Enclosure Cryorig's 2016 mITX cases

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The 'trashcan' design is catching on. But I'm digging the Taku case more. That slide out tray to access the parts inside is nifty.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
The Taku looks very stylish, but I worry those pinholes on the top won't be so great for ventilation. Might be a pain to cable-manage with the slide-through feature without having a bunch of slack at the reat to allow for travel (would be neat if they included a rack-style articulated management arm to deal with that though).
The Ola looks close to the minimum possible diameter while still containing an ITX board. They might have been able to shorten it by flipping the orientation to use a bottom cable exit and a 'pusher' fan at the top (to cut down on the dead space for cable management between the fan and the components) which would also allow for a unitary case air filter, but this would mean having the case raised somewhat off the surface to make room, so total bounding-box volume would probably be pretty close. Though that would also allow for bottom vents and a 'flow through' airpath, rather than the side vents with the weird little fixed kick-out flaps they have the the moment, If those side vents aren't the same area as the top opening the airflow will not be the optimum possible for a given 140mm fan.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I was looking around for new build ideas.. The Taku might be exactly what I need, as I use a monitor stand already!

Reactions: zovc

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm very torn on the Ola. Need to know more to have an opinion, but I'm predicting that it will be one of the more divisive designs out there.

FCase

SFF Lingo Aficionado
FCase
Dec 20, 2015
I'm really diggin' the Taku as well. I wonder if it will come in a wide range of colors?

Mal

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I hope these can make it to production. Deepcool's Pentower never made it and seems we are still waiting waiting on word about the Antec ITX cases. Maybe they will show production versions at Computex.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
The Taku is looking great already, and I think Cryorig will refine it to make sure it actually holds their promises. It's an interesting idea to have a PC case which primary function isn't only a case for a PC, but also a phone charger cable management solution and a monitor stand.
It also nicely solves the issue of having to deal with front I/O or any customisation in that regard. No matter what device you want to connect, you just plug in the cable and run it out the top.

I do share @EdZ' concerns about wiring, though, and I don't think a wiring arm like in server racks would be implemented, even if it would be very nice. Not very happy about the internal use of space either, everything seems much too spacious for the components that can fit, but it's not really of much importance here, the case seems to be made as a stationary thing, and it doesn't look like cable management is figured out yet, so you need a lot of space to put them all.

Mango

Trash Compacter
Apr 10, 2016
I'm excited for the Ola. I never knew I wanted a trash can case until MSI showed off their Vortex pre-built. I'm glad another company followed through with a similar design while toning down the "gamer bling" at the same time.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I don't get why people call cylinder-shaped cases "trash cans". While the Mac Pro is being compared to that apparently because some trash cans are also black, round and have an indent at the top, this doesn't look like any trash can I've ever seen. The MSI cylinder-shaped case looks nothing like one and it's halfway between a prism and a cylinder.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I guess it's just because it's more descriptive and catchy than "cylindrical and tall". If you say "trash can", you know immediately what rough shape is talked about. Some see this as a derogatory term towards the design of such cases but while it can be used as such, I feel like it has grown past that and is now purely descriptive and categorising.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'd think people would take offense if I called their case designs "toasters" or "VCRs" because a certain model of those remotely looks like that. I didn't design the Mac Pro but I sure find it not worthy of the name "trash can" because of its impressive internals and build quality.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I think we could call cases like the Hutzy XS, MI-6 and A4-SFX toasters, and cases like the !nverse, the Sentry or the Brevis S VCRs, no offence taken. ;)

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
well there's also the occasional "shoe box" format that gets thrown around every now and then.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
The Taku looks great, but huge. Way too big, I'd like it if they could cut it in haLF size wise.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I like both cases. The Taku has definitely inspired me. The Ola is very well thought out and could use a tweak here and there. The site however, could have been done better. Not everyone has a display with a resolution that is 1920 - 3840 lines horizontally.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I think people need to learn to not get offended at things. I used to get really upset and offended at people cracking jokes about me but I've learned to embrace the jokes. I loved my trash can FT03's and had no problem if people call them that. I'd totally dig an actual toaster PC case too.

Reactions: Roger and Ceros_X

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
The Taku looks great, but huge. Way too big, I'd like it if they could cut it in haLF size wise.

Working on it ;) I made a concept for a horizontal stand that allows the same functionality for Brevis S, but it looks a little strange how the case itself is less tall than the space underneath it. I think that's the reason why the Taku got so big. They wanted to make it look great, so they had to increase the overall dimensions to not let the empty space for the keyboard seem disproportionate. I wonder whether the feet will be removable. Probably not, but who knows.

Reactions: Ceros_X and Phuncz

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I think people need to learn to not get offended at things. I used to get really upset and offended at people cracking jokes about me but I've learned to embrace the jokes.

Although the "trash can" moniker said by critics at the Mac Pro's expense was initially meant to be a criticism, I find happy Mac Pro users and owners call them that more than anyone else nowadays. I feel like it's an example of a term transforming into a descriptor that, if not an endearment, isn't really a criticism so much anymore.

But yeah, it's a silly think to get wound up over IMO.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I think "trash can" got popular as a derogatory term for people that disagree with Apple's new approach to support external devices for expansion, and with people that just dislike Apple in general. The current Mac Pro is definitely a pinnacle of industrial design, but I can see why it would also put off a lot of owners of the 2009-12 towers.