Cutting the Cable

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
This will be more of a development thread to test out some ideas based on past and ongoing set of builds using Asrock fanless embedded mobos Q1900DC -> Q2900 -> J3710 -> present J5005. I've been looking to totally minimize clutter in the boxes I've used lately Morex 557 and MX500, the SSDs being the main culprit. These builds have been used mainly to try out various Linux distros but also as backup as my dated i3770K/750Ti in an S4 case is starting to have intermittent video issues, a recent dust blowout seems to have settled that for awhile at least.

As these are fanless, the need for a walled enclosure is lessened, while looking at images of fanless builds I came across this makerbeam PC and found a better pic on ebay, which has a hideous amount of wires and kluge connectors but still there was promise there.

A quick exchange of plastic for Al, led to the following after sourcing a PCI-E 1x to M.2 adapter (LEDs at top are a 2 x microSD adapter from Bplus I had for awhile, possible to boot from that but Win98 slow) added the 970 EVO and LinuxMint 19 seems to boot faster than an SSD. Using Edimax USB wIfi to eliminate antenna lines from wifi slot, HDMI, USB for KM(on a switch or could use RF adapter for that and get rid of another cable). Just leaves power cable, currently have my old Z3 in there forgot how damn hot those got.

Just got one of these wireless remote switches in the mail looking at using for a power switch, should work from looking at schematic. Currently using manual method

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-No-N...hash=item4d3c50776c:m:mVCiEmEdWDLXSh1iagVBh9A

Next step will be to replace the 200mm beams in one direction with 150mm should fit judging by a 150mm openbeam piece used as a spacer will get it to 3L. Final replacement for the S4 will likely be a thin mini-ITX or STX but the beauty of these Asrock embeddeds is for ~$100 you can get the latest video upgrades and CPU/GPU already there, the J5005 is more than adequate for most average home usage. Thin ITX will allow a 2.2L build with onboard M.2 2280, unless Asrock steps up on next version embedded.

Last edited:

omnium

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Oct 8, 2018
sorry for the stupid question: which kind of aluminium profiles did you use to build the frame?

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
sorry for the stupid question: which kind of aluminium profiles did you use to build the frame?

Not at all, these are Makerbeam 10x10mm in 200mm lengths, with 60mm corner beams using their corner cube connectors. The supply seems to be drying up in the US both on Amazon and Ebay though large kits are available enough.

Reactions: owliwar

omnium

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Oct 8, 2018
Thank You! I will try to get 'Makerbeams'.
Just ordered a starter kit :)

Last edited:

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
You may still need to buy t-slot and corner cube separately, not 100% sure on that though saw a review on Amazon that IIRC mentioned something like that.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Ooh, a fanless, decluttered build :D I'll keep an eye on this project!

Reactions: el01

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
A quick hack for a power-on switch, sometimes thinking inside the box is OK

Last edited:

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
So been awhile, changed to 150mm beams, mobo fits perfect between but orientation not optimal in all respects. At least was able to eliminate a few beams and reduce footprint.

Updated the Z3 ATX DC-DC supply with a direct mount for the power cable and added a remote power unit to the 5VSB and wired the relay to a power button header connector.

Installed. The previous remote model posted was not suitable, this one has true normally open or closed relay outputs.

A really short video to demo remote power on, eventually I'll clean everything up for final target mobo, the power header won't be so far away either. Anyway another power button option besides front or back of the case.

Update: The remote works from clear across the house 30 feet or so with walls between, might be good for an HTPC setup and cheaper than a vandal switch.

Update2: Hmmm, brickless?

Last edited:
Reactions: aquelito and Goatee

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
Moved the J5005 into the makerbeam box and trimmed up the wiring for the remote powerbutton, sacrificed a bit on the Wifi wires but USB drivers for Linux are hit or miss and usually require bleeding edge kernel builds unless you compile them in yourself. Will tidy that up a little better when I fix the antenna bracket but good enough for now.

Build is running off of a 30W Toshiba 19V charger, only wires in and out are HDMI and DC power.

Reactions: wesbl

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
this power switch idea is amazing

Kind of surprised it hasn't been done more for HTPC use especially(yeah, there's Simerec IR switches but for closed case there's some modding to do and 4x the cost and RF quite a bit less fussy), will use the remote power button on future builds myself for sure.

Final take, done as much as I'm going to with this one.

Found a different low-profile PCI bracket from an old wifi card that had no EMI bump and the board screws were 3mm which allowed screwing thru and into T-slot pieces on another 60mm makerbeam post as well as crossbeam piece for stability .

Lost access to the PS2cares connectors and really the outdated VGA and DVI as well, pfft.

Last edited: