Custom power-coated Cerberus X Build Log

altano

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
New User
Nov 21, 2018
alan.norbauer.com
I bought a custom power-coated Cerberus X and just recently finished the build.

My parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/altano/saved/2WZP3C
All Pictures:

Some interesting hiccups along the way:
  • The ASRock Taichi Ultimate motherboard has huge vrm heatsinks that limited the top fans. I could only fit either 1x120mm fan or 2x120mm slim fans.
  • The Kraken X62 on the front panel limited me to 2x120mm or 1x140mm fans in the bottom
  • The Kraken X62 AIO CPU cooler was totally new to me. I didn't realize a few things:
    • The cooler is controlled from its "CAM" app in Windows.
    • It has a customizable fan curve but the X-axis by default applies to the liquid temperature, and since the water takes a while to heat up, your CPU might get pretty toasty before the CPU cooler radiator fans spin up.
    • I was eventually able to figure out how to get it to respond to the CPU temperature instead, which seems way more sensible to me and made my peak CPU temps MUCH lower (85°C to 73°C):
    • When remounting the cooler for v2 (4 case fans), I didn't apply enough pressure when mounting the pump, which I think caused the thermal paste to not spread sufficiently. When screwing it in tighter my peak CPU temps dropped from 85°C to 76°C
    • There is a 3-pin fan cable out of the pump that serves no purpose as far as I can tell.
  • I could not mount my GPU in the x16 slot. For some reason it is just a TEENY TINY bit too far to the right to easily go in the slot. And for some reason I had the tiniest sliver more room when putting it in the x8 slot below so I gave up and left it in that slot.
Overall I'm unbelievably happy with this case. The build quality is unbelievably great and everything is so modular and flexible. I'll take proper photos with my DSLR when I get the chance in case anyone wants something better than these crappy phone pics.

Lastly, thanks to Sliger for custom power coating my case and thanks specifically to Carla from their sales team for making it really easy to put in this custom order.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Is your top panel sitting flush? Should not be raised up on the switch/front panel like it is, might be sitting up on the spacer ring around the power switch. Please check it, and let me know if it's a problem, will get it fixed. =]

Also pictures do not do that pink justice, that color is awesome in person! Great build!

EndEffeKt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 23, 2019
It looks stunning. Absolutely the eye-catcher on any desk. Maybe you could even add some white led strips in the frontpanel.

sn0man

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2020
Have you found a way to reliably remove the Noctua anti-vibration mounts once installed without breaking them?

altano

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
New User
Nov 21, 2018
alan.norbauer.com
Have you found a way to reliably remove the Noctua anti-vibration mounts once installed without breaking them?
Not sure what you’re asking. I snipped the extra length of the rubber pegs used to mount the fans because they were way too long and in the way of things like the top panel. The corner rubber pieces can easily be removed without breaking anything if you need to.

altano

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
New User
Nov 21, 2018
alan.norbauer.com
And if you’re talking about the mounting pegs, I didn’t hesitate to break them for one-time use because they’re not that expensive to get a box of if I need more in the future: NA-SAV2

Reactions: sn0man

sn0man

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2020
And if you’re talking about the mounting pegs, I didn’t hesitate to break them for one-time use because they’re not that expensive to get a box of if I need more in the future: NA-SAV2

That's what I'm talking about. I've started just breaking them once I've used them. It is annoying but they aren't that pricey. I was just curious if you had found a technique to back them out or something that was obvious / easy. That's all.

altano

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
New User
Nov 21, 2018
alan.norbauer.com
Yeah, I have no interesting technique unfortunately. I just snipped the excess rubber right off with some wirecutters. It also makes removing the fans slightly harder but it's fine. The cost of SFF, right?

Reactions: sn0man