Production cases: SLM1m/ SLM1 4L/ SLM2 5.7L by Custom_MOD

NoSk0pz

Average Stuffer
Apr 3, 2017
Hey everyone, below are my thoughts on the CustomMod Slim case (and some more pics at the end). This is my first mini-ITX build and third build ever. My current setup is in a Thermaltake V21, which is HUGE compared to this thing. I'm sure I did some things that made the build process more difficult, but hey that's part of learning. Let me know if you want any other pics/info and I'll do the best I can. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with this case and can't wait to use it more. I plan on using this as a living room PC/Steam Box and for the occasional LAN.

Specs:

- CPU: Pentium G4560
- Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i
- Mobo: ASRock H270M-ITX/ac Mini ITX
- RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
- SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2
- GPU: Sapphire RX 570 ITX
- PSU: G-Unique 400w

Build Quality

The build quality is decent. The side and top panels feel light and sturdy, and the case as a whole feels very solid when put together. Rear IO cutouts were the perfect size, but I did have to work to actually screw in the GPU bracket (had to align the holes). The riser feels fine (maybe a bit stiff, but I don't have experience with risers) and it seems to work well.

There are some issues. Individual pieces of the case can be bent pretty easily (most notably the bottom internal frame). The GPU side of the rear IO is not entirely flush. The paint job feels smooth, but it can chip (I already chipped a corner ><). The feet were just standard rubber "dots" mounted with adhesive.

Build Experience

Everything is extremely tight. It didn't feel like there was much room for error. There was a lot of heavy pushing and pulling. I had to work to fit the motherboard and (especially) GPU. Taking off the rear panel helped, but the riser bracket and top lips of the internal frame caused me some install issues. I could have removed the outer panels completely, but parts of it were connected by internal screws. However, this would make it difficult to reassemble after installing components. The front USB port takes up a good amount of room internally and could potentially touch the GPU.

I had a "standard/default" power bracket on my G-Unique (4 screws). I thought I could mount the connector in the space next to the GPU, and I would have gone that route, but the GPU was too wide and the rear panel wouldn't fit correctly. Instead, I cut the bottom half of the connector bracket and shoved it in the "slim" cutout below the GPU. It's a solid enough fit that I don't need any screws or other mounting alternatives.

Once the components were inside, everything fit perfectly snug. The RX 570 ITX almost touches the top panel. The Noctua cooler is sightly shorter. There's just enough room for the cables and GPU power connector. I will try to install an SSD under the GPU at a later time, but I wanted to see how everything fit inside first.

Temperatures

I don't really have high-end components, but I figured it would be good to share the information regardless. I ran 20-30 minutes of Prime95 and Heaven benchmarks using the following setups: benchtable, open case, closed case, raised case (balancing on two boxes, ~2 inches off the table). I tested Witcher 3 (1080p, High presets) in the closed case setup, and I experienced a rise of about 8-9 degrees on the CPU and GPU compared to an open setting. Results below.

Prime 95 (CPU)

Benchtable - 52 C
Open Case - 53 C
Closed Case - 56 C
Raised - 57 C

Heaven (GPU)

Benchtable - 66 C
Open Case - 70 C
Closed Case - 79 C
Raised - 78 C

Witcher 3 (CPU/GPU)

Closed - 60 C / 79 C

Customer Experience

Communication with Sergii was great with consistent updates and quick response time. Shipping time took ~10 days total. There were lots of changes throughout the process, but this is to be expected with a custom case. Packaging was decent, but there was a definite lack of a "wow" factor when unboxing. There were no instructions for case assembly (I didn't expect anything), and I wish there were more "goodies" that came with the case (version/unit # placard would be great).

Conclusion

I have been waiting a while for this case (ordered in April), but I think the delays were well worth it. The general build quality is good, but not without issues. I do think that there are too many visible screws and it might look better without them. I also wish the power button was a bit bigger. There was a decent jump in temps, but they're still within a safe range.

There are some quirks to this case, and I probably could be more efficient when building in it a second time, but overall it was a fun experience. I'm excited to see the growth of the CustomMod name and I hope they continue to improve the quality of their products. I think they have some great designs. As a fan of the original Hutzy project, I'm particularly interested in the Flex model.

sergiiua

The builder of unique cases ...
Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
Hey everyone, below are my thoughts on the CustomMod Slim case (and some more pics at the end). This is my first mini-ITX build and third build ever. My current setup is in a Thermaltake V21, which is HUGE compared to this thing. I'm sure I did some things that made the build process more difficult, but hey that's part of learning. Let me know if you want any other pics/info and I'll do the best I can. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with this case and can't wait to use it more. I plan on using this as a living room PC/Steam Box and for the occasional LAN.

Specs:

- CPU: Pentium G4560
- Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i
- Mobo: ASRock H270M-ITX/ac Mini ITX
- RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
- SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2
- GPU: Sapphire RX 570 ITX
- PSU: G-Unique 400w

Build Quality

The build quality is decent. The side and top panels feel light and sturdy, and the case as a whole feels very solid when put together. Rear IO cutouts were the perfect size, but I did have to work to actually screw in the GPU bracket (had to align the holes). The riser feels fine (maybe a bit stiff, but I don't have experience with risers) and it seems to work well.

