DAN A4-SFX v4.1

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
No one else is curious to see how this performs with tiny bend and the fan below???

Thermalright AXP100 C65
This guy has thorough tests:

friendscatdied

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2017
No one else is curious to see how this performs with tiny bend and the fan below???

Thermalright AXP100 C65
It might require some specific motherboards or other fiddling in order to work.

In my case with the Z390 Phantom ITX there’s less than 100mm clearance between the VRM heatsink and the DIMM slot closest to the CPU socket. The TY-100 is 101mm wide in at its narrowest position.

I was trying to squeeze the TY-100 under the Black Ridge, hence my testing this directly. It might work with the VRM heatsink removed or with RAM that doesn’t have heatspreaders, but VLP is probably the safest bet.

Reactions: fabio

mrhoffmann

What's an ITX?
New User
May 20, 2019
Greetings from Germany

For years, I have again assembled a PC. When I saw the DAN A4, I knew it would be an SFF project this time. I would like to briefly present you my compilation here.

@dondan, the case is awesome. :thumb:

Here are the components:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
CPU-Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a with FAN Duct
Mainboard: ASUS ROG Strix X470-I Gaming
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 CL15
GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 590
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
PS: Corsair SF600 with Premium Cable Kit
Case: DAN Cases A4-SFX v4
Case-Fans: Noctua NF-A9 PWM & Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM
RGB: Sharkoon Pacelight S1

List of the Parts: https://geizhals.de/?cat=WL-1215333

Last edited:
Reactions: advblue

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
This guy has thorough tests:
Actually, this is a NEW Thermalright, the height is 65, this means that there's space under the heatsink to put a fan, and we need only to bend down a bit the cooler.

With the other AXP100 Copper, I've tried 2 Times to increase the space to put a fan, and for 2 Times I've broken the heatpipes. And is the ONLY fail I had for years.

??

So maybe this is easier!

Reactions: Nanook

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Actually, this is a NEW Thermalright, the height is 65, this means that there's space under the heatsink to put a fan, and we need only to bend down a bit the cooler.

With the other AXP100 Copper, I've tried 2 Times to increase the space to put a fan, and for 2 Times I've broken the heatpipes. And is the ONLY fail I had for years.

??

So maybe this is easier!
Doh! I’ll have to check out the new 65mm version!

NathZ

Efficiency Noob
Jun 12, 2018
Hi team, I'm super pumped to get my hands on the V4 soon! I have a quick question, I think it's been discussed in this thread previously but I can't for the life of me find it...

For my high end game-rig I will be building, I want a high capacity HDD (as well as a boot M2 and cache SSD/optane M2), but also want to use the asetek 92mm AIO which I'm guessing forces me to remove the drive bay. What are my options for the HDD?? - looking at the 7mm spot at the front means I am limited to 2TB capacity... Any way I can fit something bigger (a 15mm 2.5" drive would do - i think these come in up to 5TB these days)? If it would fit, where and how secure would it be?

Any advice from the brains trust will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

UnknownBehemoth

Trash Compacter
Mar 27, 2019
Hi team, I'm super pumped to get my hands on the V4 soon! I have a quick question, I think it's been discussed in this thread previously but I can't for the life of me find it...

For my high end game-rig I will be building, I want a high capacity HDD (as well as a boot M2 and cache SSD/optane M2), but also want to use the asetek 92mm AIO which I'm guessing forces me to remove the drive bay. What are my options for the HDD?? - looking at the 7mm spot at the front means I am limited to 2TB capacity... Any way I can fit something bigger (a 15mm 2.5" drive would do - i think these come in up to 5TB these days)? If it would fit, where and how secure would it be?

Any advice from the brains trust will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks
Only a 7mm HDD will fit on the front panel.

To get 4TB you would need a 4TB SSD. The cheapest would be the Samsung 860 QVO, Ithink.
Another option is using a Dual M.2 to SATA 2.5" Adapter and install 2 2TB SSDs.

