Completed Circle Pro - Solid Alu CNCed mini-itx case - 240mm liquid cooling

CircleTect

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Circle Studio
May 1, 2017
circlestudio.co
so, uh, what's the "unreasonable" cost?

Well look, it’s not totally unreasonable, it was just that we couldn’t see making a successful business out of it.

It’s not completely out of the question we sell it to people here on this forum at a reduced cost in exchange for testing / insights / reviews - if anyone’s keen!

Only catch is that it’s probably not the most compatible case, we’ve designed it with a fairly specific load-out in mind..

I’ll have a look and see what we can sell it for, and write up a compatibility list perhaps?

NoSk0pz

Average Stuffer
Apr 3, 2017
Well look, it’s not totally unreasonable, it was just that we couldn’t see making a successful business out of it.

It’s not completely out of the question we sell it to people here on this forum at a reduced cost in exchange for testing / insights / reviews - if anyone’s keen!

Only catch is that it’s probably not the most compatible case, we’ve designed it with a fairly specific load-out in mind..

I’ll have a look and see what we can sell it for, and write up a compatibility list perhaps?

Totally understandable. In regards to the compatibility list, if it's not too much trouble then yes please!

CircleTect

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Circle Studio
May 1, 2017
circlestudio.co
Ok. Here is a list of supported hardware for the Circle Pro barebones case.

Motherboard
Any standard Mini-ITX board.

Water Cooling AIO
278mm x 125mm x 30mm

Note, these dimensions aren't final and are still being tested. The radiator is quite close to the GPU ATX connector, and the thicker the radiator, the more tightly the cables from this connector have to be compressed. Thinner radiators are preferred. We have been testing with a TD-02 Lite which is 27mm thick. I think an additional 3mm will be fine as it has been designed with clearance in mind - but I'll need to test it to make sure.

Also note that the cooling block section either needs to have very soft tubes coming out of it or angle adjustable tubes (I.e. Silverstone TD-02 Lite, Kelvin S24), so they can be pulled to the side and zip tied to the core - otherwise they will collide with the glass panel and prevent the case from closing. The side panels are held in place with magnets, so any internal force against them will mean they won’t sit flush.

CPU Air Cooling
51mm - from top of LGA1151 CPU to glass panel.

The whole point of this case is to support liquid cooling, so it hasn't really been designed with air cooling in mind. If anyone's curious about using the AIO space for something else however, go wild.

RAM
Depending on the location of your RAM, you should get as low profile RAM as possible. In some cases, you may have to route the water cooling tubes over it, and if it’s too high, the side panel might not sit flush.

GPU
Any ‘mini’ class card up to a length of 212mm (Zotac 1070, 1080 and 1080ti mini cards are all supported). Note that we haven’t yet tested the ‘overheight’ Gigabyte 1070 mini card. It might fit depending on the thickness of the radiator you’re using.

PSU
Format: SFX. Corsair SF450 or SF600 highly recommended as they are silent until high load. The Silverstone units are quite noisy unfortunately.

Drive support
Number of M.2 SSD drives supported depends on your motherboard. Up to 3 x SATA 2.5” drives supported (only up to a thickness of 9.5mm, the case doesn’t support the thicker 12.5mm drives).

Fans
Cooling and low noise is an important aspect of this case, so we recommend 2 x Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM for the chassis fans and 2 x Noctua NF-P12 PWM for the radiator. You will also need fan extender cables, which we will supply.

Dust filters
These come as standard and should be mounted against the supplied NF-A12x15 fans at the bottom of the case.

Other bits and pieces
We’ll be including a custom internal IEC passthrough cable and region specific IEC socket connector. A custom SATA loom. Custom SATA dock. Shielded PCIE riser. Fan extender cables. Custom Power button assembly.

Price TBA.

I’ll update this list as more information becomes available.

Last edited:

NoSk0pz

Average Stuffer
Apr 3, 2017
Thanks for the info, Circle! Why include the fans?

Edit:

Some coolers that fit the suggested specifications:

- Corsair H100i (275 x 120 x 27)
- Enermax Liqmax II 240 (274 x 120 x 27)
- Silverstone TD02-Lite (273 x 120 x 27)

Last edited:

SilverFox18

Trash Compacter
Sep 29, 2017
Ok. Here is a list of supported hardware for the Circle Pro barebones case.

Motherboard
Any standard Mini-ITX board.

