Production CONSOLE and CONSWOLE: entry level 2-slot and 3-slot console cases! [Available Now!]

tifaff

Average Stuffer
May 8, 2019
if you do a premium version and a basic one?

i mean, side panel removable with brackets will be $15? that feat is far better than the IO.

ThiccTurkeySammich

Case Bender
New User
Oct 6, 2019
@KSliger

This definitely has my interest. Was worried I wouldn't get a shot premium made console style case since the Sentry isn't available outside of campaigns. Definitely liking the looks so far but I've wondering if this case will be made with the GPU and CPU facing the same way only or would there be an option to have the facing opposite directions since that would lead to having a smaller riser card? I can understand facing the same way which would allow it to sit flat which is good for those that like that. Also, not sure if I overlooked it, but are there any renderings for a stand to sit this case vertically?

Last edited:

snailonni

Trash Compacter
Aug 27, 2019
it does looks good, and it is exciting to see newcases like this compete in the console size. but i was wondering if it can handle the heat produced by 1080ti? As it is so small, I am worried about the airflow. I had a evga sc2 1080ti. also i got a 8700k, add on extra heat.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
update or picks?

1. Changing the case to have front panel IO same as the SM series. Working on how to price it as an option, or maybe price it as every case gets the same type (single 19 pin, no Type E.)

2. Changing the Console to have space to mount two 120mm slim fans behind the GPU, flipping PSU around, should make the case all intake one side and exhaust the other.

3. Changing vent pattern slightly.

4. Adding HDPLEX support for DC input builds. (for in vehicles, SCADA systems, etc.)

CONSMOLE might not make Black Friday, but CONSOLE and CONSWOLE will.

Bowspin

Caliper Novice
Oct 16, 2019
Hello, I hope my reply will make sense as I'm totally new to this SSF world.

For the little story I need a computer I can take the plane with and I started looking around how it can be done and was pretty much settled on choosing the node 202 as a case, as I really want a backpacker friendly console size, although the 202 seems to have plenty of air cooling issues and unconsistant results.

Anyway while I was searching I came across the s401 that is unfortunately unavailable and now this one, that looks absolutely wonderful and ticks everything I'm looking for.

My main concern is about the temperature and noise these little boys can achieve, so do you think the "console" introduced in this thread would be suited for a ~1500$ build including things like a 5700 xt or a 2070 super without having to spend a lot of extra money on extra fans and such? Or is it made only for more humble builds made with cards naturally light in power usage?

I have to add I only built 4 computers in the past for my friend's family and I and all of them were standard size. Also I am not at all an expert in any electronics stuff and just follow a bunch of guides haha

Sorry for the long post and thank you!

Reactions: CountNoctua

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
What CPU? GPU can be fairly easily and quietly cooled as long as it's near vented panel (which is true of most console-style cases like this one).

You should be good with CPU as well, I think a good low-profile cooler (e.g. Noctua L9i or L9a, Alpenfoehn Black Ridge, Cryorig C7 Cu, etc) or AIO can handle anything you would be looking at in that budget.

Last edited:

Bowspin

Caliper Novice
Oct 16, 2019
So the plan is to do it in decembre or early January so I can't really tell what it would be depending on what foes out but if I were to do it now it would be with something like a Ryzen 5 3600, a rt 5700 xt, then probably just an M.2 NVMe drive for storage as I have space elsewhere, one of the cpu cooler you suggested 16Go of low profile ram a corsair 600 gold power supply and Voilà ~ kind of thing haha

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
I would say 3600 would be doable. Basically anything that can be cooled by 53mm cooler (like noctua L9, cryorig c7, blackridge, etc) is doable. for GPU, as long as it is a good AIB solution and it can fit, you should never have problem cooling it.

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
Yeah, Ryzen 3600 or below is perfect fit for this height air cooler. Anything higher and the size of the heatsink could be limiting in terms of heat disipation in certain scenarios.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Bowspin

Caliper Novice
Oct 16, 2019
Cool thank you so much! I hope I will have the chance to get my hand on one of these then! I was a bit worried because the node 202 already has temp issues and these ones are even smaller!

Anyway can't wait to try this out it's really exciting

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
iirc, Node 202 issue comes from trapping the heat inside the case and not for it being small.

Haven't used it, but doesn't surprise me. This case has sizable ventilation on both sides, though, so it won't be dumping too much excess heat into system, especially if using 2 slim fans behind the GPU (recent change ksliger noted with the Console case).

Looking at google images for node 202, looks like horizontal orientation is used frequently, which is not ideal, particularly with only partial ventilation coverage and relatively low clearance above surface provided by case feet.

Last edited:

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
UPDATE!

Going a slightly different direction with the vent design. =p

Added support for two slim 120mm fans behind the GPU. Venting and fan placement is designed to pull air through the case, across the CPU, PSU, and GPU, and exhaust out side away from where it can get taken back into the case. Should allow running more mid range builds such as 3700X + 2080.

Optional stick on feet for the bottom.

Side panel is now on ball studs, no external hardware on sides.

Front panel has to remain screwed on for now due to cost reasons.

USB C, USB A, and 2x Audio in front will be optional. Adding it in will be +$25.

Base plate will be optional as well. + $15

The base plate is mounted with the same screw thread / locations as our handle.
So handle support is built in, but it's rather goofy in that it is on "bottom" of the case.

If I am going for a build with more than SSD, whats the layout for the internals ?

You're looking for HDD support? How many?

I hope there'll be an actual stand available that preserves the bottom ventilation versus just a flat base plate. ?

With change to the airflow the vents that get blocked by the bottom plate do not do anything even when the plate is not installed. Plate will make no difference on cooling with new layout.

iirc, Node 202 issue comes from trapping the heat inside the case and not for it being small.

Correct and this is what I am trying to avoid. New fan placement should be able match temperatures of the SM550.

Hello, I hope my reply will make sense as I'm totally new to this SSF world.

For the little story I need a computer I can take the plane with and I started looking around how it can be done and was pretty much settled on choosing the node 202 as a case, as I really want a backpacker friendly console size, although the 202 seems to have plenty of air cooling issues and unconsistant results.

Anyway while I was searching I came across the s401 that is unfortunately unavailable and now this one, that looks absolutely wonderful and ticks everything I'm looking for.

My main concern is about the temperature and noise these little boys can achieve, so do you think the "console" introduced in this thread would be suited for a ~1500$ build including things like a 5700 xt or a 2070 super without having to spend a lot of extra money on extra fans and such? Or is it made only for more humble builds made with cards naturally light in power usage?

I have to add I only built 4 computers in the past for my friend's family and I and all of them were standard size. Also I am not at all an expert in any electronics stuff and just follow a bunch of guides haha

Sorry for the long post and thank you!

Your build is exactly what I am targeting with this case! Not meant for 9900k / 2080ti builds, but a 3700X and a 2070S or so will be perfect, and lower end systems will be very quiet.

Last edited:

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
UPDATE!

Going a slightly different direction with the vent design. =p

Added support for two slim 120mm fans behind the GPU. Venting and fan placement is designed to pull air through the case, across the CPU, PSU, and GPU, and exhaust out side away from where it can get taken back into the case. Should allow running more mid range builds such as 3700X + 2080.

Optional stick on feet for the bottom.

Side panel is now on ball studs, no external hardware on sides.

Front panel has to remain screwed on for now due to cost reasons.

USB C, USB A, and 2x Audio in front will be optional. Adding it in will be +$25.

Base plate will be optional as well. + $15

The base plate is mounted with the same screw thread / locations as our handle.
So handle support is built in, but it's rather goofy in that it is on "bottom" of the case.

You're looking for HDD support? How many?

With change to the airflow the vents that get blocked by the bottom plate do not do anything even when the plate is not installed. Plate will make no difference on cooling with new layout.

Correct and this is what I am trying to avoid. New fan placement should be able match temperatures of the SM550.

Your build is exactly what I am targeting with this case! Not meant for 9900k / 2080ti builds, but a 3700X and a 2070S or so will be perfect, and lower end systems will be very quiet.

Sorry for any ignorance to answers to my questions in previous posts(although I didn't see any of my following questions answered/asked) and lack of understanding the layout of the case itself.

1. It looks like in the pictures thats the slim 120mm fans will have their own shroud? That seems like it would increase the cost quite a bit.
  2. (Point 1 b. But couldnt edit that into the list because i'm on mobile and I don't have a "tab" button) I do understand this would increase the rear asthetic by not requiring screws on the back in those positions, but it seems a bit excessive especially since those 8 standoffs and extra sheet cut/punched, bent and finished (sanded/painted) would increase manufacturing cost.... Also wouldn't the 120mm aio require screws to be installed from that side of the case thus rendering the rear asthetic already compromised if the end user decides to go that route... This is all if screw-less asthetic is the main reason for the bracket contraption, or I may misunderstand how the 120mm aio is attached.... All this said, it looks like there is a whole rear pannel that would cover any screws regardless of how the fans/aio are mounted.
  3. Also the vent pattern on that shroud looks different to the vent pattern on the case.... Any reason as to why that was chosen?
  4. Also is the vent pattern near the rear GPU i/o going to be the same or different from the vent pattern on the sides(in the picture is is currently different, but that may have been an accidental oversight)
Edit: better clarification and formatting

all in all, great work and I look forward to your progress and this case! :D (sorry for my long winded and somewhat nit-picky comments, I'm truly excited to see the work you have put into the case and the feedback you are taking! Is wonderful!)

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est and chyll2

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Love this update! I think the slim fans to exhaust excess heat is a great idea. However, I'm wondering how the PCI riser will be routed as it's going to interfere with one of those exhaust fans flow path.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Sorry for any ignorance to answers to my questions in previous posts(although I didn't see any of my following questions answered/asked) and lack of understanding the layout of the case itself.

1. It looks like in the pictures thats the slim 120mm fans will have their own shroud? That seems like it would increase the cost quite a bit.
  2. (Point 1 b. But couldnt edit that into the list because i'm on mobile and I don't have a "tab" button) I do understand this would increase the rear asthetic by not requiring screws on the back in those positions, but it seems a bit excessive especially since those 8 standoffs and extra sheet cut/punched, bent and finished (sanded/painted) would increase manufacturing cost.... Also wouldn't the 120mm aio require screws to be installed from that side of the case thus rendering the rear asthetic already compromised if the end user decides to go that route... This is all if screw-less asthetic is the main reason for the bracket contraption, or I may misunderstand how the 120mm aio is attached.... All this said, it looks like there is a whole rear pannel that would cover any screws regardless of how the fans/aio are mounted.
  3. Also the vent pattern on that shroud looks different to the vent pattern on the case.... Any reason as to why that was chosen?
  4. Also is the vent pattern near the rear GPU i/o going to be the same or different from the vent pattern on the sides(in the picture is is currently different, but that may have been an accidental oversight)
Edit: better clarification and formatting

all in all, great work and I look forward to your progress and this case! :D (sorry for my long winded and somewhat nit-picky comments, I'm truly excited to see the work you have put into the case and the feedback you are taking! Is wonderful!)

1. There is a shroud and it is to keep the riser cable and other wires out of the fans particularly when laid flat. No change to price, this is a very simple bracket.

2. There are only 4 standoffs, 2 per fan. These standoffs slide into the holes on the 120mm fans, and then the shroud has counter sunk screws that clamp the shroud down onto the fans. No fan screws needed as the fans are positioned by the standoffs, and held in place by the shroud screws.

Adding in the dual 120mm fans and front panel IO also eliminated the 120mm radiator support. I think better air cooling support will help more people than 120mm AIO support with short GPUs will. I will update first post to remove mention of 120mm AIO.

3. It is the same pattern that is on the SM550 bottom, very open to minimize fan noise and maximize airflow.

4. Good catch, I went and changed this to match rest of case. Currently running a thermal flow simulation to see if it is even needed, might take some or all of this venting out entirely.

Love this update! I think the slim fans to exhaust excess heat is a great idea. However, I'm wondering how the PCI riser will be routed as it's going to interfere with one of those exhaust fans flow path.

Thermal calculator loves it too, says I should be able to run a 550W load at 70C using Noctuas thin 120mm fan specs -- will see if that holds true!

Correct there is also a fan shroud, same as above comments, this is to keep the riser cable out of the fans.

Both fans will be constricted a bit on airflow, but they should be able to keep the heat moving out of the case enough to make this case rival the SilverStone RVZ03 temperature and component wise.

Here's a review by GamersNexus on the RVZ03: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwrevie...review-for-gaming#!/ccomment-comment=10010785

Note that case has the fans blowing in on the GPU (not helping the CPU) and does not have USB C, plus it is 14L in volume and looks like the aliens from Crysis designed it.

Hopefully this Console design does the same CPU / CPU parts and temps in 8.2L and for only $20~$25 more.