DAN A4-SFX v4.1

Misjn

Chassis Packer
Oct 29, 2019
I believe the 3600X is actually also just 65W, they just ship it with a 95W cooler and that's it. Don't pay anything extra for the X, you can just overclock the regular 3600 just the same if you want to. Since in the Dan A4 you'll be using a l9a or whatever as your cooler anyway there is no point in paying a single cent extra for the 3600X for its cooler.

Last edited:

Bowspin

Caliper Novice
Oct 16, 2019
Back with my temps problem, after some investigation it really looks like the turbo boost hurts the temps very bad and it makes my fan go crazy. I'm not satisfied with going over 85° during load, so I'll try redo my cpu cooler application. I'm a bit scared, heard some efty stories about cpu being pulled of its socket and stuff...

Any recommendation? It was very annoying to put the l9a the first time... Should I put the heatsink and then turn the mobo over or should I push the motherboard down on the cooler? Can I just remove the thermal paste with a tissue if its just 3 days old?

Oh also last observation of mine if it can help the diagnostic, the air leaving the case from above the mobo is really really hot while the air pushed out of the cpu fan is... Literally cool, might be totally normal though

Last edited:

The_Mad_Madman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
Back with my temps problem, after some investigation it really looks like the turbo boost hurts the temps very bad and it makes my fan go crazy. I'm not satisfied with going over 85° during load, so I'll try redo my cpu cooler application. I'm a bit scared, heard some efty stories about cpu being pulled of its socket and stuff...

Any recommendation? It was very annoying to put the l9a the first time... Should I put the heatsink and then turn the mobo over or should I push the motherboard down on the cooler? Can I just remove the thermal paste with a tissue if its just 3 days old?

Oh also last observation of mine if it can help the diagnostic, the air leaving the case from above the mobo is really really hot while the air pushed out of the cpu fan is... Literally cool, might be totally normal though
L9a is intake.

peacecraft_M

Trash Compacter
May 30, 2019
@peacecraft_M: Can you show me a picture?

I re-evaluated the case and noticed the same level of play on the other side panel near the top. I tried to take a video or picture to no avail.
I believe its just the nature of the panel insert clip mechanism. I am 100% good on this and am glad that the panels are NOT screwed in. The inserts are WAY more convenient. Thanks for following up anyways.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@HAshfaq786 For some build ideas go on https://www.dan-cases.com/dana4_faq.html #Example Hardware Configurations

1-3)
I think if you change the GPU both of them will fit your needs:

Intel: https://geizhals.eu/?cat=WL-678542
AMD: https://geizhals.eu/?cat=WL-890263

I recommend to use an Noctua L9i \L9a or a Cryorig C7G + A9x14 chromax and combine it with a 65W CPU like:

Intel 65W: 9400, 9400F, 9600, 9700, 9700F
Ryzen 65W: 3600, 3700X - my choice

4) For this configuratio you do not need case fans
5) Yes they will get stock end of month

HAshfaq786

Cable Smoosher
Nov 21, 2019
@HAshfaq786 For some build ideas go on https://www.dan-cases.com/dana4_faq.html #Example Hardware Configurations

1-3)
I think if you change the GPU both of them will fit your needs:

Intel: https://geizhals.eu/?cat=WL-678542
AMD: https://geizhals.eu/?cat=WL-890263

I recommend to use an Noctua L9i \L9a or a Cryorig C7G + A9x14 chromax and combine it with a 65W CPU like:

Intel 65W: 9400, 9400F, 9600, 9700, 9700F
Ryzen 65W: 3600, 3700X - my choice

4) For this configuratio you do not need case fans
5) Yes they will get stock end of month

Thanks for the response.

