Power Supply Corsair SF-series Platinum recall topic

Fleetsing

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Apr 23, 2020
Hello. I thought I should give you all a heads-up on something that happened to me.

I just recently ordered components for a new SG13 build, and while my order was (well, it still is) waiting for some parts, I received an email from the retailer - one of the largest PC component suppliers here in Finland. The email said that the retailer unfortunately had to cancel my purchase of the Corsair SF600 platinum, as Corsair has identified some defects with some SF-series PSUs. According to the retailer Corsair has promised the units are safe to use, but there's an increased chance of a premature failure. The retailer has stopped selling the PSUs for now and have sent their inventory back to Corsair as a precaution. There was no mention whether this only applies to a single batch or a larger share of the PSUs in circulation.

I tried to google whether other people have encountered the same recall or not, but as far as I can tell, I'm the only one this has happened to. Though another large Finnish PC component supplier seems to also have stopped selling the SF600 platinum.

Reactions: AlexTSG

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Hello. I thought I should give you all a heads-up on something that happened to me.

I just recently ordered components for a new SG13 build, and while my order was (well, it still is) waiting for some parts, I received an email from the retailer - one of the largest PC component suppliers here in Finland. The email said that the retailer unfortunately had to cancel my purchase of the Corsair SF600 platinum, as Corsair has identified some defects with some SF-series PSUs. According to the retailer Corsair has promised the units are safe to use, but there's an increased chance of a premature failure. The retailer has stopped selling the PSUs for now and have sent their inventory back to Corsair as a precaution. There was no mention whether this only applies to a single batch or a larger share of the PSUs in circulation.

I tried to google whether other people have encountered the same recall or not, but as far as I can tell, I'm the only one this has happened to. Though another large Finnish PC component supplier seems to also have stopped selling the SF600 platinum.

Camping here for updates.

Did they explain what the defects are?

Fleetsing

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Apr 23, 2020
No, no specifics other than "some quality defects that might increase the chance of a premature failure". Not a direct quote, as the email was in Finnish.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Unrelated: Quite some time ago (maybe a couple years, IIRC), a batch of a Corsair PSU (either SF450 or SF600 Gold) in Japan was recalled because 85C rated caps were mistakenly used instead of the usual 105C caps. IIRC. Not a big deal.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Thanks for the info.

I have an SF600 Platinum still sealed in shrink wrap waiting to go into an Ncase M1 build. I received it in January, so I hope it’s not affected. I’ll be checking back here for updates.

PIRATAS

Chassis Packer
May 26, 2020
Hello there!

Had to change my power supply and decided in moving to an SFF power supply even if my actual SilverStone SG10 case do supports standard ATX formats, so to have more space for ventilation and better compatibility for future builds.

So I went for the Corsair SF750 as on the papers it looks like the best of its kind, speaking about its construction, power output, efficiency and ripple.

I'm writing this post so to ask if anyone here had any of the issues related to the failing batches reported on Reddit, LinusTechTips and JonnyGURU forums. If you want to know more about this, check 1, 2, 3 and 4.

A quick note about mine: just received it today from Amazon Italy and haven't installed yet as mine is from an affected failing batch, so I'm waiting responso from Corsair so to understand what to do regarding its replacement before even turning it on.

Regardless this issue, of witch I'm sure it will be handled successfully by Corsair, that for instance does not harm any of the computer hardware but only it kills the PSU it self (as it is related to a badly installed component in the build line), I thing this PSU is the best for SFF systems at the moment.

What do you guys think?

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
FWIW I was having issues with my 600w unit not playing nice with my vega56 a couple years ago. Posted on the Johnny Guru forums and he helped get me an RMA knowing they made a small design change along the way and I had an older batch.

Reactions: Phuncz

PIRATAS

Chassis Packer
May 26, 2020
FWIW I was having issues with my 600w unit not playing nice with my vega56 a couple years ago. Posted on the Johnny Guru forums and he helped get me an RMA knowing they made a small design change along the way and I had an older batch.
Yes, I have spoken with him as well before getting mine, and now that it is arrived and is from those failing batches I just went to tell him. Waiting for his reply.
In the mean time I have emailed the guy responsible for this issue at Corsair as mentioned on Reddit.
Hope to receive a replacement as well.

How did it take for you to get yours? Did you have to send them any info about your failed SF600? Did you had to ship it back, and in case at your expenses?

Thank you.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I have read about this in various Chinese forums, in Mainland China and Taiwan.
Corsair has announced a recall for SF750 (for batch 19504858) for Taiwan region.
Seemingly, SF600 has 'possible' bad batches too.

Then, today I read that Corsair is offering voluntary RMA for all SF-sereis PSUs with lot codes 194448xx to 201148xx.

I have a brand new, unused SF750 which is 201048xx. Hong Kong is indeed a high temp+high humidity place but the system will be used inside mainly air-conditioned room....and I am debating if I should go through this process. Good thing is, if the PSU fails, it will not damage the rest of the PC components, as said by Corsair.

