DAN A4-SFX v4.1

element72

Average Stuffer
Oct 7, 2018
what type of fan fits at the bottom of the case and under both the gpu and mobo? I'm thinking of trying to add more fans if possible. I managed to only find one pic displaying this and that was on pcpartpicker.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
what type of fan fits at the bottom of the case and under both the gpu and mobo? I'm thinking of trying to add more fans if possible. I managed to only find one pic displaying this and that was on pcpartpicker.

A slim (14mm) 92 fan. There's basically only one out there, I even believe that Dan designed the new revision for this fan specifically. Don't quote me on that though.

Noctua NF-A9x14

Noctua NF-A9x14 Chromax version

They are the same fan, only the Chromax is an all black version of the original NF-A9x14.

One thing to note though, is that this fan doesn't do all that much really. It can lower temps maybe around 1-5 C at max. Keeping in mind as well, that in this case, which is basically one of the most compact cases on the market, cable management is a nightmare. The lesser cables you have inside of it, the better.

Personally I only have 5 total cables: Front usb cable, fan cable from my AIO and then 3 PSU cables. Which are 1 for the GPU, 1 for the CPU and the last one is the 24 motherboard cable.

x111

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
Does anyone know where to get "Noctua NF-A9x14 2.53W" or even better "Noctua NF-A9x14 2.53W Chromax version" ?
The regular is only 1,32W which is pretty weak !!

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Does anyone know where to get "Noctua NF-A9x14 2.53W" or even better "Noctua NF-A9x14 2.53W Chromax version" ?

I've never heard about a fans Watt before. Now I can't really tell if you're being serious or if you're just trolling here, but it doesn't matter which it is. It will use a standard power anyway, which isn't high at all. So that is not something you should be looking at all.

The "Chromax version", is just an all black version of the original brown/tan colour theme of the fan.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018

The regular is only 1,32W which is pretty weak !! -> this is the 2200RPM version NF-A9x14 PWM
"Noctua NF-A9x14 2.53W" -> this is the Heatsink version, 2500RPM and only comes stock to the L9i/a/x65 cooler Noctua L9x65
"Noctua NF-A9x14 2.53W Chromax version" -> if you look at the name it has "HS" = Heatsink, and also 2500RPM Noctua NF-A9x14.HS.Chromax
check your local retailers or e-tailers in your country. There should be some that stock it

They are the same fan, only the Chromax is an all black version of the original NF-A9x14.

I used to think they were the same too until I looked more closely at the specs. Blaming Noctua for the total confusion.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018

NF-A9x14 PWM or Noctua NF-A9x14.HS.Chromax

and here is my build with the both fan slots populated for your reference

x111

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
The regular is only 1,32W which is pretty weak !! -> this is the 2200RPM version NF-A9x14 PWM
"Noctua NF-A9x14 2.53W" -> this is the Heatsink version, 2500RPM and only comes stock to the L9i/a/x65 cooler Noctua L9x65
"Noctua NF-A9x14 2.53W Chromax version" -> if you look at the name it has "HS" = Heatsink, and also 2500RPM v.Chromax
check your local retailers or e-tailers in your country. There should be some that stock it
I used to think they were the same too until I looked more closely at the specs. Blaming Noctua for the total confusion.

exactly, it is my point, that more powerful fan comes only with bloody heatsink which I do not need !!
and I cannot find it anywhere :(

and dan a4 case build needs as much fan power as possible.

will continue hunting for a better fan..

also, I almost done my build and by extremely tight fit with "645LT AIO", I managed to brake a few clips that hold side panels,

so does anyone find a place to get those tiny parts for our beautiful case ?

otherwise I would have to drill a few holes in order to use screws instead.

Last edited:

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com

You used the "to think" verb, meaning that you didn't check. The 2 fans do not have the exact same reference, chances are they are slightly different. Can only blame yourself, Sir ;)

Noctua's website gives extensive specs all gathered in a single page per product type.

that more powerful fan comes only with bloody heatsink

Google found many places selling them, including A***on. It's just out of stock due to "increasing demand".

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: thelaughingman

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
NF-A9x14 PWM or Noctua NF-A9x14.HS.Chromax

and here is my build with the both fan slots populated for your reference

Damn dude, you should really consider getting some custom cables, as those are just so long. I recently purchased and got delivered custom cables, that were specifically designed for this case. What a difference it made, in terms of both overall space and aesthetic.

swaggywaggy

Average Stuffer
May 3, 2020
How can you tell which PCIe riser cable is included? How do you differentiate between PCIe 3 and PCIe 4?

I am looking at buying a Dan second hand, but the seller is unsure if he has V4 or V4.1

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
How can you tell which PCIe riser cable is included? How do you differentiate between PCIe 3 and PCIe 4?

I am looking at buying a Dan second hand, but the seller is unsure if he has V4 or V4.1

V4 is black and V4.1 is transparent. This is due to the V4 is PCIe 3.0 and V4.1 is 4.0 (He could only get hold off this transparent 4.0 one from 3M, which was the only PCIe 4.0 at the time).

Basically only if the case is V4.1, then it comes with a transparent PCIe 4.0 riser cable. Every previously versions/revisions are black and PCIe 3.0.

swaggywaggy

Average Stuffer
May 3, 2020
Thanks for your reply. I have another question after some discussions with the seller. There are some things missing but he hasn't been too clear. Of somebody wouldn't mind explaining to me I a bit more details.

