Cooling Cryorig C7 Cu w/Noctua Fan vs Noctua L9a w/25mm thick fan

justin_ST

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 15, 2020
Looking to move my current build into a Sliger SM560 here soon and curious if anyone has any experience with the following setups for CPU cooling:

Setup 1: Cryorig C7 Cu but replace the stock fan with Noctua's slim 92mm fan (NF-A9x14)
Setup 2: Noctua L9a-AM4 but replace stock fan with Noctua's thicker 92mm fan (NF-A9)

I'm only cooling a Ryzen 5 3600 so nothing too powerful.
I'd use the C7 Cu with the thicker Noctua 92mm fan but the combination is just a little too tall for Sliger SM560 (55mm max).

So I guess the real question is bigger heatsink with smaller fan vs smaller heatsink with larger fan ?

Reactions: ellroy80

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
Signed!
I recently built Ryzen 5 3600 into SM550 and so far I have terrible performance (granted, BIOS seems to be bugged on the new b550 board).
I am using the stock fan and my CPU is idling at 55-60 ...
Many posts on the internet claim that neither of Cryorig or Noctua is a lot better than the stock Wraith Stealh.

So I will be looking to see how will this topic unravel. Here is post regarding the noctua performance:

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Looking to move my current build into a Sliger SM560 here soon and curious if anyone has any experience with the following setups for CPU cooling:

Setup 1: Cryorig C7 Cu but replace the stock fan with Noctua's slim 92mm fan (NF-A9x14)
Setup 2: Noctua L9a-AM4 but replace stock fan with Noctua's thicker 92mm fan (NF-A9)

I'm only cooling a Ryzen 5 3600 so nothing too powerful.
I'd use the C7 Cu with the thicker Noctua 92mm fan but the combination is just a little too tall for Sliger SM560 (55mm max).

So I guess the real question is bigger heatsink with smaller fan vs smaller heatsink with larger fan ?

Not sure if this would work, but it looks like it might.

@Thehack sells an adapter that allows a 120mm fan to be used with the C7 Cu. If you used this with the slim Noctua 120mm fan you should get pretty good cooling and stay under your 55mm limit.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
25mm fan on Noctua NH-L9 won't change anything, within margin of error ...

justin_ST

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 15, 2020
Signed!
I recently built Ryzen 5 3600 into SM550 and so far I have terrible performance (granted, BIOS seems to be bugged on the new b550 board).
I am using the stock fan and my CPU is idling at 55-60 ...
Many posts on the internet claim that neither of Cryorig or Noctua is a lot better than the stock Wraith Stealh.

So I will be looking to see how will this topic unravel. Here is post regarding the noctua performance:

Thanks for the link. Honestly, I think the 3600 idle temp is a little higher than some others. I'm currently using the NH-U12S on it and it idles at 45-55 C but under load only goes up to about 60-65 C. I previously used the low profile NH-L9A-AM4 and it idled around 55-60 C and up to about 65-70 under load. My current case is the Lian Li TU 150 with NF-A12s for intake/exhasut. The CPU runs at solid 4.2GHz with no throttling during stress testing. From what I've read, the stock "stealth" cooler is not good in SFF builds.

Reactions: Tuscany

justin_ST

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 15, 2020

@Thehack sells an adapter that allows a 120mm fan to be used with the C7 Cu. If you used this with the slim Noctua 120mm fan you should get pretty good cooling and stay under your 55mm limit.

Thanks for the info and I would try that out but I'm running Corsair's Vengeance RGB RAM so they are pretty tall at 51mm so I don't think I'll have the clearance for a 120mm fan in the SM560.

justin_ST

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 15, 2020
25mm fan on Noctua NH-L9 won't change anything, within margin of error ...

Thanks for the link. I'd think that using a 25mm thick Noctua fan (not Redux), it would at least be a little quieter while moving more air at a given noise level. Granted I may not see a huge thermal difference becuase the heatsink is the same. Since I already have the Noctua cooler, I'll probably give it a try before tryign the Cryorig or just installing the Asutek 92mm AIO.

Mark13

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2020

Be careful if you order just the brown Noctus A9x14 fan. It is rated at 2200 RPM. The chromax black fans and those brown fans included with new coolers like the L9A have the 2500 RPM fan with both higher airflow and pressure.