Anyone here with SF450/600/750 with lot codes 194448xx to 201148xx ?
What do you think?

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Yes, I have spoken with him as well before getting mine, and now that it is arrived and is from those failing batches I just went to tell him. Waiting for his reply.
In the mean time I have emailed the guy responsible for this issue at Corsair as mentioned on Reddit.
Hope to receive a replacement as well.

How did it take for you to get yours? Did you have to send them any info about your failed SF600? Did you had to ship it back, and in case at your expenses?

Thank you.
Yes, I did an official RMA. You the user pay shipping to send your unit back. They didn't ship me the new unit until they received my old unit.

Reactions: PIRATAS

PIRATAS

Chassis Packer
May 26, 2020
I have read about this in various Chinese forums, in Mainland China and Taiwan.
Corsair has announced a recall for SF750 (for batch 19504858) for Taiwan region.
Seemingly, SF600 has 'possible' bad batches too.

Then, today I read that Corsair is offering voluntary RMA for all SF-sereis PSUs with lot codes 194448xx to 201148xx.

I have a brand new, unused SF750 which is 201048xx. Hong Kong is indeed a high temp+high humidity place but the system will be used inside mainly air-conditioned room....and I am debating if I should go through this process. Good thing is, if the PSU fails, it will not damage the rest of the PC components, as said by Corsair.

Anyone here with SF450/600/750 with lot codes 194448xx to 201148xx ?
What do you think?
Just sent the ticket as from the link you posted. Thank you very much!!!

Yes, I did an official RMA. You the user pay shipping to send your unit back. They didn't ship me the new unit until they received my old unit.
Wow!! Hope it will only need for them to see the shipping receipt instead of receiving the PSU it self, as I'm from Italy and shipping takes usually long, specially now with all the Covid-19 issues!!!

How much did it take for them to receive yours? And what about the time for you to get your new one? If I may ask, where are you from? Thanks in advance.

Will keep everyone posted about my situation ;)

claybot999

Cable Smoosher
Feb 20, 2020
I am also about to submit a support ticket, I actually have two brand new SF750 and they are both from the bad lots. :( Hopefully they don't just return refurbished units.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Well, I decide to do the replacement. The PSU is for a new build for my buddy and is his entry into the SFF world. Better safe than sorry. Do not want any unexpected thing to happen some time down the line.

Just submitted the ticket and will see how it goes. Corsair has many service centres around the world and I know they have a RMA collection centre here locally. I hope to send my unit there to avoid any postal delay. Hopefully, Corsair will dispatch a unit to me from their local warehouse.

Reactions: PIRATAS

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Just sent the ticket as from the link you posted. Thank you very much!!!

Wow!! Hope it will only need for them to see the shipping receipt instead of receiving the PSU it self, as I'm from Italy and shipping takes usually long, specially now with all the Covid-19 issues!!!

How much did it take for them to receive yours? And what about the time for you to get your new one? If I may ask, where are you from? Thanks in advance.

Will keep everyone posted about my situation ;)

I live in the USA and Corsair has an office here for RMA (though it is on the other coast). I'm sure it's different in Europe.

PIRATAS

Chassis Packer
May 26, 2020
I am also about to submit a support ticket, I actually have two brand new SF750 and they are both from the bad lots. :( Hopefully they don't just return refurbished units.
Wow! Never thought I could get a refurbished item. I hope really not!!!

I live in the USA and Corsair has an office here for RMA (though it is on the other coast). I'm sure it's different in Europe.
I really don't know how it is in Europe, but I really hope to not have to wait months for this to resolve due to some big distance and long postage shipments.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
If you have purchased any Corsair SF Series manufactured between October 2019 and March 2020 you may want to take advantage of Corsair’s voluntary product replacement program.

Units with a lot code between 194448xx and 201148xx are affected.

More info and a link to Corsair’s support page can be found here:

My SF600 was manufactured just early enough to avoid the problem. Lot number 194348...

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I suggest if one does not reside in North America and wishes to replace an affected unit, better try to handle through the local Corsair channel (eg authorized dealer, representative or distributor). This might be faster.
I am going to replace my SF750 and the local Corsair distributor is doing the replacement locally. The good part is, of course, my unit and the new unit do not need to go through the international postal system, which is still a mess due to COVID-19.

Reactions: AlexTSG and ignsvn

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Speaking of which, what is Corsair's stance on the unit condition upon replacement:

Do you need to wait until your PSU bust, or you can straight away replace it as long as it was produced under the recalled batch range?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Speaking of which, what is Corsair's stance on the unit condition upon replacement:

Do you need to wait until your PSU bust, or you can straight away replace it as long as it was produced under the recalled batch range?
The latter. No need to wait for it busted. If your unit falls into that batch lot code range, then you can replace it.
Mine is unused at all. My local Corsair distributor told me to just bring the unit to them and a brand new one will be exchanged on the spot. I will do it tomorrow or next week. I want to do it sooner because if the distributor runs out of stock, then I have to wait (who knows when) until they restock.

Read it for yourself.