Water Cooling AIO
275mm x 120mm x 30mm

Note, these dimensions aren't final and are still being tested. The radiator is quite close to the GPU ATX connector, and the thicker the radiator, the more tightly the cables from this connector have to be compressed. Thinner radiators are preferred. We have been testing with a TD-02 Lite which is 27mm thick. I think an additional 3mm will be fine as it has been designed with clearance in mind - but I'll need to test it to make sure.

Also note that the cooling block section either needs to have very soft tubes coming out of it (ie. Fractal Celsius S24), or angle adjustable tubes (I.e. Silverstone TD-02 Lite, Kelvin S24), so they can be pulled to the side and zip tied to the core - otherwise they will collide with the glass panel and prevent the case from closing. The side panels are held in place with magnets, so any internal force against them will mean they won’t sit flush.

CPU Air Cooling
The whole point of this case is to support liquid cooling, so it hasn't really been designed with air cooling in mind. If anyone's curious about using the AIO space for something else and using CPU air cooling, I will calculate the dimensions for you here.

RAM
Depending on the location of your RAM, you should get as low profile RAM as possible. In some cases, you may have to route the water cooling tubes over it, and if it’s too high, the side panel might not sit flush.

GPU
Any ‘mini’ class card up to a length of 212mm (Zotac 1070, 1080 and 1080ti mini cards are all supported). Note that we haven’t yet tested the ‘overheight’ Gigabyte 1070 mini card. It might fit depending on the thickness of the radiator you’re using.

PSU
Format: SFX. Corsair SF450 or SF600 highly recommended as they are silent until high load. The Silverstone units are quite noisy unfortunately.

Drive support
Number of M.2 SSD drives supported depends on your motherboard. Up to 3 x SATA 2.5” drives supported (only up to a thickness of 9.5mm, the case doesn’t support the thicker 12.5mm drives).

Fans
Cooling and noise is an important aspect of this case, so we’ll be supplying the 4 necessary Noctua fans in the price of the case. We don’t recommend using the fans that come with most AIO radiators, as they are far too noisy. We are supplying 2 x Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM (chassis fans) and 2 x Noctua NF-P12 PWM (radiator static pressure). You will also need fan extender cables, which we will supply.

Dust filters
These come as standard and should be mounted against the supplied NF-A12x15 fans at the bottom of the case.

Other bits and pieces
We’ll be including a custom internal IEC passthrough cable and region specific IEC socket connector. A custom SATA loom. Custom SATA dock. Shielded PCIE riser. Fan extender cables. Custom Power button assembly.

Price TBA.

I’ll update this list as more information becomes available.

Regarding the Noctua Fans - like so many not a 'fan' of their brown colour scheme - except for their industrial/chromax ranges…

CircleTect

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Circle Studio
May 1, 2017
circlestudio.co
Regarding the Noctua Fans - like so many not a 'fan' of their brown colour scheme - except for their industrial/chromax ranges…

Yeah, agreed. The colours have definitely grown on me because of their fantastic build quality. A rose by any other colour.. Also, you barely see them as they're masked by the case's fan shrouds.

Perhaps it's a step too far to supply the fans with the case. An option perhaps? They really do make a HUGE difference to the noise levels. I was actually astounded when I first installed them I thought there was a malfunction they were so quiet. Highly recommended.

NoSk0pz

Average Stuffer
Apr 3, 2017
Perhaps it's a step too far to supply the fans with the case. An option perhaps? They really do make a HUGE difference to the noise levels. I was actually astounded when I first installed them I thought there was a malfunction they were so quiet. Highly recommended.

I would probably get the noctuas anyways, so for me it's more of a question of "how much is markup." i think having the option would be nice (some might prefer to buy more components with the case), but to me, fans aren't a very unique addition. i can find them anywhere in a variety of colors from different manufacturers.

that being said, i'm definitely more inclined to receive the custom components with the case (sata loom, etc.)

CircleTect

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Circle Studio
May 1, 2017
circlestudio.co
Some people expressed interest in the custom SATA loom I've been working on - so I thought I'd share it! The basic idea is that it makes the power cable for 3 drives as compact as it can be, it integrates the power and data into a single standard connector, and then most importantly, it means it's super quick and easy to swap a drive in and out by just clicking it into the dock. It works with friction, so once it clicks in place, it's solidly located.

Pictured are two versions of it, one with black cables installed in the 3D printed dock prototype, and one loose with standard cables.

There are probably standard cable looms like this - but I had specific measurements I needed, so I went full custom. If anyone knows of any good standard parts like this, I'd love to see them!

