DAN A4-SFX v4.1

Insanity

Chassis Packer
Oct 7, 2019
www.twitch.tv
I launch a stress test which quickly put it to 90 so I shut it down
The temps are a bit too high yes, but Stress Tests put an almost "unrealistic" load onto the whole system or cpu depending on which one you used, the temps under gaming load are also a tiny bit high for the cpu, gpu is perfectly fine.
Do you have extra fans mounted? if you do, check if they are set as exhaust.
Check if you running the latest bios.
Bios Settings that I personally recommend for Ryzen 3000 series on SFF:
PBO OFF
AMD Cool&Quiet On
VCore Voltage Offset -0.05 / -0.075 (or follow the undervolting guide: click)

I also read people use Fan Ducts with l9i, im certain it will also work with an l9a, you can find a download here.

Reactions: Tashi and Bowspin

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@Bowspin: Ryzen has very high idle temps this is normal. The reason is the tiny chip in combination with turbo boost. My 3700X has idle temps of 55-65°C. If there are small task the CPU activates turbo to handle them faster. The small chips creates a lot of heat for some seconds. Because of the tiny DIE size and the short temp peaks the heatsink isn't able to move the heat fast enough away. This creates these short temp rises. I recommend to setup the CPU fan profile like this: 0-65°C = 30% 65-75°C = 60% 75-85= 100%

You should also install the newest chipset driver, AMD power plan and Bios updates. Activate AMD Balance Power Plan. This should also lower the peaks.

Bowspin

Caliper Novice
Oct 16, 2019
I should maybe make my own thread I don't know.. Anyway I tweaked the fan curve and it can now reach 70 idle... Essentially it goes to 70, the fan gives a big bump and it goes back to 53 before rising again little by little. Still nothing worrying in game though not going beyond ~78. Should I record my HWmonitor feed?

I haven't found that amd balanced plan and how to activate it, do I just need to update the chipset? If so it's done already
Edit : found it and it was indeed already active

The_Mad_Madman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
I should maybe make my own thread I don't know.. Anyway I tweaked the fan curve and it can now reach 70 idle... Essentially it goes to 70, the fan gives a big bump and it goes back to 53 before rising again little by little. Still nothing worrying in game though not going beyond ~78. Should I record my HWmonitor feed?

I haven't found that amd balanced plan and how to activate it, do I just need to update the chipset? If so it's done already
Edit : found it and it was indeed already active
My setup is a 3600X with l9a in a Velka 5 (same cpu cooler height but no case fans here) and the max temps I have seen while gaming are ~70, normally 45-50 idles. The difference is that I have a diy fan duct with this. Fan ducts really do help with temps.

peacecraft_M

Trash Compacter
May 30, 2019
Hi,

This might be VERY nit picky, but does anyone else experience a slight(ever so slight) gap on the GPU side panel on the top? V4 here.
Its hard to describe but if I push my CPU panel in and press inward, it is flush with the cage with absolutely no play. The GPU side gives me a very small amount of play near the top. I'm scared to try and bend the panel slightly etc so I haven't because I can live with this beauty of a case. If this is too much feel free to condemn this post, but I figure there wasn't much harm in asking. I love my DAN A4 and its my endgame.

shelfcompact

Chassis Packer
Jan 8, 2020
First post ever!

Just a quick question. I've just received the beautiful AF-SFX v4.1 and most of my components will be here by the weekend.
One thing not arriving for a while though are the two case fans that I was going to put under the motherboard and PSU.

Can the case fan under the mobo be installed with the mobo in place, or would I have to remove everything again to do that?

HAshfaq786

Cable Smoosher
Nov 21, 2019
Hi All,

I was hoping I could gain some advice off you guys. I'm currently looking to build my first SFF build. After going through the forum and looking at all the options I've finally settled on the DAN-A4-SFX. The main purpose of the build is to take with me on the road due to the nature of my work. The PC is strictly being built for 1080P 144Hz gaming only. Please see below for the specs I've decided on:

Intel Core i5-9600K/i7-9700K
Asus ROG STRIX Z390-I
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
Samsung 970 Evo Plus (250GB)/2TB SSD
Gigabyte RTX2060S Gaming OC
Corsair SFX600W/Custom Cables (PSlatecustoms)
Asetek 645LT/Noctua NH-L9i
NF-A9x14 PWM

1) I'm pretty sure the specs I have chosen would be more than adequate for high refresh rate 1080P gaming I'm aiming for. If not could you please advise on what I should change.
2) I have been torn between the whole AMD/Intel situation and landed on Intel but I'm open to anyone suggesting I should go the AMD route and why? I currently have an Intel build so more comfortable overclocking them etc.
3) Not sure if I should go air cooled or water cooled for the system. I'm open to either but would love some advice from yourselves on which is more beneficial for my setup in the long run as I will be upgrading to the 10th Gen CPU's later this year.
4) Intake/Exhaust - This is for the fan under the motherboard and I guess for the radiator as well.
5) @dondan - I did read a few pages back that OverclockersUK should be receiving stock in the next few weeks? Just wondered if that is still the case for the V4.1 Thank you.

