Power Supply Corsair SF750 Custom Cables?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Anyone know if Cablemod has Custom Cables that are able to be purchased right away? It shows the SF750 but im worried it won't have the Sense Wire on it.
Individually sleeved cable kits normally don't, as they would either need to run more than 24 wires (making the cable bundle very large and difficult to route) or put an additional thin wire inside the sleeving for the relevant cables, which would be a major hassle in terms of production (and would make PSU-side termination ugly and/or complicated). The PSU should run fine without them, but voltages won't be as controlled, of course.

XcPNehVYlE4A3C

Average Stuffer
Feb 8, 2016
thanks for the link @zugok i was just about to shorten mine but I had no idea about sense wires.

according to the FAQ theyre required for corsair platinum... so i guess it wont be quite as straightforward as I thought...

I got my tools here https://mainframecustom.com/product-category/cable-sleeving/cable-sleeving-tools/

nice quality tools, I was happy with them. crimper wasnt always great, but I have a feeling a nicer one would be several hundred dollars more though. not worth it for an amateur.

if you're just shortening your stock cables all you need is wirestripper, cutter, extraction tool, and crimper.

you just extract, cut, strip, and then crimp a new terminal on. repeat 2,340,928 times ?

I used this video https://www.youtube.com/embed/JChLj_F3Gss but i'm sure theres plenty out others out there.

Reactions: zugok

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I use this crimper from moddiy.com, which has served me well for a few years of light use. It's even tolerated some real abuse such as crimping far too thick wires (two 18AWG wires twisted together - roughly equal to 15AWG - in jaws meant for 16-28AWG) and oversized crimp pins. Don't think I paid quite as much for it as it costs now, though. Also planning to get some replacement jaws for larger gauge wire, but that's not for normal PC use. 16-28 should be perfect for the majority of PC wiring needs.

Other than that, I have an automatic wire stripper from somewhere (looks mostly like this, but not bought from AE), cheap edge cutters/flush cutters from AliExpress, and a ModMyMods Billy Brown's ATX Pin extractor tool (originally bought a cheap set from AliExpress here too, which broke within 20 minutes of first use. Fear of impaled fingers led me to buy something better). Terminals and connectors can be bought from many places, I've used Moddiy.com before as they have good pricing and a well sorted selection for most PSU makers etc. If you're only shortening the cables on the "far" side (not the PSU side) you don't need new housings, but you need crimp pins.

Reactions: zugok