DAN A4-SFX v4.1

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I broke the SFFLAB website, orders for A4 is should not have been possible.

I thought I disabled payments, but PayPal orders slip through. I will make refunds within 24 hours.

Commanderwiggin

Chassis Packer
Dec 2, 2017
Just ordered my Dan A4 SFX V2 Black from OCuk

Currently this is a modification of my first SFF Build I built last week and I'm glad I came across this. My goal was to shrink my current configuration while also adding AIO...the case looks perfect!

Current Running Black Friday Quick Build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core
CPU Cooler: GeminII M4 (Runs Hot)
Motherboard: ASUS STRIX Z370-I GAMING
Memory: GSKILL 16GB DDR4 3200
Storage: SAMSUNG 512GB 960PRO NVME M.2 SSD
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC 11G
Power Supply: Corsair SF600
Case: Silverstone ML08B-H MILO

Changes:
Case: Dan A4 SFX V2 Black
CPU Cooler: Asetek 545lc AIO with Noctua NF-A9x14 Fan
CPU: Delid with Rockit 88 LGA 1151 Kit and Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra TIM
GPU: Thinking about using Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra as well.
Power Supply Cables: Corsair SF Series Premium Individually Sleeved PSU Cable Kit - Black Model# CP-8920202

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Just ordered my Dan A4 SFX V2 Black from OCuk

Currently this is a modification of my first SFF Build I built last week and I'm glad I came across this. My goal was to shrink my current configuration while also adding AIO...the case looks perfect!

Current Running Black Friday Quick Build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core
CPU Cooler: GeminII M4 (Runs Hot)
Motherboard: ASUS STRIX Z370-I GAMING
Memory: GSKILL 16GB DDR4 3200
Storage: SAMSUNG 512GB 960PRO NVME M.2 SSD
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC 11G
Power Supply: Corsair SF600
Case: Silverstone ML08B-H MILO

Changes Planned or Thinking About:
Case: Dan A4 SFX V2 Black (January EST Delivery?)
CPU Cooler: Asetek 545lc AIO with Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM Fan (Unsure if a different fan is needed or if the V2 was designed for another cooler?)
CPU: Thinking about de-lidding and using CoolLaboratory Liquid Ultra...never done a delid before but it doesn't look too bad.
GPU: Thinking about using CoolLaboratory Liquid Ultra as well. Also might paint the plastic shroud Black (This was the only card available the day I was building my PC and it's white...not going with a window case but I'd rather have an all black setup.)
Power Supply Cables: Corsair SF Series Premium Individually Sleeved PSU Cable Kit - Black Model# CP-8920202

I just delidded my 8700k with the Rocket 88 delid kit, great kit. Lowered my temps, depending on OC and voltage, 15C - 20C at load. Made a big difference.

Commanderwiggin

Chassis Packer
Dec 2, 2017
I just delidded my 8700k with the Rocket 88 delid kit, great kit. Lowered my temps, depending on OC and voltage, 15C - 20C at load. Made a big difference.

That's great to hear! Thanks for the recommendation on the Rocket 88 kit. What Thermal Paste did you end up using?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
That's great to hear! Thanks for the recommendation on the Rocket 88 kit. What Thermal Paste did you end up using?

I am using Coollabratory Liquid Pro between the die and the IHS, still using Gelid Extreme for the heatsink. I am doing a new build in a couple months when Fire's MI-6 comes out and was thinking of using the Coollabratory Liquid Pro for the heatsink. Never tried liquid metal for the regular TIM, will be curious to see how it works.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Here are two pictures of an epic x299 build of an German based A4-SFX customer:

Full-Sys Specs:
AsRock X299E-ITX
Intel i9-7920X, 12 Core,
Asetek 545LC + Noctua NF-A9x14
4x Ballistix Sport LT 16GB DDR4 2666 (64GB)
Samsung 960 Pro 2TB
Corsair SF600
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 12 Gbps Elite

Last edited:

Commanderwiggin

Chassis Packer
Dec 2, 2017
Dan that is awesome! Out of curiousity do you have a timeline for when OCuk will have the V2 cases for distribution or if they'll ship direct from you?

Tr15

Caliper Novice
Nov 26, 2017
Dan that is awesome! Out of curiousity do you have a timeline for when OCuk will have the V2 cases for distribution or if they'll ship direct from you?

And any hints when the case will be live on SFFLAB? Which path will yield an A4 the quickest?

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
I'm looking at maybe picking up an Everki Beacon backpack for travelling with my A4 (the Wallye bag is currently out of stock). Anybody manage to stuff an A4 into the console sleeve in this backpack?

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
@Tester, unless I am mistaken, the Kickstarter for v2 is closed, but the v2 case has not been delivered. Your current options are 1) Overclockers.co.uk 2) Caseking.de 3) Private sale. Dan might sell some - and likely future versions - thru SFFLab at some point.

