Completely 3D Printed 11L m-ATX Case

zenexmachina

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Feb 4, 2018
Hi Everybody!

So after lurking these forums for a while and building (according to reddit) the stereotypical NCASE build (Noctua fans, Arctic Acellero III, etc), I got bit by the SFF bug and decided to design and print a case for my wife, while keeping as many of the same components as possible. This was more of a personal project and challenge to myself to refine my design skills, as I only have a CSWA to attribute to my design competency.

The only changes I've had to make to her build were the shift from a Corsair CX650 to a Corsair SF 600, changing a Hyper 212 Evo to a Noctua L9-i, and adding a riser cable for GPU.

Everything was printed in Hatchbox Black PLA at 0.2mm layer height. I know PLA is softer than things like ABS and PETG, but since here components aren't being OC'd, and she goes through blocks/phases of playing Skyrim and ESO for periods of time, I really want to see how bad the warping would be with PLA before I dedicated myself to requiring a more rigid material to support 3D Printing future case projects.

Complete build is as follows:

Mobo: ASROCK H97M
CPU: Intel i3-4370
Cooler: Noctua L9-i
RAM: 12gb mixed DDR3 RAM
GPU: EVGA GTX 950
Riser: Athena Power 100mm 90degree riser card from Newegg (available here if you need one in the US)
Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 Evo
PSU: Corsair SF600
Fans: Silverstone FW121 120mm Thin (15mm) fans
Hardare: M3 Plastic Heat-Set Inserts from McMasterCarr, 3mmx1mm Magnets from Amazon, Various M3 hardware from Amazon for standoffs, screws, etc.

The build honestly isn't complete, I still have to print the Zelda themed air filters (backed by polyester mesh), but i'm waiting on the filament to arrive, and I was so excited about getting this far I just had to share.

Any comments or questions about design intent, print, or assembly, please let me know. This is my first foray into designing ANY case, let alone one that is SFF worthy, and I'd really like input.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I think you did a really nice job with this case. The interlocking design looks really great and for PLA it looks like it holds up nicely. Also that layout is one that's less commonly approached here, and with mATX compatibility so it can support cheaper boards.

zenexmachina

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Feb 4, 2018
I think you did a really nice job with this case. The interlocking design looks really great and for PLA it looks like it holds up nicely. Also that layout is one that's less commonly approached here, and with mATX compatibility so it can support cheaper boards.

Thanks! I really appreciate it!

The interlocking design originally stemmed from concerns about rigidity like you said, we'll see how it holds up completely enclosed after extensive gaming.

The layout is definitely atypical, but I honestly can't see a reason why the sandwich approach is better, unless I'm really missing something.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Thanks! I really appreciate it!

The interlocking design originally stemmed from concerns about rigidity like you said, we'll see how it holds up completely enclosed after extensive gaming.

The layout is definitely atypical, but I honestly can't see a reason why the sandwich approach is better, unless I'm really missing something.
I think the layout is very smart - the remaining PCIe slots can still be used, after all, either for those ultra low profile NVMe adapters or perhaps a low profile AIC (like a 10GbE NIC or some other controller) on a 90° riser? The sandwich approach doesn't make much sense for anything bigger than ITX if you're planning to use an ATX or SFX PSU, as going your route allows for a far more elegant/space saving fit for the PSU. Of course there's the restrictions to cooler height and necessity of plentiful airflow to the CPU cooler, but those don't change much with a sandwich layout either.

Have to say, this looks like the best all-3D-printed case I've seen in a while :)

Reactions: Arboreal

zenexmachina

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Feb 4, 2018
I think the layout is very smart - the remaining PCIe slots can still be used, after all, either for those ultra low profile NVMe adapters or perhaps a low profile AIC (like a 10GbE NIC or some other controller) on a 90° riser? The sandwich approach doesn't make much sense for anything bigger than ITX if you're planning to use an ATX or SFX PSU, as going your route allows for a far more elegant/space saving fit for the PSU. Of course there's the restrictions to cooler height and necessity of plentiful airflow to the CPU cooler, but those don't change much with a sandwich layout either.

Have to say, this looks like the best all-3D-printed case I've seen in a while :)

Thanks you! Glad to hear that this up there on a 3D printed case list.

What you said is exactly what I thought about sandwich style: minimal difference between limitations and airflow.

dcbn

Average Stuffer
Aug 20, 2018
Congratulations on your project!

Could you please tell me which infill percentage did you use?

Thank you for your help and attention!
I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

zenexmachina

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Feb 4, 2018
Congratulations on your project!

Could you please tell me which infill percentage did you use?

Thank you for your help and attention!
I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

I only printed with 20% infill. Hope that helps!

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
This is an amazing build! I keep coming back and looking at it, as I am failing to build a 17L mATX case mod, and am impressed how compact this is.
What are the outside dimensions?
Do you think it could be replicated in aluminium sheet?

zenexmachina

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Feb 4, 2018
I joined just to say id love to build this if you posted files somewhere! Awesome design.
I actually did have someone request it after posting it on reddit. I ended up creating a dropbox link for it.

Please see above and IMPORTANT NOTE: If I went back to redo this case, the holes that were meant for magnetic attachment of filtered side panels were far from strong enough to hold up the side panels. This was easily fixed by drilling out a wide but shallow recess using each location as the pilot hole for a larger magnet.

Twigzy

What's an ITX?
New User
Jul 8, 2020
Hey, I really like your build, I started to print in with Hatchbox PLA as well. I really hope you can help me with the hardware required though. Can you provide links to all the hardware you used in this build. via eBay, Amazon, etc. I would appreciate it a lot. Also when you attached the board were the M3 inserts flush with the plastic? Did the motherboard support screws screw into the M3 inserts? The reason I ask is so the motherboard lines up the shield correctly. Thanks!

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
While I bet you had great fun designing and building your own custom case, I just had to point out that you can easily do this design in the fraction of the cost and time with lasercut acryllic.

Maybe just do the gpu retention tab with 3d print...

gonzam99

What's an ITX?
New User
Mar 17, 2024
I actually did have someone request it after posting it on reddit. I ended up creating a dropbox link for it.

Please see above and IMPORTANT NOTE: If I went back to redo this case, the holes that were meant for magnetic attachment of filtered side panels were far from strong enough to hold up the side panels. This was easily fixed by drilling out a wide but shallow recess using each location as the pilot hole for a larger magnet.
Hi!

REALLY impressive job, I loved the idea. Looks like the file is no longer avaible. Could you please reupload it, and, if able, send some pics of the final results?

Thanks in advance

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Hi!

REALLY impressive job, I loved the idea. Looks like the file is no longer avaible. Could you please reupload it, and, if able, send some pics of the final results?

Thanks in advance

I don't think you'll hear from the OP, he seems to be long gone.
However, I have a copy of the files that I downloaded a while ago. I could do a WeTransfer if you PM me your email address