing extenders. You could offer the premium, first-party version of these – both at the time of purchase or as a subsequent upgrade. Featuring a metal vent 'strip' (like the first concept) exactly matching the case and color of the A4 would be excellent and is something only you could do.

Besides, the first render you shared looked best IMO. ?

Straander

Chassis Packer
Nov 19, 2020
It was the spacer concept that i was speaking out in favor of.
Oh reading more i misunderstood what dandon was pitching.
yes i would prefer just a spacer to extend out my existing side panel to save money, but I’m assuming there are structural reasons that can’t be done. If that’s the case, then i would purchase the new panel with built in spacer as he shows there.

archagon

Average Stuffer
Aug 17, 2020
6. To resolve this problem, I added the extra mobo standoffs that came with the case to the GPU riser (idea from u/Maeiourk). The extra space allows the flow-through fan to exhaust hot air out, causes no alignment issues, and drastically reduces temps and noise. At stock with the mobo standoffs, max temps and noise were 80°C and 58 dB in Heaven and Time
Totally missed this, looking forward to trying! How does this not affect alignment with the rear slot?

By the way, if you're ever coming close to the 85/86C throttling temp, I recommend manually adjusting the fan curves to avoid 100% and have slightly harsher throttling. Those fans are LOUD! I think I max them out to maybe 85/70.

dank

Efficiency Noob
Nov 16, 2020
+1 for spacers. They're actually more environmentally friendly too, since there won't be any wasted material (the side panels that aren't used).

Reactions: PantherB

PorKOON

Efficiency Noob
Nov 19, 2020
Totally missed this, looking forward to trying! How does this not affect alignment with the rear slot?

By the way, if you're ever coming close to the 85/86C throttling temp, I recommend manually adjusting the fan curves to avoid 100% and have slightly harsher throttling. Those fans are LOUD! I think I max them out to maybe 85/70.

When I first put in the GPU, I actually had to push it in more to screw in the rear of the card. The additional standoffs actually made it allign better.

My GPU fans peak at around ~1,800 RPM in load, which is coincidentally the same RPM as the PSU.

PorKOON

Efficiency Noob
Nov 19, 2020
When I first put in the GPU, I actually had to push it in more to screw in the rear of the card. The additional standoffs actually made it allign better.

My GPU fans peak at around ~1,800 RPM in load, which is coincidentally the same RPM as the PSU.

Interesting, I can't seem to edit my original post.

Anyways, I meant to say I had to originally pull the GPU out a bit more to screw in the back. The standoffs created a better alignment.

Reactions: archagon

archagon

Average Stuffer
Aug 17, 2020
Interesting, I can't seem to edit my original post.

Anyways, I meant to say I had to originally pull the GPU out a bit more to screw in the back. The standoffs created a better alignment.
Thanks for the great tip! I assume the colder weather plays some part in this too, but it looks like my temps have dropped by 5+ degrees C with the standoffs, and the Time Spy Extreme Stress Test passed at 98.7% for the first time. (I am also underclocking 862mv/1890MHz.)

To be clear for anyone else reading, this is a second pair of standoffs screwed into the first pair (which are already attached out of the box). The FE fits just right when both are used.

Last edited:

joconnell

Average Stuffer
Jul 23, 2019
@PorKOON thanks so much for that run down! SO with the added spacers you put in for your FE, you don't have any issues getting the normal side case panel on?

I hear that the 5000 series ryzens are running a lot hotter than the 3000, I'm jealous of the better single core performance though!