Production CONSOLE and CONSWOLE: entry level 2-slot and 3-slot console cases! [Available Now!]

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
I'm torn on the front panel support. If this were for a VR system I would want it. Voted yes, though, because I figure an HTPC/emulated console use case may also benefit from it, and I personally don't mind paying a little more if other people need it.

Jibbajabbawockers

Average Stuffer
May 2, 2019
I'm torn on the front panel support. If this were for a VR system I would want it. Voted yes, though, because I figure an HTPC/emulated console use case may also benefit from it, and I personally don't mind paying a little more if other people need it.
Yeah, if I were to go for a case like this I'd likely be using it more as a HTPC type unit, hooking it up to my TV but I don't really have a strong use case for front panel I/O that I could think of . Still, if its only about $15 more, I'd take it.

teodoro

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 8, 2018
The improvement is not needing a hub
Sure, but you’re also requiring everyone who never uses the front I/o to pay an extra $5-15 for zero value. Aesthetically some will prefer no ports, too.

If you’re going to travel/move the case a lot, I can see not wanting to have another dongle to manage. But if you’re already moving the case, you probably already have access to the rear I/o.

If you’re keeping the case in a semi-permanent location, you probably have the space available to hide a hub so it’s less visually intrusive.

It’s entirely possible that the absence of front I/o would discourage more sales than the cheaper cost would bring in (though I’m doubtful of that). Ideally there would be a system like the M1 V6 where the it can be added separately. I believe a big reason it’s still forced on everyone (vs an add-on cost) for that case is due to shipping restrictions where Sliger has more flexibility.

Reactions: pwnedundies

Linero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2017
Sure, but you’re also requiring everyone who never uses the front I/o to pay an extra $5-15 for zero value. Aesthetically some will prefer no ports, too.
Hence why he created the strawpoll to decide based on the majority's demands.

It’s entirely possible that the absence of front I/o would discourage more sales than the cheaper cost would bring in (though I’m doubtful of that).
You would be surprised. I am one of those people who is interested in console form factor cases for mobility reasons/needs. The portability I need, also includes not carrying things such as a USB dongle. I won't say that I would outright dismiss the idea of considering this case if the front I/O idea was to be scratched off. Nevertheless, It would still be a major inconvenience. For the cost overhead too, it becomes an easy decision!

Ideally there would be a system like the M1 V6 where the it can be added separately. I believe a big reason it’s still forced on everyone (vs an add-on cost) for that case is due to shipping restrictions where Sliger has more flexibility.
I could not agree more! While I am certain that he will turn this down (for good reasons). I would still love that approach.

tifaff

Average Stuffer
May 8, 2019
i dont want usb panel, stop asking for that, this case is supposed to be cheap and minimalist, if you don't like it, this case it's not for you.

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
i dont want usb panel, stop asking for that, this case is supposed to be cheap and minimalist, if you don't like it, this case it's not for you.

I respect that, but at the same time someone could say there are plenty of cheap and minimalist cases from mass production manufacturers or Taobao, and if you don't want x feature that the majority wants, this case is not for you.

Whatever ksliger decides is fine with me, I'm mainly looking at size and airflow.

tifaff

Average Stuffer
May 8, 2019
I respect that, but at the same time someone could say there are plenty of cheap and minimalist cases from mass production manufacturers or Taobao, and if you don't want x feature that the majority wants, this case is not for you.

Whatever ksliger decides is fine with me, I'm mainly looking at size and airflow.
There's not massive production of this type of cases with no frontal panel and this size.
Ppl are trying to change the main idea, so, i am not the one who is not satisfied, ergo, if someone look at usb FP this case is not for them.

thats just what i think

no usb panel = best looking, less wires, more cheap

i mean, even monitors in this day have a lot of usb ports

Reactions: pwnedundies

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
Less wires except for the long USB cable you'd have to route around the case to get USB functionality with a hub.

You may be right that there aren't a ton of cases this size without front panel, but that's a double-edged argument: it could mean there isn't much demand for it, and that no front I/O would turn away a lot of buyers. Hard to say without market research.

If this weren't a console-sized case, yes, I'd agree with you, but this form-factor sees higher use in enclosed spaces like a cabinet or rack (probably not a proper server rack, mind you) where the rear isn't as accessible, and a hub is actually an uglier solution than just having front I/O.

I don't see how no front panel I/O was the "main idea". Main idea is the small size of these cases. The design of the case is mostly unchanged with the addition of front panel.

If the extra $15 puts the case out of the price range of a significant number of people, then maybe the front I/O idea should be axed. I'm not sure of that, though; $165 vs $150 doesn't seem like a huge barrier. At the $50-$100, bargain basement, highly competitive ATX case level, $15 makes more of an impact.

Last edited:

Linero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2017
Sooo, the majority of people should stop asking for front I/O panel because you do not want it. That's a compelling argument...
?‍♂️

Last edited:

tifaff

Average Stuffer
May 8, 2019
Sooo, the majority of people should stop asking for front I/O panel because you do not want it. That's a compelling argument...
?‍♂️
im not alone in this, the pull was very closed, ppl dont want to pay 15 extra bucks or just doesn't like it or doesn't even use it.

as i say, the main idea (correct me if I am wrong) was the case console style for $150

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
Personally I like the front io but don’t like the screws showing lol. Regardless, I think Sliger will do what he thinks is best.

Reactions: CountNoctua

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
im not alone in this, the pull was very closed, ppl dont want to pay 15 extra bucks or just doesn't like it or doesn't even use it.

as i say, the main idea (correct me if I am wrong) was the case console style for $150

I am going to see what I can do to offset this cost increase by making some other features optional.

I really think being sub $150 is important.

Personally I like the front io but don’t like the screws showing lol. Regardless, I think Sliger will do what he thinks is best.

I will be changing this to have IO and no screws on front panel, since those seem to be two biggest gripes.

I also changed it to accept slim 120mm fans behind the GPU to act as exhaust, should help temperatures.