C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com
Ohoi!

Well where should I start, my name is Johan Nyman and I am a modder and SFF-enthusiast from Sweden. I have been building my own PC-cases from scratch for 6-7 years.

I started a small side-project in 2011 which grew and grew to a much bigger project, I called it CURV3D. It was "finished" twice, but it never felt like what I wanted it to be.

So now I will try a third and last time to really make it exactly as I want it, which means a small system, yet pretty powerful and watercooled. I will start by watercooling the CPU with a Corsair H75, after that I will go for a completely custom loop.

The hardware I will be using is this:

MB: Asrock FM2A88X-ITX+
CPU: AMD A10-7870K
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 2400MHz
PSU: Streacom ST-NANO150
SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250GB
FANS: 2x Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 12

RAD: EKWB XT 120mm
BLOCK: MIPS Iceforce
PUMP/TOP: Alphacool DC-LT
RES: Custom-made by Laine

This project is sponsored by - Corsair - AMD - Caseking - OCUK - Icemodz

Update 1 -
Cutting out hole for fans
Update 2 - Front and backplate
Update 3 - Layout and custom casefeet
Update 4 - SSD-mount
Update 5 - Engraving, fanfilter and sleeving
Update 6 - Assembly
Update 7 - Dreamhack Winter 2016
Update 8 - AIO-edition finished
Update 9 - Custom loop planning
Update 10 - Building a workbench (side-project)
Update 11 - Planning the custom-loop
Update 12 - Workshop and pumpmount
Update 13 - Building a IO-cover
Update 14 - Painting parts
Update 15 - Custom reservoir
Update 16 - Custom loop finished
Update 17 - Everything 100% finished!

I will start by sharing two pictures of how the first two "versions" looked like.

"Version 1"

"Version 2"

Last edited:

C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com
So lets start from the second version and see what can be done.

This time I will be using more powerful hardware, an AMD A10-7870K, which will be needing better cooling, so lets start by making the case be able to cool better.

Before there were a hole in the bottom for 1x 100mm fan, now I opened it up to be able to have 2x 120mm fans, marked everything out and cut it out with a dremel and jigsaw.

So the left fan will be pulling air out of the case, under the motherboard. The right fan will be blowing cool air into the case through a radiator.

C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com
Next thing to do is to make new front and backplates, this time in aluminium instead of stainless steel like last time.

I started by measuring out on a 1.5mm aluminium plate and then started cutting out the rough shape with a jigsaw.

Next thing was to file it down to the perfect shape.

A little picture of my little workspace.

In the front there will be a 4x20mm LCD like on the older versions as well, I use the LCD to show temperatures and media info as this will be used as a HTPC.

I will also have a 16mm powerswitch in the front so I started out by drilling out a hole for that.

Next thing to do was to cut out the hole for the LCD, same here, jigsaw and filing.

Woho!

On to the backplate then, same as with the frontplate I cut out the rough shape, filed it down and then measured out the hole for the I/O-plate and cut that out as well.

This is a idea I have for getting more warm air out of the case as well, this is the next thing I will start cutting out!

Tell me in the comments what you think!

Best regards,
Johan Nyman

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Very nice!

What's the LCD going to be used for?

Edit: Haha, somehow I missed the part where you said exactly what it'll be used for :p

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Very cool, the overall design is right up my alley, and I like how you attached the top panel with a hinge, that looks very nice. Maybe it would be possible to hide the hinge a little bit by cutting a small recession into the lower panel so the hinge can fit in there when it's folded up.
That way, only the round part of the hinge would be showing when it's closed. But as you've drilled the mounting holes already, changing that now would expose those holes, which doesn't look too great either.

Getting watercooling involved makes perfect sense here, but aren't you going to sacrifice a lot of HDD space for that?

C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com
Very cool, the overall design is right up my alley, and I like how you attached the top panel with a hinge, that looks very nice. Maybe it would be possible to hide the hinge a little bit by cutting a small recession into the lower panel so the hinge can fit in there when it's folded up.
That way, only the round part of the hinge would be showing when it's closed. But as you've drilled the mounting holes already, changing that now would expose those holes, which doesn't look too great either.

Getting watercooling involved makes perfect sense here, but aren't you going to sacrifice a lot of HDD space for that?

Thank you! :)

Yes the best solution would be to hide the hinges, but then I have to bend a new piece, for that I have to find the exact same kind of acrylic as it is slightly tinted, I built this from spareparts from another project, nothing left from those spareparts sadly.

I will sacrifice HDD space yes, but as this will function as a HTPC and I have a NAS-system at home that is not going to be a problem, a 240GB SSD is enough and then Ill stream everything from my NAS. :)

Original, some nice solutions used ! I like it !

Thank you! :)

Reactions: Mtthwmths

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Johan, it is excellent to see you here on this forum! Only recently have I seen your work as I play catch-up on the SFF scene, but I find your ideas to be fascinating and well-executed.

I would especially like to see more regarding your work with acrylic, as your pieces always seem to be curved just the way you want them to turn out and they seem to line up BEFORE trimming which I find incredibly impressive.

mitxlove

Average Stuffer
Jan 7, 2016
Im a big fan of your work! This is absolutely brilliant if only it was something that us average joes could buy..sigh lol..Oh well either way great job keep at it!

C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com
Johan, it is excellent to see you here on this forum! Only recently have I seen your work as I play catch-up on the SFF scene, but I find your ideas to be fascinating and well-executed.

I would especially like to see more regarding your work with acrylic, as your pieces always seem to be curved just the way you want them to turn out and they seem to line up BEFORE trimming which I find incredibly impressive.

Thanks Josh! :)

Well I use a heatgun and bend it with help of that.

Im a big fan of your work! This is absolutely brilliant if only it was something that us average joes could buy..sigh lol..Oh well either way great job keep at it!

Thank you! Well it is something you can make yourself! :D

Has there been any progress on this?

No more progress no, been very busy with work. Im taking some time this week though to work on the backplate.

Reactions: Mtthwmths

C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com
Finally got a small update on this project too.

The airvents are done on the backplate, started to drill a hole for the Pico-PSU.

I think it fits pretty good, what do you think?

These custom milled casefeet are from years ago, made by Fannblade. I love small details like this.

I will start off by testing to cool the CPU with a Corsair H75 and later go on to a custom loop.

Fan will be installed under the radiator so it is actually a lot of space left. With the custom loop however it will be a much thicker radiator.

What do you think?

With kind regards,
Johan Nyman