@dondan, please clarify/confirm (and maybe add to the 1st post).

Chrip

Average Stuffer
Nov 16, 2017
I see a reference card is recommended for the A4, but I am wondering if an open-air cooler would work just as well. Im thinking that since there are more fans, that more air would be pulled into the case, thus keeping temps and noise levels down. I understand that some air would be pushed to the bottom of the case which could maybe be a concern?

I want to minimize noise levels and hear that reference cards run hot and loud. So would an open-air card work better in regards to thermals and acoustics? since the GPU has its own section it shouldn't affect the other components, right?

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Dunno why reference card is recommended (or by who), but I'm running a dual fan open EVGA 1060 SSC. The fins are aligned perpendicular to the long axis of the card so the hot air vents out the top and bottom of the card and the A4 easy-peasy.

I've said before that I think the biggest consideration for going with an "open" cooler is using a cooler that has the heatsink fins oriented to the top and bottom of the case (such as the EVGA dual-fan designs). When the fins are oriented along the length of the card, the air has to travel further to get out of the shroud (which is also non-ideal for heat transfer as the air gets warmer during the trip which reduces the amount of heat it can "absorb" from the heatsink as it moves down the length of the card), where in the A4 the front panel sort of blocks the airflow, and for many cards, the back IO plate also chokes airflow. Cards often block airflow with the shroud, so do your research on the airflow design of fins/shroud/IO plate and the case and you should be fine.

Chrip

Average Stuffer
Nov 16, 2017
Dunno why reference card is recommended (or by who), but I'm running a dual fan open EVGA 1060 SSC. The fins are aligned perpendicular to the long axis of the card so the hot air vents out the top and bottom of the card and the A4 easy-peasy.

I've said before that I think the biggest consideration for going with an "open" cooler is using a cooler that has the heatsink fins oriented to the top and bottom of the case (such as the EVGA dual-fan designs). When the fins are oriented along the length of the card, the air has to travel further to get out of the shroud (which is also non-ideal for heat transfer as the air gets warmer during the trip which reduces the amount of heat it can "absorb" from the heatsink as it moves down the length of the card), where in the A4 the front panel sort of blocks the airflow, and for many cards, the back IO plate also chokes airflow. Cards often block airflow with the shroud, so do your research on the airflow design of fins/shroud/IO plate and the case and you should be fine.
yeh that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Chrip

Average Stuffer
Nov 16, 2017
Dan, can you provide an estimate on when this will be up on SFF lab? Really eager to pick one up soon. Thanks!!

Chrip

Average Stuffer
Nov 16, 2017
Ok im going nuts over figuring out the right cpu cooler for this case. I saw Dans testing where he shows that the c7 is vastly superior to the lp53. Ive seen someones post on reddit saying C7 heatsink + noctua fan is the best combo. Then I see the common recommendation saying lp53 + noctua is the best. I also see stuff about using 4mm vs 7mm standoffs making a difference to thermals and acoustics.

Can someone help me out here? can you tell me the best solution for thermals and acoustics when it comes to this case? C7's copper heatsinks should be coming out soon too, from what I understand. Could they be a game changer?

Thanks!!

EDIT: Will be using either a z170i or z270i mobo. Asus ROG, AsRock Fatal1ty or MSI Gaming boards

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Ok im going nuts over figuring out the right cpu cooler for this case. I saw Dans testing where he shows that the c7 is vastly superior to the lp53. Ive seen someones post on reddit saying C7 heatsink + noctua fan is the best combo. Then I see the common recommendation saying lp53 + noctua is the best. I also see stuff about using 4mm vs 7mm standoffs making a difference to thermals and acoustics.

Can someone help me out here? can you tell me the best solution for thermals and acoustics when it comes to this case? C7's copper heatsinks should be coming out soon too, from what I understand. Could they be a game changer?

Thanks!!

EDIT: Will be using either a z170i or z270i mobo. Asus ROG, AsRock Fatal1ty or MSI Gaming boards

Thermolab and the noctua NH-L9i are the best.

While the C7 is pretty good, you need 5-10mm of space away from the side panel to reduce turbulence noise. As of this time those are your choices.

You can also expect a high quality cooler from Dan next year as a premium option.

Chrip

Average Stuffer
Nov 16, 2017
Thermolab and the noctua NH-L9i are the best.

While the C7 is pretty good, you need 5-10mm of space away from the side panel to reduce turbulence noise. As of this time those are your choices.

You can also expect a high quality cooler from Dan next year as a premium option.

Thanks!

Yes I am eagerly awaiting the HSLP-48, but the uncertainty of its release date has me scrambling trying to find an alternative. Will the c7 heatsink with Noctua fan provide that 5-10mm of space needed?