I'll last his description below:

the case a few screws are missing, the Dan case has side panels that click into place but because of the 92mm aio install the clips are missing, but you can use the 4 screws 2 per side to secure the panels (i only have 2 total but used then near the front of the case as the rear portion clicks in no problem.
as i mentioned the usb 3.2 type c cable has been taken out to allow the aio install as well as the ssd bracket, both can be re mounted but will need a new bracket and removal of the aio, I've looked high and low and cant find it. i did use a corsair badge to cover up the hole you may notice it in the pictures

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Thanks for your reply. I have another question after some discussions with the seller. There are some things missing but he hasn't been too clear. Of somebody wouldn't mind explaining to me I a bit more details.

the case a few screws are missing, the Dan case has side panels that click into place but because of the 92mm aio install the clips are missing, but you can use the 4 screws 2 per side to secure the panels (i only have 2 total but used then near the front of the case as the rear portion clicks in no problem.
as i mentioned the usb 3.2 type c cable has been taken out to allow the aio install as well as the ssd bracket, both can be re mounted but will need a new bracket and removal of the aio, I've looked high and low and cant find it. i did use a corsair badge to cover up the hole you may notice it in the pictures

personally I wouldn't go through with this deal unless it's really cheap. seems like too many things have been altered / broken / missing for my liking.

Reactions: Dawelio

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017

personally I wouldn't go through with this deal unless it's really cheap. seems like too many things have been altered / broken / missing for my liking.

I personally recently purchased an V3 from eBay, although this one was new in box, only opened once to inspect it. The seller was very serious and service minded.

But what thelaughingman said above though... Seems a bit too much in my opinion.

Plus, he doesn't seem that into the case overall. Since V3 the front USB cable is compatible to be used with an AIO, I know, cause I'm currently using an V3 with the Asetek 645LT AIO installed, and I have the USB 3.0 still attached.
No problems at all and if it's either the V4 or V4.1 he has, then it will work with either of those as well.

I've also highlighted this in the V3 section with an arrow pointing to the spec so you can read for yourself.

Here's the change log for each revision, so you can see what I'm talking about. This list is the official list copied from Dan-cases.com:

V4.1

· 3M™ 8KC3-0726-0300 PCIe® x16 Gen4 riser

· USB 3.2 gen2 Type-C front port with internal Key-A

V4

· ADT R33UF-TU PCIe® x16 Gen3 riser

· USB 3.2 gen1 Type-C front port

· 92mm fan mount point under the motherboard

· Pre-drilled threads for custom window kits

· The 120mm AIO bracket is now optional

V3

· Lian Li PCIe® x16 Gen3 riser (black PCB and cabes)

· Adjustments to the USB3.0 internal cable to be compatible with Asetek® 92mm AIO <----- This is what I've mentioned above regarding AIO.

· Improvements to the power button to optimise the pressure point

· Adding mount points for HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX

· Mounting bracket for 120mm AIO

V2

· Cover for GPU mount area

· Better alignment of USB port

· Stamp-in motherboard stand-offs

· 92mm fan or AIO mount point

· Rubber case feet with better grip

· Kensington Lock

V1

· origin

Reactions: swaggywaggy

swaggywaggy

Average Stuffer
May 3, 2020
Latest conversion is this. What 3D printed bracket could he be talking about?

sorry for the confusion, to be clear the front usb cable and ssd bracket are included but not installed as the 92mm aio in in the case atm.
with a new bracket (3d print one) you can install the front usb and ssd cage,basically you can have the front usb and ssd cage or the aio but not both at the same time.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Latest conversion is this. What 3D printed bracket could he be talking about?

sorry for the confusion, to be clear the front usb cable and ssd bracket are included but not installed as the 92mm aio in in the case atm.
with a new bracket (3d print one) you can install the front usb and ssd cage,basically you can have the front usb and ssd cage or the aio but not both at the same time.

Yeah, I'd personally drop out of this deal to be honest. Since the seller clearly doesn't know what he is talking about really regarding this case. Since I just gave you literall proof from the creator's own website for this case, that the AIO and the front USB cable does work togheter. What he says is the opposite, that you can't.

Here's even an picture of the case having an AIO inside of it AND the front USB cable still installed. What he says is that this can't be done basically, atleast from my understanding.

That being said, the overall deal regarding this case etc just seems a bit fishy in my opinion. Though, I don't know what the case costs though and would personally make a decision based on that.

Hope this helps.

swaggywaggy

Average Stuffer
May 3, 2020
Yeah, I'd personally drop out of this deal to be honest. Since the seller clearly doesn't know what he is talking about really regarding this case. Since I just gave you literall proof from the creator's own website for this case, that the AIO and the front USB cable does work togheter. What he says is the opposite, that you can't.

Here's even an picture of the case having an AIO inside of it AND the front USB cable still installed. What he says is that this can't be done basically, atleast from my understanding.

That being said, the overall deal regarding this case etc just seems a bit fishy in my opinion. Though, I don't know what the case costs though and would personally make a decision based on that.

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much for your help.

He is saying that he actually does have everything apart from the bracket that fits the USB C connector to the case.

I have access to a 3D printer so could print one myself but I do not know the dimensions. Are they available?

Thanks for the help.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Thanks very much for your help.

He is saying that he actually does have everything apart from the bracket that fits the USB C connector to the case.

I have access to a 3D printer so could print one myself but I do not know the dimensions. Are they available?

Thanks for the help.

No worries, pleasure to help!

I see... Well this is as far as I was able to find, but it's for USB 3.0 and not USB C unfortunately: https://w360mod.com/products/dan_a4_cable_usb

If you need more than that, I'd personally try and contact Dan himself to see if it would be possible for you to get the blue prints or so, in order to 3D print it yourself.

Hope this helps!

element72

Average Stuffer
Oct 7, 2018
how can you figure out what fits? I'm not sure what RAM I can buy. Can you give me recommendations? Best, great, and good? Assume I would use the 645LT.

I wish it was obvious. I've looked at the first page and the website.