CircleTect

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Circle Studio
May 1, 2017
circlestudio.co
I'd be keen to know what people prefer as the panel option - glass or aluminium? I have to choose one for the case production run. The aluminium panel is fairly hefty at 3mm thick to match that of the glass panel and will come with a laser engraved circle logo. You can also install the panel backwards and laser etch your own logo on the blank side or add your own covering if that's your thing.

@Phuncz - I know you expressed interest in a metal panel at some point?

P.S just to re-iterate for people who may have dropped out of this thread thinking I'm only selling full systems now, I'm actually in the middle of preparing a case-only sale - so good news, this case will be available for sale soon!

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I personally prefer solid panels for cases (no windows) and I'm probably not the only one. Though I'd make sure by gauging the people that are interested in the case, because it might be that more people prefer the window :)

To be clear, I'm not sure yet I'll be able to buy your case, even though I love its design. I can only have so many and my desk already has five of them on it at the moment :eek:

Last edited:

SilverFox18

Trash Compacter
Sep 29, 2017
I'd be keen to know what people prefer as the panel option - glass or aluminium? I have to choose one for the case production run. The aluminium panel is fairly hefty at 3mm thick to match that of the glass panel and will come with a laser engraved circle logo. You can also install the panel backwards and laser etch your own logo on the blank side or add your own covering if that's your thing.

P.S just to re-iterate for people who may have dropped out of this thread thinking I'm only selling full systems now, I'm actually in the middle of preparing a case-only sale - so good news, this case will be available for sale soon!
I know this is an 'either/or' question and not 'both options' (which would be my preference…) So choosing only one type of side panel - I would go for solid - as aesthetically the most pleasing and distinctive in terms of overall look for the case. I really like the purity and simplicity of the laser engraved circle. Perhaps, in the near future a glass panel could be produced/available for additional purchase etc. Really good news that you are considering 'case-only' sales too!

NoSk0pz

Average Stuffer
Apr 3, 2017
I’m torn on metal vs glass, and honestly they both look good to me. Until now I assumed that the case would come glass panel.

I have never actually used/seen glass in the real world so i don’t have a strong opinion either way. Part of me wants to see what i built inside, but i also really like the clean look of the aluminum.

Has anyone here made or bought a custom glass panel? If so, i’m guessing it could get expensive? I love options but i’m very indecisive :p

Edit: currently leaning towards solid

Reactions: Biowarejak

prava

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 21, 2017

With a solid panel it looks INSANE. Like really, really good. Not too keen on the circle on the panel, but I'd take a panel if I were to get one.

PS: how much money you talking about? 500-600€?

CircleTect

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Circle Studio
May 1, 2017
circlestudio.co
I personally prefer solid panels for cases (no windows) and I'm probably not the only one.

I've never been particularly interested in glass panels on computers myself either, but I must say since working on this project I have really changed my mind. The metal panel is definitely minimal and understated, but it lacks a bit of the magic of the glass when you see it in person. It just has a mysterious, satisfying depth to it that feels appropriate for such a quiet, desktop machine IMO.

I hear that people are digging the metal side panel though, so I'll try my best to make this an option.

I'm also planning on making a video showing off the case with the different panels - which might hopefully make the decision a bit easier!

PS. Happy new year everyone!

Esso

Cable Smoosher
Nov 23, 2017
I've never been particularly interested in glass panels on computers myself either, but I must say since working on this project I have really changed my mind.

I am feeling the same after seeing all the posted images. Very excited about this case and completely terrified of shipping it up to the frigid lands where pucks fly, eh. The long route is perhaps the only reason I would consider a metal panel at this point. Fees from customs are going to hurt :(.

Happy New Year!

Last edited:

Esso

Cable Smoosher
Nov 23, 2017
Why would glass be an issue in this case? Do customs charge more for it?

Just less risk of irreparable damage, whereas metal can still be manageable/reshaped. I'm pretty set on glass, just not confident it will make it in one piece once it sets sail. It would be heart breaking to receive cracked/damaged glass on a beauty such as this. I have been somewhat soured by past experiences with cracked/damaged acrylic (much weaker, I know) shipped from the US & underwhelmed by shipping insurance results.

Customs charges seem to be a roll of the dice. Internationally, I am not sure who is the most forgiving there. From the US, USPS seems to forgo charges mostly when crossing the border. Some couriers offer flat fees which is great for eliminating the surprise factor. I'm sure the people of reddit or ebay have insight for longer channels of course.

To be fair, I had a FT02 shipped from Japan when they debuted, customs was $40 ( ~8 years back?) and the window that I did not want arrived intact. So I think I just talked myself back into glass... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak