Other Common Hardware Question Stickies?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I've been thinking it would be really great to have a common components sticky or two in the relevant forums for really frequent questions like "which AC-DC adapter should I buy for wattage X" or "which low profile CPU cooler will fit case Y", and so forth. I know we have the Wiki, but this information is rarely updated and I'm of the mind that most forumgoers don't even know it exists.

I'd personally like to see:

- CPU coolers in rank order of height
- GPUs in rank order of length
- AC-DC and DC-DC PSU options

I'd be happy to maintain one or two of these threads as I'm sure a few other more active members would. Anyone care to comment?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah, my iPhone doesn't want to scroll the table horizontally. Don't think we can do much about it though since it's just an embed.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
If you can find me a 1080p monitor that is 11.3" or less in height all in (gaming appropriate < 5ms refresh as well please), I'll be your new best friend. I want one that will fit inside the lid of the Nanuk 935, but everyone feels the need to put a stupid fat bottom bezel with their big gaudy logo on in : /

I have thought about debezeling and I know you (Drew) did a pretty substantial thread on debezeling on another site, just not totally committed to the idea yet.

Also back on topic, even a sticky with Wiki links and updated content would be awesome.

Last edited:

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
You could always use an iPad panel and pair it to DP. Apparently they can be purchased for ~$50-70.
http://emerythacks.blogspot.co.il/2013/04/connecting-ipad-retina-lcd-to-pc.html

The best part is no additional power is needed- it's powered by the DP connector.

At Cooler Master's CES suite, they modded a Cooler Master Elite 110 to have a built in iPad panel that was being used as a display.
With this mod, the touch functionality no longer works but it was a very crisp looking display.

Regarding my old debezel guide, I had completely forgot about that! Funny how long that stuff lasts on the net, haha

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I've thought about doing the iPad Panel thing, I was just thinking it'd be nice to have the largest panel possible given the vertical constraint of 11.3".

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
I've been thinking it would be really great to have a common components sticky or two in the relevant forums for really frequent questions like "which AC-DC adapter should I buy for wattage X" or "which low profile CPU cooler will fit case Y", and so forth. I know we have the Wiki, but this information is rarely updated and I'm of the mind that most forumgoers don't even know it exists.

I'd personally like to see:

- CPU coolers in rank order of height
- GPUs in rank order of length
- AC-DC and DC-DC PSU options

I'd be happy to maintain one or two of these threads as I'm sure a few other more active members would. Anyone care to comment?
Very good idea... breathing rocks like me need all the help we can get get!

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I've thought about doing the iPad Panel thing, I was just thinking it'd be nice to have the largest panel possible given the vertical constraint of 11.3".
A 16:9 panel with a vertical constraint of 11.3" would be a '23"' monitor. Without even having to mod a laptop panel there are plenty of <23" desktop displays available (e.g. SE2216H) that should fit.

Reactions: ricochet

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
A 16:9 panel with a vertical constraint of 11.3" would be a '23"' monitor. Without even having to mod a laptop panel there are plenty of <23" desktop displays available (e.g. SE2216H) that should fit.

Yeah, but again, they add bezels to the point that the thinnest commercial 1080p display I've been able to find is 11.75"

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Stop messing with monitors and look at laptop panels. #nobezels

You might have trouble finding a big enough one to fill all the room.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I found that widescreen already but its too long unfortunately - the case lid is like 21" long. That would have been perfect otherwise and I love LG displays. The reason I'm so tied to the case is that is the max dimensions for airline carry-on.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Need to switch to a briefcase sized computer that way you can still carry on clothes and put the PC under your seat :V