Log [Completed] Cravo CG7 HTPC / Mini-server

mishmash

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 12, 2020
It's time to upgrade my aging CM110 Elite (15.3L) brickless mini-server to something a bit smaller in volume.

My current server (i7 4770) could take 7x 3.5" HDDs, a sata card, 2x M2 drives, all brickless. It was upgraded later to a full SSD build.

The objectives for the new build:
  • Cravo CG7, brickless
  • Low idle power
  • Up to 6x 2.5" SSDs + 2x M2 sata + 1x NVME (sata expansion needed)
  • LP graphics card for some VM work - fan off function needed
  • Low fan noise - PWM+LNA from noctua, or maybe ebm papst...
The list is quite ambitious and I think maybe I am in over my head. Nevertheless I'll push on and see what I can learn and achieve.

Parts list coming up, but for a cramming eyesore here are some pictures of my old CM110 with the 3.5" drives.

Last edited:

eedev

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 23, 2020
I'm interested!!
I must ask why didn't you just buy some ITX 8~ish bay DIY nas case? I've seen some on AliExpress recently, wondered if they were any good...

mishmash

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 12, 2020
ITX 8~ish bay DIY nas case? I've seen some on AliExpress recently, wondered if they were any good...

Originally with the CM110 it was a cost and volume constraint. It is one of the cheapest in it's class (commercial retail) when it's on sale. I did look at a few NAS cases, but my main concern with those was lack of cooling and PSU options, as well as lack of PCIe options.

For the CG7 now, I only run 2.5" drives, and hotswap is not necessary for me. The main driver was something that would look ok in the entertainment unit under the TV. Other drivers included shallow depth (<250mm), height (<200mm). This criteria ended up eliminating other good cases like the Sliger SM550 etc. Full height PCIe was not necessary...I use a console for gaming.

Reactions: owliwar and eedev

mishmash

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 12, 2020
Let's talk parts.

The main stuff is here, small bits will come later
  • Case Cravo CG7, black/black/bourbon front
    • Shame I forgot to get the brushed metal feet!
  • CPU i5 10600T low power
  • CPU cooler Shadow Rock LP (in current server, not shown)
    • CPU fan to be swapped with Noctua A12-F15 to accommodate height limit
  • Mobo AsRock Z490M-ITX/ac
  • 1x 32GB Corsair LPX DDR4 RAM
  • GPU is an ASUS GTX1650 LP
    • To be deshrouded and 2x92mm Noctuas to be used
  • Sata card is a Startech PEXM2SAT3422
  • PSU cooling 2x low RPM Noctua A4x10
  • Drive cooling 1x low RPM Noctua A4x20
  • Drives:
    • Drive 0 NVME 1TB Samsung Evo Plus for VMs
    • Drive 1 128GB WD Green M2 sata (cache 1)
    • Drive 2 128GB WD Green M2 sata (cache 2)
    • Drive 3 Samsung 1.92TB SSD PM863a (storage 1)
    • Drive 4 Samsung 1.92TB SSD PM863a (storage 2)
    • Drive 5 Samsung 1.92TB SSD PM863a (storage 3)
    • Drive 6 Samsung 1.92TB SSD PM863a (storage 4)
    • Drive 7 empty (future)
    • Drive 8 empty (future)
  • PSU HDPlex 300W AC/DC with 400W DC-ATX

Small bits:
  • NVME interface to PCIe x4 adapter
  • 3M 250mm pcie cable
  • Screws, alu profile, etc...
  • Corcom 15SRB8-R to replace the massive power entry normally supplied by HDPlex. This is a low profile, 25mm deep EMI filtered C14 power entry. The C8 filtered ones mentioned on the forum are too deep.
Mounting everything up will require a lot of dremel action. Pics on that later when I get to it.

Picture of boxes and stuff:

Reactions: Fitchew and dealda

mishmash

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 12, 2020
The Cravo case allows 2x 92mm x 15mm fans on the PCIe side for PCIe card cooling. I assume this is mainly for cards without integrated coolers. For the GTX 1650, I decided to remove the stock cooler and use larger fans against the stock heat sink.

Unfortunately, the shroud did not want to move, the screws were bound up tight. So I dremelled the heads off after carefully masking the card up, and giving it a blast of compressed air afterwards. The screw shafts backed out afterwards, and the shroud is not completely written off, so it can be replaced later.

As I have gained some space in the dual slot by removing the shroud, I should be able to use 92mm x 25mm fans. A GPU 5 pin -> dual 4 pin adapter is on the way.

Before and after:

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
The Cravo case allows 2x 92mm x 15mm fans on the PCIe side for PCIe card cooling. I assume this is mainly for cards without integrated coolers. For the GTX 1650, I decided to remove the stock cooler and use larger fans against the stock heat sink.

Unfortunately, the shroud did not want to move, the screws were bound up tight. So I dremelled the heads off after carefully masking the card up, and giving it a blast of compressed air afterwards. The screw shafts backed out afterwards, and the shroud is not completely written off, so it can be replaced later.

As I have gained some space in the dual slot by removing the shroud, I should be able to use 92mm x 25mm fans. A GPU 5 pin -> dual 4 pin adapter is on the way.

Before and after:

Hey really interested to hear how the aftermarket fans work with the Asus. I've also got an asus 1650 LP and a couple PWM fans (Noiseblocker 80mm) but haven't given it a go yet because of the total failure of doing it with my gigabyte 1050ti LP, though the Asus has 0 rpm fan mode so it SHOULD work.

My asus shroud came off without issue sorry yours was so much fuss!

mishmash

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 12, 2020
Quick update. All the parts have arrived and I've finally shutdown my existing server to extract the Shadow Rock LP. I did a quick test fit of components, and found that the place I originally wanted to put the sata card would not work, both from a space and riser cable run point of view.

Also noted is that the Shadow Rock LP cannot be mounted fin side over the VRM heat sink, as the VRM heat sink is too tall. In my opinion ASRock have pushed the VRM heat sink too high, it extends over the motherboard I/O.

So I have decided to go with a Noctua L9i. I was initially concerned about heat, but then realised that I'm running a 10600T 35W CPU, not the 92W 4770 I was running before.

The sata card will be mounted overhead of the CPU cooler. This means that it shouldn't interfere with the array of 2.5" drives to be placed at the front of the case (bottom of the picture). I may swap the 92x25mm fan onto the Noctua as well. This should provide better cooling, and the 14mm will come in handy on the GPU side, in the front as there is an issue with the fan contacting the power switch cables.

The L9i should arrive in a week...I guess for now I can start sleeving and making my custom length cables!\

Reactions: Fitchew and dealda

mishmash

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 12, 2020
Today I finished the set of adapters that will hold the DC PSU to the AC PSU.

The planned solution is to keep the DC unit off the top of the AC unit by about 5mm. So I found some 6mm square aluminium profile to do the job. This should allow proper ventilation through the top plate of the AC unit.

The HDPlex ACDC unit top plate cover is held on by M2 screws, I wanted to originally drill these out to M3 screws to allow the adapters to screw in using normal screws, but upon removing the top plate I found there were already M3 holes tapped next to the M2 holes! So I just drilled holes in the cover.

I chopped up some lengths of 6mm alu profile, and drilled holes and tapped them accordingly. One of the adapters has a blind screw, so I made a tiny M3 10mm stud, and put it in place in the adapter with some loctite.

Pictures below of the end result. It's super solid! Next step is mounting the complete "power pack" onto to the bottom of the Cravo case.

mishmash

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 12, 2020
Apologies for phone photos, forgot to take proper photos during this part.

I sleeved the AC in and 19V DC out cables, and then used cable ties to slim down the stacked power pack to below 90mm, leaving 2mm spare to the top panel. I also swapped the male to a female molex connector to allow the AC unit to direct plug to the DC unit. I think HDPlex deliberately put a male plug on the AC unit to prevent it being plugged into the PCIe port and frying the DC PSU.

In order to clear the SSDs mounted at the front panel, the entire power pack needs to be pushed rear-ward. To do this, I have the aforementioned Corcom EMI power entry to replace the stock HDPlex one. This was also sleeved. This job was painful as I did not order the right size pins, so I had to carefully unbend the crimps on the pins and then re-crimp them on the new power entry. Here is a comparison of the two power filters next to each other.

Finally, the bottom panel of the CG7 case is drilled to mount the AC unit to the floor of the case. The DC-ATX overhangs and is touching the EMI filter, but that shouldn't be an issue. I will put some insulating tape at the contact point just in case.
Fans for the PSU are two 40x10mm noctuas, which will be software controlled. I will probably peg the speed to an equation of all the fan speed sensors in the case as this would be an indirect indicator of system power load. The SSD array will be supported by two fans. Indirectly on the left with the GPU fan (not shown) and on the right with a 40x20mm noctua fan, with LNA adapter attached. The HDPlex PSU is rated for passive use, and the AC unit is the one that generates the most heat, so I am not sure how hot it will get with two 10mm fans blowing near its vents. I guess we will find out.
This completes the right side of the case build. I can now move onto motherboard where some modification is needed to the M2 heat sink to allow the PCIe adapter and the NVME drive together.

mishmash

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 12, 2020
Due to the limited volume I bought a crimping tool and made my own connectors to curve around properly without cable bulge. This is my first time sleeving, and it came out ok, not great. Next time I will step up to paracord and try sleeve each individual cable. Here is the 24 pin and 8 pin EPS cable.

I wanted to retain the heat sink over the M2 slots, but obviously the PCIe adapter would intrude on that. So I cut holes in the heat sink to allow it to slip over the adapter. The thermal pads were trimmed and replaced underneath.

I replaced the LH9i fan with a 25mm fan. The 15mm has gone to the GPU side. There as some cable smooshing involved to get it all to work. Assembling it all together:

Finally I added the GPU and GPU fans. Annoyingly, the 5 pin adapter connector was not correct, so I chopped out the cables from the asus shroud and added my own fan connector sockets to make my own adapter. The wires are pretty thin, but they are more than capable of taking the fan current. In this photo you can also see where the power switch penetration requires the usage of a 15mm thick fan.

@smitty2k1 I'm happy to report when the system powers up the fans connected to the GPU stop after 20 seconds.

Next step is making the mounting for the sata card, creating the sata power cable loom and running the sata data cables.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Due to the limited volume I bought a crimping tool and made my own connectors to curve around properly without cable bulge. This is my first time sleeving, and it came out ok, not great. Next time I will step up to paracord and try sleeve each individual cable. Here is the 24 pin and 8 pin EPS cable.

I wanted to retain the heat sink over the M2 slots, but obviously the PCIe adapter would intrude on that. So I cut holes in the heat sink to allow it to slip over the adapter. The thermal pads were trimmed and replaced underneath.

I replaced the LH9i fan with a 25mm fan. The 15mm has gone to the GPU side. There as some cable smooshing involved to get it all to work. Assembling it all together:

Finally I added the GPU and GPU fans. Annoyingly, the 5 pin adapter connector was not correct, so I chopped out the cables from the asus shroud and added my own fan connector sockets to make my own adapter. The wires are pretty thin, but they are more than capable of taking the fan current. In this photo you can also see where the power switch penetration requires the usage of a 15mm thick fan.

@smitty2k1 I'm happy to report when the system powers up the fans connected to the GPU stop after 20 seconds.

Next step is making the mounting for the sata card, creating the sata power cable loom and running the sata data cables.
are you running the GPU fans off the GPU header or a motherboard header? I have the same GPU and bought a 5 pin adapter to run PWM fans off the GPU header but haven't gotten around to trying it out yet. I'd be using 80x15mm fans in my case (J Hack Pure X)

mishmash

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 12, 2020
are you running the GPU fans off the GPU header or a motherboard header? I have the same GPU and bought a 5 pin adapter to run PWM fans off the GPU header but haven't gotten around to trying it out yet. I'd be using 80x15mm fans in my case (J Hack Pure X)
I'm running the fans off the GPU header.

My 5 pin adapter was not correct. Make sure you check yours fits on the GPU header.

mishmash

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 12, 2020
Here is the finished product! I had to wait for a new adapter (M2->PCIe) as the old one was cactus.

In theory this now supports full PCIe x16 for a LP GPU, and also PCIe x4 for a LP card off the M2 slot. There is a total maximum of 9x SSDs (8x sata and 1x NVME).

Future work includes changing the power supply over to a AC->12V for less heat, and re-cabling with ultra thin cables.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Oh Wow!!!!!! somehow I missed this
I'm amazed in how you managed it all :) This is some incredible build!!