NathZ

Efficiency Noob
Jun 12, 2018
Only a 7mm HDD will fit on the front panel.

To get 4TB you would need a 4TB SSD. The cheapest would be the Samsung 860 QVO, Ithink.
Another option is using a Dual M.2 to SATA 2.5" Adapter and install 2 2TB SSDs.
Thanks for your reply.

The 4TB SSD is quite pricey down here in Australia!

R.e.your suggestion of using an adapter and 2x 2TB SSDs, what would be the advantage of this? Can I mount both of them somewhere (e.g. at the front) if I have the 92mm AIO taking up the room under the PSU? 2x2TB SSD is a lot more expensive than 2x2TB 7mm HDD - I don't think they would both fit but if they could that would be a viable solution...

Hellow

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 7, 2019
Maybe if you use ITX gfx card you can fit it next to the PSU. If not you'll need external HDD enclosure or a NAS.

UnknownBehemoth

Trash Compacter
Mar 27, 2019
Thanks for your reply.

The 4TB SSD is quite pricey down here in Australia!

R.e.your suggestion of using an adapter and 2x 2TB SSDs, what would be the advantage of this? Can I mount both of them somewhere (e.g. at the front) if I have the 92mm AIO taking up the room under the PSU? 2x2TB SSD is a lot more expensive than 2x2TB 7mm HDD - I don't think they would both fit but if they could that would be a viable solution...
It's just another option for more storage inside the case if the Asetek AIO is used.

If you don't mind external storage, you could just get a USB 3.1 2.5" enclosure.
USB 3.1 speeds (~300MB/s) are already faster than the read/write speeds of a 2.5" 5400rpm HDD (~100MB/s)

Fazer

Trash Compacter
May 14, 2019
Is it dangerous to have 2 mm between the memory stick and the heatpipes of the air cooler ? I'm not afraid about the RAM itself, but about the platic covering around it, especially mine which is white. (the cooler is the Cooltek LP53)

Vrekgar

Caliper Novice
Apr 30, 2019
Is it dangerous to have 2 mm between the memory stick and the heatpipes of the air cooler ? I'm not afraid about the RAM itself, but about the platic covering around it, especially mine which is white. (the cooler is the Cooltek LP53)

Heatpipes dont really transmit much heat at all through radiative cooling, they are more for transfering heat via conduction directly to finstacks attached to em. So having a gap like that shouldn't pose a problem at all.

UnknownBehemoth

Trash Compacter
Mar 27, 2019
Finished installing everything, got the 645LT, applied some Kryonaut, did some gaming for around 20 minutes~ , then restarted the PC.

When it booted the M.2 SSD reported "imminent failure"... ?

I'm using an ASUS Z170I which has the M.2 at the back of the motherboard, it's already 61C on Idle. It can't handle the heat I guess. Looks like the bottom NF-A9x14 fan couldn't create enough airflow to the small gap behind the motherboard.

Looks like I have to upgrade my rig to a motherboard that has a front M.2 slot. ?

haoryouu

Chassis Packer
May 1, 2019
Finished installing everything, got the 645LT, applied some Kryonaut, did some gaming for around 20 minutes~ , then restarted the PC.

When it booted the M.2 SSD reported "imminent failure"... ?

I'm using an ASUS Z170I which has the M.2 at the back of the motherboard, it's already 61C on Idle. It can't handle the heat I guess. Looks like the bottom NF-A9x14 fan couldn't create enough airflow to the small gap behind the motherboard.

Looks like I have to upgrade my rig to a motherboard that has a front M.2 slot. ?
I also have a M.2 at the back of my motherboard, but recently I put a 3mm tall heatsink on it, and the temps are now doable. Idle in the 50s, and gaming it's usually in the 62+, but never goes past 71 so far.

Vrekgar

Caliper Novice
Apr 30, 2019
Yeah thats a downside to using a M.2 on the back of the board. Tiny heatsinks exist that can help with problem. Another is to just switch to a more standard two and a half inch drive SSD, but that involves more cabling.