Corsair SF450 vs Silverstone ST45SF-G?

Sigmaeleven

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 31, 2016
Title self-explanatory. In my area there's not much of a price difference to speak of concerning both of the PSUs.

If anyone could give me a constructive answer it will be highly appreciated.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'd wait to see what @Aibohphobia thinks, since he's SFF Network's resident PSU tester and expert, but the Corsair unit seems to mostly have advantages over the Silverstone one. These come to mind:
  • Larger fan (so lower noise)
  • More 4-pin connectors
  • More reliable semi-fanless mode (I'm not sure that Silverstone unit even has semi-fanless, actually)
  • Better warranty
  • Looks a little nicer
I personally would opt for the Corsair without a second thought.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
I have a Corsair SF450 and the only time the fan moves is when I turn on the PC. Completely silent the rest of the time. I have never owned the Silverstone unit but have heard it clicks off and on rapidly with no load.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I've never worked with a ST45SF-G in person but from what I understand, the stock fan in the SilverStone 450W units isn't that great, many people have swapped it with a Noiseblocker slim 80mm. So I'd lean to the Corsair.

Sigmaeleven

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 31, 2016
Alright, thanks for the insight y'all!

All of the comments so far has been very helpful to me. I'll go with the corsair unit instead.

Also, will it be able to power an i5 3570K and GTX 650 Ti Boost?

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I used the Corsair with an i5-6500 and a GTX 960, the fan only started spinning (very slowly) after about an hour of stress testing both the CPU and GPU. I would definitely recommend the Corsair model for a quiet build.