Cleaning up 3d printed parts?

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
I have a small 3d printed itx case made out of PETG. Functionally its fine, exactly what i wanted, but cosmetically i wish it was better. Specifically there is this one layer that goes through the whole model where you can see the infill gaps. Its not huge, and like i said it doesn't effect the piece structurally, but its an eye sore from the outside as it goes right down the front of the case.

I tried sanding it smooth, and while it helped, it doesn't do anything for the gaps. Any suggestions on what to fill the small gaps with? I'd like to fill it with something, be able to sand it smooth and then either paint over it or put a vinyl wrap over it.

In case anyone is curious, here is a screenshot of the model that was used to print it. The material is black, and its hard to see details if i just took a picture of the real thing. Dimensions are 10.5" tall, 7.75" deep, 4" wide. Total volume of 5.3L. It'll be using an internal 500w AC/DC 12v PSU with a standard C14 power connector, Pico style dc/dc board, with 92mm slim noctua fans for intake at the bottom and top. The case cost me around $150 to get 3d printed in PETG, and the side panels are being waterjet cut by someone local to me for another $60. There are a few other accessories required, so total cost of the case is probably around $250 not including any hardware. Not too bad for a 1 off.

Last edited: