Log Custom Jonsbo C2 with acrylic panels

dmitrybask

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 4, 2020
This is a modded Jonsbo C2 case with transparent acryllic panels. Cool, powerfull and quiet
  • Jonsbo C2
  • Ryzen 9 3900 Pro 65w
  • Gigabyte B550M S2H
  • RTX 2060 Super - MSI Ventus XS C OC
  • 2x16 GB DDR4 2400 XMP 3200
  • Noctua NH-L12S
  • Asus Xonat Essence STX sound card
  • Fractal Design ION SFX 650w
  • 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo
This is still work in progress. I'll update post photos, so you won't have to go through multiple pages. Current project state:

I always loved small pc form factor. From 2000s when VIA appeared with C7 processor and ITX formats. For some time I wanted to build a small ITX computer. From my previous build I have a sound card left, which I wanted to use. I thought I could find mini-DTX motherboard with two PCIe slots. But it appears they are very unpopular now. Maybe 5-7 years ago, but not now. Too bad, because mini-DTX would fit into almost any current ITX chasis.

So I switched my search to mATX. I wanted to find smallest possible mATX case, which will fit both a gaming GPU and a sound card. Typically small mATX cases either long or cubic. The smallest possible case available locally is Jonsbo C2. From the beginning it was obvious that thermals will be bad and aiflow going to be terrible. That was a good challenge to start with.

Last edited:

dmitrybask

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 4, 2020
Components.

I have chosen 3900 PRO, because it was obvious that stock chasis will have issues with thermals. It is easy to turn this CPI into 3900x, just setting different configuration. If it can handle 100w+ instead of 65w of course. And it costed me about $100 less.

dmitrybask

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 4, 2020
Stock chasis
Almost stock - I have added a 5mm gap below top panel to have some natural convection at least.

dmitrybask

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 4, 2020
Basically the casis have the size of the narrow mATX board (not square one).
Gigabyte B550M S2H - is a very good option on latest chipset. It has stock VRM radiators, which is really awesome. Taking into account we are going to overclock CPU to 100w+. And I needed MB with first PCIe-x1 for a sound card and second PCIe-x16 for a GPU.

dmitrybask

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 4, 2020
RTX 2060 Super - MSI Ventus XS C OC (letter C goes for shorter version of Ventus XS)
About 22cm long - I really enjoyed that the width is identical to MB - this looks ideal.

dmitrybask

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 4, 2020
Had to install it through PSU spot. I know I could probably unscrew a bracket, but didn't want to touch it.
In terms of termals and airflow - I installed 140mm Noctua at the bottom, and it apears it gave just too much turbulence. I removed it later. Large fan in a tight small chasis sometimes is a bad idea.

The reason to take mATX instead of mITX:

PSU takes air from outside, so not to choke CPU:

dmitrybask

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 4, 2020
140mm AKASA dust filter below:

I really wanted to find short SFX instead of SFX-L, but there was no good options. I would prefer Corsair SF series, but is not available in my country at all.
Fractal Design ION 650w, which is actually a rebranded Seasonic SGX - is a very very good solid device with awesome quality. But still it is 2cm longer, and SFF is all about tight space and size.

dmitrybask

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 4, 2020
Ok so after assembling stock chasis and running benchmarks, I realized It was going really hot. 65w CPU under L12S behaved not bad, but first - it was impossible to overclock it (and turn it into 3900x) and second - it heated all aliminium panels, so it you can lay hands on it to feel yourself warmer in winter.
And GPU was really noisy, event without OC.

So I started with LibreCAD and dxf files. I haven't done this before, but several youtube tutorials later I was a kung fu master of schematics.

1. Top panel - 120mm slim fan for outtake
  2. Side panel - 2x 80mm or 92mm fans for intake. The width is just enough for 92mm, so I put holes for both options. Reading Noctua specs, I saw that 80mm are quieter https://noctua.at/en/products/fan 17,7 dba instead of 22,8 dba. So there was no reason to take larger fans with probability they won't fit, and spin them slower to handle noise. And I chosen 80mm finally.

dmitrybask

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 4, 2020

New stuff arrived: Noctua 120mm fan, Akasa M2 radiator and Deepcool ARGB Led strips

Modded case now supports 2x80mm intake and 120mm outtake

Akasa M2 rad installed. Suits nice to black VRM and RAM rads

Top fan installed, side fans connected

Panels in place (top screws are temporal)

Ok, so this is the first launch. Top fan is like flying

Top view

Two led strips from both sides

With light it's much better now

dmitrybask

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 4, 2020
Today I checked, how temperature changes, when I switch off side and top fans completely:
- CPU idle 60c -> 72c (Ryzen 9 3900 OC with PBO)
- GPU idle 37c -> 42c
- SSD idle 48c -> 58c
By idle I mean running Chrome browser with background music.
And backwards