Any advice and help on the above is really appreciated.

beejayone

Efficiency Noob
New User
Jan 8, 2020
Hi All,

I was hoping I could gain some advice off you guys. I'm currently looking to build my first SFF build. After going through the forum and looking at all the options I've finally settled on the DAN-A4-SFX. The main purpose of the build is to take with me on the road due to the nature of my work. The PC is strictly being built for 1080P 144Hz gaming only. Please see below for the specs I've decided on:

Intel Core i5-9600K/i7-9700K
Asus ROG STRIX Z390-I
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
Samsung 970 Evo Plus (250GB)/2TB SSD
Gigabyte RTX2060S Gaming OC
Corsair SFX600W/Custom Cables (PSlatecustoms)
Asetek 645LT/Noctua NH-L9i
NF-A9x14 PWM

1) I'm pretty sure the specs I have chosen would be more than adequate for high refresh rate 1080P gaming I'm aiming for. If not could you please advise on what I should change.
2) I have been torn between the whole AMD/Intel situation and landed on Intel but I'm open to anyone suggesting I should go the AMD route and why? I currently have an Intel build so more comfortable overclocking them etc.
3) Not sure if I should go air cooled or water cooled for the system. I'm open to either but would love some advice from yourselves on which is more beneficial for my setup in the long run as I will be upgrading to the 10th Gen CPU's later this year.
4) Intake/Exhaust - This is for the fan under the motherboard and I guess for the radiator as well.
5) @dondan - I did read a few pages back that OverclockersUK should be receiving stock in the next few weeks? Just wondered if that is still the case for the V4.1 Thank you.

Any advice and help on the above is really appreciated.

1) For 1080p you could consider a smaller GPU, like the 1660S, but i guess the 2060 is also fine.
2) The 9600K has a TDP of 95 W, which is not easy to cool with small CPU coolers. That's where AMD comes into play: Higher efficiency and cheaper price! You get the 2700X with 8x3.6 GHz (performs similar to a 9900K!!) and a 65 W TDP. Sure, you have a slightly lower single core performance, but the overall package is unbeatable atm.
3) You mostly get a better cooling with an AIO, but space is very limited in the DAN A-4! I've seen builds where the sidepanel is bulged because the tubes don't fit. So i personally would go for air-cooling with a lower TDP CPU

HAshfaq786

Cable Smoosher
Nov 21, 2019
Thank you for your response.

1) I did look at the 1660S/1660TI and wasn't convinced it would handle 1080P on Ultra Settings in all games. Hence I went for the RTX2060 to cover this and be a little more future proof.
2) What are your thoughts then on possibly taking the 3600X/3700X. Both are 65W TDP's as well.
3) I have read this as well and was thinking of going for Air Cooling and replacing the side panels with these https://customdesignbypat.de/DIY-Window-Kit-Acryl. Giving plenty of airflow in the case.

HAshfaq786

Cable Smoosher
Nov 21, 2019
1) For 1080p you could consider a smaller GPU, like the 1660S, but i guess the 2060 is also fine.
2) The 9600K has a TDP of 95 W, which is not easy to cool with small CPU coolers. That's where AMD comes into play: Higher efficiency and cheaper price! You get the 2700X with 8x3.6 GHz (performs similar to a 9900K!!) and a 65 W TDP. Sure, you have a slightly lower single core performance, but the overall package is unbeatable atm.
3) You mostly get a better cooling with an AIO, but space is very limited in the DAN A-4! I've seen builds where the sidepanel is bulged because the tubes don't fit. So i personally would go for air-cooling with a lower TDP CPU

1) I did look at the 1660S/1660TI and wasn't convinced it would handle 1080P on Ultra Settings in all games. Hence I went for the RTX2060 to cover this and be a little more future proof.
2) What are your thoughts then on possibly taking the 3600X/3700X. Both are 65W TDP's as well.
3) I have read this as well and was thinking of going for Air Cooling and replacing the side panels with these https://customdesignbypat.de/DIY-Window-Kit-Acryl. Giving plenty of airflow in the case.

