DAN A4-SFX v4.1

SiKiaTriK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 28, 2019
Nice one. Thanks! I wasn't sure ?

Any mini itx motherboards to stay away from when using the Alpenföhn Black Ridge at all?
And what about the m.2 heatsinks, such as on the Asus ROG Strix boards, and aorus, are they compatible with it?
I can assure you that the Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI is totally compatible with the BlackRidge. If you’re considering it that’s good news ?

Reactions: Dazr87

tarfeef101

Efficiency Noob
Apr 5, 2019
Aw man why does the new impact have to be DTX... Should've done a riser board for the vrm like the maximus VIII impact.

I'll have to take a closer look at whatever is coming from all the vendors for ITX, then. If they had a crosshair I was ready to throw my money at Asus for this one. But the power delivery is too important to ignore on this platform.

dfrgu

Trash Compacter
Mar 11, 2019
Aw man why does the new impact have to be DTX... Should've done a riser board for the vrm like the maximus VIII impact.

I'll have to take a closer look at whatever is coming from all the vendors for ITX, then. If they had a crosshair I was ready to throw my money at Asus for this one. But the power delivery is too important to ignore on this platform.
Well, you may not need a C8i in a DAN. Any mobo will do 105w at 3900x's default settings

dfrgu

Trash Compacter
Mar 11, 2019
Any insight about the riser card compatibility with Ryzen 3xxx boards (PCI 4.0) ?
The first two version which uses 3M risers claimed to be compatible with PCIe4, I don't know if it is still true with the LianLi or ADT risers

Titeywitey

Trash Compacter
May 24, 2019
"compatible" is a tricky word. It should work with pcie 4.0 slots because the slots are backwards compatible with 3.0 devices, you just won't get 4.0 speeds. You might need to manually configure bios to run in 3.0, but I'm not certain.

dfrgu

Trash Compacter
Mar 11, 2019
"compatible" is a tricky word. It should work with pcie 4.0 slots because the slots are backwards compatible with 3.0 devices, you just won't get 4.0 speeds. You might need to manually configure bios to run in 3.0, but I'm not certain.
Then let me clarify that, it claimed to be PCIe 4.0 "Ready"

PeGys

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 13, 2019
PCIe 4.0 can only handle PCB traces up to 7 inches before needing a redriver/retimer

For the metric users, 17.78 centimeters, which makes the ADT 18,5cm cable PCI-E 3.0 compatible. Every PCI-E cable is 4.0 compatible as in PCI-E 4.0 beeing backward compatible.

This will impact GPU performance for PCI-E 4.0 capable cards. Your avarage 2018/2019 RTX2080Ti will run at full capacity in all those PCI-E 4.0 capable boards but any PCI-E 4.0 capable card will only use PCI-E 3.0 bandwith, not the full potential.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@Hellow:

Are you sure what I found is 10-12 inches = 250-300mm. The ADT riser is 185mm and the board PCIe length is ~ 70-100mm. So maybe it will work if the shielding is good enough. For longer cables you need a retimer. Furthermore maybe motherboard manufacturers will add retimer directly infront of the PCIe socket. This will result in a max cable length of up to 300mm.

I think nobody should be afraid of PCIe 4.0 because nowadays it gives no performance increase. For M.2 it is a nice bonus but for PCIe x16 currently useless because Gen3 and also Gen2 is more than enough. So in worse case you have to setup "PCIe Linkspeed" to "Gen3" in UEFI.

Last edited:

D10S

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 4, 2018
Looks like the 645LT is back in stock on SFFlab.com! However, it looks like it won't ship til June 28. ?
How are your temps?
I'm going to build my first "Z platform" inside a DAN,
and it's like your rig (except mobo, i'm going with giga)

omardesu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 14, 2019
How are your temps?
I'm going to build my first "Z platform" inside a DAN,
and it's like your rig (except mobo, i'm going with giga)

When my Dan was inside the shelf, the hot air was not able to get out and was recycled back into the case. In this scenario I was getting 90-100C when gaming. I then put it in open air and got about 80-90C. Currently, I reduced the Long Power Duration Limit to 90W and undervolted 125mV which usually leaves me under 80C.

And what's a "Z platform"?

Reactions: D10S

D10S

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 4, 2018
When my Dan was inside the shelf, the hot air was not able to get out and was recycled back into the case. In this scenario I was getting 90-100C when gaming. I then put it in open air and got about 80-90C. Currently, I reduced the Long Power Duration Limit to 90W and undervolted 125mV which usually leaves me under 80C.

And what's a "Z platform"?
Sorry!
Z is for Z390 / Z370 etc
This will be my 4th DAN rig, previous on X (one X99 and two X299)

In your build all your noctua are in "push", correct?

omardesu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 14, 2019
Sorry!
Z is for Z390 / Z370 etc
This will be my 4th DAN rig, previous on X (one X99 and two X299)

In your build all your noctua are in "push", correct?

Ah... gotcha!! Newb to the SFF community here... ?

Both of my case fans at the bottom are oriented Noctua sticker side up... so "pull" (from below the case) and "push" cool air into the case.

Hellow

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 7, 2019
it depends of the high of the shroud… but if it fits, I don't think it'll with a 120mm behind...so no need to go with BR

Jotunn

Caliper Novice
Jan 25, 2018
As cool as the new revision having front USB C is, there are few itx boards with that header on them. Will the previous revision panel with 3.0 type A be available anywhere or as a purchase option?