There are some issues. Individual pieces of the case can be bent pretty easily (most notably the bottom internal frame). The GPU side of the rear IO is not entirely flush. The paint job feels smooth, but it can chip (I already chipped a corner ><). The feet were just standard rubber "dots" mounted with adhesive.

Build Experience

Everything is extremely tight. It didn't feel like there was much room for error. There was a lot of heavy pushing and pulling. I had to work to fit the motherboard and (especially) GPU. Taking off the rear panel helped, but the riser bracket and top lips of the internal frame caused me some install issues. I could have removed the outer panels completely, but parts of it were connected by internal screws. However, this would make it difficult to reassemble after installing components. The front USB port takes up a good amount of room internally and could potentially touch the GPU.

I had a "standard/default" power bracket on my G-Unique (4 screws). I thought I could mount the connector in the space next to the GPU, and I would have gone that route, but the GPU was too wide and the rear panel wouldn't fit correctly. Instead, I cut the bottom half of the connector bracket and shoved it in the "slim" cutout below the GPU. It's a solid enough fit that I don't need any screws or other mounting alternatives.

Once the components were inside, everything fit perfectly snug. The RX 570 ITX almost touches the top panel. The Noctua cooler is sightly shorter. There's just enough room for the cables and GPU power connector. I will try to install an SSD under the GPU at a later time, but I wanted to see how everything fit inside first.

Temperatures

I don't really have high-end components, but I figured it would be good to share the information regardless. I ran 20-30 minutes of Prime95 and Heaven benchmarks using the following setups: benchtable, open case, closed case, raised case (balancing on two boxes, ~2 inches off the table). I tested Witcher 3 (1080p, High presets) in the closed case setup, and I experienced a rise of about 8-9 degrees on the CPU and GPU compared to an open setting. Results below.

Prime 95 (CPU)

Benchtable - 52 C
Open Case - 53 C
Closed Case - 56 C
Raised - 57 C

Heaven (GPU)

Benchtable - 66 C
Open Case - 70 C
Closed Case - 79 C
Raised - 78 C

Witcher 3 (CPU/GPU)

Closed - 60 C / 79 C

Customer Experience

Communication with Sergii was great with consistent updates and quick response time. Shipping time took ~10 days total. There were lots of changes throughout the process, but this is to be expected with a custom case. Packaging was decent, but there was a definite lack of a "wow" factor when unboxing. There were no instructions for case assembly (I didn't expect anything), and I wish there were more "goodies" that came with the case (version/unit # placard would be great).

Conclusion

I have been waiting a while for this case (ordered in April), but I think the delays were well worth it. The general build quality is good, but not without issues. I do think that there are too many visible screws and it might look better without them. I also wish the power button was a bit bigger. There was a decent jump in temps, but they're still within a safe range.

There are some quirks to this case, and I probably could be more efficient when building in it a second time, but overall it was a fun experience. I'm excited to see the growth of the CustomMod name and I hope they continue to improve the quality of their products. I think they have some great designs. As a fan of the original Hutzy project, I'm particularly interested in the Flex model.

Many thanks for your feedback. we value honesty. we will continue to work on our corps. Soon we will remove the video instructions for all buildings. There will also be instructions and other documents in the package.

kevlar

Average Stuffer
Jun 4, 2017
At what point do I decide that the Ukranian post office lost my package? It's been twelve days since apparently having "Departure from outward office of exchange" (not to mention 17 days since the label was made), but Canada Post still isn't able to track the number because it hasn't entered the country yet.

paullusty

Trash Compacter
Mar 22, 2017
At what point do I decide that the Ukranian post office lost my package? It's been twelve days since apparently having "Departure from outward office of exchange" (not to mention 17 days since the label was made), but Canada Post still isn't able to track the number because it hasn't entered the country yet.
My case didnt update again till the day it was delivered. Remeber it can take up to 30 days. Once it gets past that, then start worrying.

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
At least you weren't like me with the Catz C-1. Amitzoa went missing, and still is, and I never even got tracking info, let alone had it get stuck somewhere haha. The thing just appeared on my front porch 2 months after the time when I was supposed to get it.

kevlar

Average Stuffer
Jun 4, 2017
It finally showed up today! Sadly I've moved since (was hoping I could downsize my computer before moving), my friend will be shipping it to me so I'll have to wait a few more days. I'm beyond excited!

Reactions: Jonny727272

NoSk0pz

Average Stuffer
Apr 3, 2017
It finally showed up today! Sadly I've moved since (was hoping I could downsize my computer before moving), my friend will be shipping it to me so I'll have to wait a few more days. I'm beyond excited!

oh man, the anticipation! i'm curious what your experience will be. What components are you using?

at some point i want to take everything apart and put it back together to find a proper build process (maybe by installing on the bare internal frame first). it's running great sitting in my media center, but i do want to organize the cables a bit better and add an ssd if possible.