1/3) Think I've decided to go for the 1660TI and possibly upgrade later this year when Nvidia launch the 3000 series.
2) Also what is the maximum width the GPU can be I assume for a 2 slot it will be 40/45MM?
5) I'll make sure to keep an eye on this then to get my hands on one.

shelfcompact

Chassis Packer
Jan 8, 2020
Hey Dan, I saw you post earlier that all versions except for v4 should have the riser go up through the motherboard side. (so v1,2,3 and 4.1)
I'm guessing it's inadvisable for me to switch my 4.1 from the default mobo side I received it in to the GPU side? I was hoping to put a thermal pad between the metal divider and the back M.2 drive's controller chip.

BennyBait

Caliper Novice
Jun 12, 2019
Hi everyone.

Had the A4 SFX for a few months now and I just can't understand why everything is running so dam hot in the case.

I7 8700 w/ 645LT (I thought it being a lower TDP it would run a lot cooler)
EVGA RTX 2060S
and a 92mm fan under the motherboard bringing air in along with the AIO

I've undervolted the CPU by -0.07v and I'm still getting around 80c on both CPU and GPU when playing the new COD. I get the feeling that the AIO is fighting with the GPU by exhausting all its hot air onto it and it just ends up recycling all the heat.

Next step is to undervolt the GPU. Does everyone else get these kind of temps? Surely people with the Noctua cooler are getting even hotter CPUs.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
I myself use this case for my assemblies, but all the video cards I have are cooled by water. I will say more I had an installation with this case on 2x2080ti in sli mode and with a 240 mm copper radiator and it all worked fine, but only on water. Yes, and the Corsair 750 power supply was also inside this case

Pictures please.

Tashi

Trash Compacter
Jun 15, 2019
Hi everyone.

Had the A4 SFX for a few months now and I just can't understand why everything is running so dam hot in the case.

I7 8700 w/ 645LT (I thought it being a lower TDP it would run a lot cooler)
EVGA RTX 2060S
and a 92mm fan under the motherboard bringing air in along with the AIO

I've undervolted the CPU by -0.07v and I'm still getting around 80c on both CPU and GPU when playing the new COD. I get the feeling that the AIO is fighting with the GPU by exhausting all its hot air onto it and it just ends up recycling all the heat.

Next step is to undervolt the GPU. Does everyone else get these kind of temps? Surely people with the Noctua cooler are getting even hotter CPUs.
TDP means nothing. Your motherboard BIOS control how much power your CPU actually consumes. There is a setting in the BIOS called Long Power Duration, reduce that number to the power you want you CPU to consume.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@shelfcompact Just rount it behind the plastic shield this will also work. It is up to you.

@BennyBait The i7 8700 is rated @ 65W but without extra configuration in UEFI it will run @140W. It means the CPU try to configure itself as high as possible while beeing in the 140W range. If you undervolt it the CPU will not be that much cooler. Read the thermal guide here: https://www.dan-cases.com/dana4_faq.html The best way to get the temps lower is setup Long Power Duration Limit in UEFI to 65-95W. This will lower the temps a lot while having a performance lost of 2%.

Reactions: Tashi and BennyBait

BennyBait

Caliper Novice
Jun 12, 2019
@dondan Okay thanks, and I know this has been over a million times before but the preferred setup is intake at the bottom with the AIO and exhaust with an air cooler? I really don't want to go through the hassle of taking it all the bits again and flipping fans about.

EDIT: Just did the BIOS setting and it has certainly helped - still at almost 80c in games however - maybe I just did crap with the silicon lottery

Last edited:

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@BennyBait: Please run CoreTemp while gaming or benchmarking an let us now what it display for the Value Power this is the current TDP.
The AIO fan should pull air through the AIO.

Reactions: Tashi

guniens

Average Stuffer
Nov 28, 2019
Hi
I have some questions about fans.
My rig will be 3600/3700x + 5700xt/2070s and i will buy two noctua 92mm fans (under psu and mb). which orientation should i use?
I will use a black ridge with 92mm fan. do i need to replace stock fan with a noctua 92mm? if so, why?
Thanks in advance.