Advice Custom SFF - Sanity Check & Questions on Fasteners

SnoWFLakE0s

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Sep 17, 2024
Hi all,

I am currently working on a custom SFF case design. With my original design that required no risers, I was almost ready to go into production... but when I ran it through the shop techs, they suggested that while my design would be possible to fabricate, it would most likely be fairly difficult to get tolerances right. With that I went back to the drawing board to put together a new design that would have fairly relaxed tolerances, and swap materials from 0.05" Alu to 0.039" Steel to reduce material cost.

As you can see, it now has convergently evolved into the very boilerplate layout of most cases like these. Strong references were made to the Velka 3, but it has been upsized to fit an SFX PSU among other things. The frame of the case is built with steel extrusions/bent frames to ensure ease of fabrication, and potential tolerance-sensitive mounting points have used slots instead of rigid holes to ensure maximal leeway.

I originally thought to use wooden side panels as well, but upon further deliberation I decided against it. I was trying out designs for metal top & panels, but I am finding that this is rather difficult to do properly. My current thought is to implement a U shaped cover piece that simply wraps around the side and top faces and is riveted in to secure, but this feels like a bad solution.

My question is, is there a good way to design some easy-to-mount side & top panels?