(Concept) Prefect Water Cooling for SFF ?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
3M Novec
one gallon
List Price: $425.75

Its certainly possible but its not cheap
On the plus side, a gallon would be plenty. A 4.5L case should be doable when no fans are needed, considering the volume components would occupy, even a larger case would be possible. Just very impractical I would guess, or can it work completely sealed ?

Last edited:

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
I wonder how often this would need to be topped up or how quickly (if at all) the novec would evaporate off

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
I wonder how often this would need to be topped up or how quickly (if at all) the novec would evaporate off

Theoretically? Never.

Of course nothing ever goes according to plan when talking about theoretical and real world applications. From looking over information in the server market (where this stuff is used) its about 5%/year. But getting the fluid isnt the only part you need, you also need a source of cold water for the condensors that turn the gaseous novec into the liquid form. All in all its gonna run you ~$2k USD just for the cooling setup (if you do it the legitimate way with real condensors and a cold water tap) or ~$1k USD (if you do it the ghetto way with a few radiators, pump, and some fans).

jØrd

sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Given that 3M markets this stuff as fire suppression fluid i'd hazard a guess that the vast majority of sales are in bulk and business to business and that in some places there may be restrictions as to who can and cant purchase it more so than import restrictions but i could very well be wrong.

Last edited:

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016
On the plus side, a gallon would be plenty. A 4.5L case should be doable when no fans are needed, considering the volume components would occupy, even a larger case would be possible. Just very impractical I would guess, or can it work completely sealed ?
The case has to be completely sealed anyway to keep it all in. Also, that radiator has to be present just to compress the gaseous Novec.

jØrd

sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
For some additional reference

Reactions: Phuncz

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
I looked into it and I can get a Liter of it from a couple of contacts. Not enough to do anything with it tho and it would cost me $150 and Id need to go physically pick it up which is 100 miles from me. Needless to say Im not going to attempt it but you can get the stuff if you know the right people.

Reactions: Biowarejak