News Computex: new Noctua products !

120mm slim fan:

(3D-printed prototype)

120mm A-series fan:

Look at those tolerances between fan blades and casing :eek:

Source: http://tweakers.net/reviews/4045/2/...ekende-modellen-heatsinks-en-ventilators.html

Reactions: jeshikat

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Indeed, with a proper bearing too !
I would guess we'll see the SX500-LG topic on Hardforum light up like a christmas tree :D

esplin2966

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 2, 2015
Man, the selection for 120mm slim fans finally got a bit larger. Perfect, since I'll be using slim fans in my case too. :)

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
Ha, that 200mm fan is in the photos too. Also from last year. Wonder if it'll come out. I'd like to get one into a TJ08E if possible.

That 120 A-series is mighty interesting...

veryrarium

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 6, 2015
Targeted release time according to the update:
the 120mm GT-lookalike fan: Q1 2016
the 200mm fan: Q4 (not sure 2015 or 2016)
the 15mm-thick 120mm slim fan: mid-2016
24V industrialPPC versioons of NF-F12 and NF-A14 fans: Q4 2015
From the way it's explained I take it that the GT-lookalike fan will come with the active noise cancellation IC inside the hub, pretty exciting. (Probably not price wise, though.)
I'm really surprised that they guarantee their 24V industrialPPC fans have such a wide operating voltage range.

rawr

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2015
Mid 2016 for the thin fan?! It better be freakin awesome.

Last edited:

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
They take forever to bring stuff to market :/

Just consider how long they only had tan and brown fans :oops:

veryrarium

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 6, 2015
The reasons for the 200mm and slim 120 fans taking so long were explained in this article as follows:
The prototype we saw last year, and this year again, is a 15 mm thick 120 mm fan. The reason why it is still in its prototype phase is simple: because it is so thin, building the motor is very difficult. The use of a narrower bearing means that the blades are more likely to wobble, causing more noise and unstable operation, which increases vibration.
The 200 mm fan was also on display, and it's also still in the development phase. Last year it looked almost finished, but Noctua had to go back to the drawing board with its design because of its weight. If you were to have the fan mounted vertically, it would run without issue, but with the fan mounted horizontally and pulling air up, it would put too much strain on the bearing, reducing its lifetime.
The stopper that kept the impeller attached to the frame would also hit its edge, which would create a minute but apparent grumbling noise. With plenty of cases having room for top-mounted 200 mm fans, Noctua couldn't see itself bringing the fan to market.

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It's good the reasons are because of maintaining quality, these are the problems that other companies take for granted.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
We could use a quality slim 120mm fan, so the efforts are appreciated to see that it is one.

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
The reasons for the 200mm and slim 120 fans taking so long were explained in this article as follows:

Yet another reason why I'm a Noctua fan. They won't release products unless it's top-notch quality, so when you buy it, you know it's passed through layers of quality considerations you wouldn't even think of.

Edit: It's true that I've bent cases.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
I'm not sure if that translates to low MOQ for a small run project, but it would be quite nice. Someone looking to perhaps have a custom solution that integrates into the case itself for heat dissipation would be fantastic.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Soon: Kimera Hot Pepper, a +200W capable heatsink ?

If they'd only do a proper blower-style cooling solution for current Radeon and Geforce cards :rolleyes: