Discussion CPU on the Back of Motherboard

dotnetapp

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Sep 25, 2019
Just found this video,
TLDW:
It seems there is a company that put the CPU on the Back of the Motherboard which gives them completly new case Designs/ possibility of cooling .
Right now they seem only to do it for rather "old" but would be intesting if some "mainstream" motherboard makers would adapt the designt in some edgecase motherboard.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
With these new cards that have vram on the back of the pcb, I have been thinking about a possible case (with sandwich style layout) in which the "spine" of the case is at the same time part of the case and also a distroplate. it could be made of copper and at the same time work as an active cooled backplate for the GPU (although if you change GPU you would need to change the whole spine) With this type of layout on the motherboard you could also cool the cpu with that spine/distroplate/cooler. lol. very expensive to manufacture and very model specific, but and idea anyway.

timginter

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
Brilliant idea really.

I wish they'd also rotate the RAM slots 90-deg so they fit better with the case airflow, like the server boards.
I spent waaay to long looking for something similar for my latest build, also any raisers or DIY extensions, etc. The best I found were ITX with SODIMM slots, but it's a very niche product. I can only hope parallel RAM will pop up with DDR5, it just doesn't make sense to have it stick out. CPU and RAM on one side, GPU on the other - that would be the dream

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
I spent waaay to long looking for something similar for my latest build, also any raisers or DIY extensions, etc. The best I found were ITX with SODIMM slots, but it's a very niche product. I can only hope parallel RAM will pop up with DDR5, it just doesn't make sense to have it stick out. CPU and RAM on one side, GPU on the other - that would be the dream
Nearly all server & workstation boards are like that, because the airflow of rackmount chassis and workstation enclosures is always from front to back.

So are BTX boards by the way! Shame the industry didn't like them.

Reactions: timginter