The_Mad_Madman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019

1. What fps do you want, this is important too.

2. The 3600 is 65W, 3600X is 95W. I have a 3600X in a Velka 5 (smaller case than A4 with no case fans) and I have seen a max of 70 on the cpu, AMD TDP's are a lot more manageable.

3. Go air cooled, you can manage with l9a on this case.

beejayone

Efficiency Noob
New User
Jan 8, 2020
1) I think 1660S/TI can handle "most" games on highest settings. If you want to be sure and budget is not a concern, then go for the RTX. I'm more a fan of "buy midrange GPU this year and, if nessecary, another midrange in 2 or 3 years ". I'm not a fan of "future proof" buying, because high end GPUs lose any frame/money value and it gets worse the longer you own it.
2) The Ryzen 3600X is 95 W TDP, because it has a higher base clock on each of the cores, which apparently scales less efficient than adding more cores.
3) Problem imo is not only the air flow, it's the height/mass of the cooler itself! More clearance = bigger cooler = higher effectiveness. DAN A4 limits you very hard to small coolers. And it's a fact that your CPU throttles down when going above 75 degrees (https://lanoc.org/review/cooling/7630-ryzen-itx-cooler-roundup?start=8)! So basically TDP is your worst enemy ;)
3a) A larger GPU also raises heat in your case, so that might also have a negative effect on your CPU clock. It's not easy to find a well balanced system without any throttling.

troybot

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2018
If you have some basic cad experience, you can get the cad files from the DAN Case website and make your own (but without the black backing he has). I plan to do that when my case arrives. I had some stuff custom made before from https://snijlab.nl/nl in the netherlands (but there are some in germany too of course). Would be easily half the price and exactly as you like it

EDIT: https://www.formulor.de/ is one from Germany I was going to use, but in the end I wentwith the one above because of a cheaper price at the time

Last edited:

HAshfaq786

Cable Smoosher
Nov 21, 2019
1. What fps do you want, this is important too.

2. The 3600 is 65W, 3600X is 95W. I have a 3600X in a Velka 5 (smaller case than A4 with no case fans) and I have seen a max of 70 on the cpu, AMD TDP's are a lot more manageable.

3. Go air cooled, you can manage with l9a on this case.

Thanks for the response.

1. Ideally 100+ in most AAA titles I know some won't be but that is the aim as I've just purchased a great 1080P portable monitor ()

2. That sounds very promising especially considering I can get some better air flow going than yourself in the Velka 5

HAshfaq786

Cable Smoosher
Nov 21, 2019
1) I think 1660S/TI can handle "most" games on highest settings. If you want to be sure and budget is not a concern, then go for the RTX. I'm more a fan of "buy midrange GPU this year and, if nessecary, another midrange in 2 or 3 years ". I'm not a fan of "future proof" buying, because high end GPUs lose any frame/money value and it gets worse the longer you own it.
2) The Ryzen 3600X is 95 W TDP, because it has a higher base clock on each of the cores, which apparently scales less efficient than adding more cores.
3) Problem imo is not only the air flow, it's the height/mass of the cooler itself! More clearance = bigger cooler = higher effectiveness. DAN A4 limits you very hard to small coolers. And it's a fact that your CPU throttles down when going above 75 degrees (https://lanoc.org/review/cooling/7630-ryzen-itx-cooler-roundup?start=8)! So basically TDP is your worst enemy ;)
3a) A larger GPU also raises heat in your case, so that might also have a negative effect on your CPU clock. It's not easy to find a well balanced system without any throttling.

1) Valid point will take it into consideration before I make the purchase. Thankfully budget isn't a concern so maybe that's why I'm leaning a little more to the 2060S.
2/3) I hear what your saying but some how it seems from the other response in the Velka 5 it's doing just fine. Of course there are so many unknown variables so will play it safe as you've suggested with a 65W TDP CPU.
3A) Couldn't agree more hence why asking people like yourselves with more knowledge than myself to give me a hand trying to figure out the best balance and get the performance I'm after as well.

The_Mad_Madman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
Thanks for the response.

1. Ideally 100+ in most AAA titles I know some won't be but that is the aim as I've just purchased a great 1080P portable monitor ()

2. That sounds very promising especially considering I can get some better air flow going than yourself in the Velka 5
2060S with 3600, that would be my recommendation for you. I got 3600X because I got it for basically the same price as the 3600 and got a free game too boot.