Choose the right SFX PSU

liyi0522

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 14, 2020
While I wait for NCASE M1 v6.1 shipment, I am browsing the right parts for my first build/downsizing. Does 450W power supply is good enough for a i7 2600K and gtx 1070? If I pay a little bit more for a 600W PSU, what CPU and GPU can be handled if I move up to newer platforms? I mostly use it for light gaming (world of tanks) and office task, maybe for hackintosh. I most unlikely would buy top of the line GPU and CPU in near future. Thanks.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
You should be fine with a 450W PSU for that configuration, but a 600W would give you headroom to install any GPU and CPU that would fit in the M1. Most top of the range graphics cards and CPUs wouldn’t draw more than around 250W each.

The Corsair SF Series SFX power supplies are very good, and they do make a 450W 80 Plus Gold rated version, so that would be a good buy.

Last year I picked up the Corsair 600W Platinum PSU for my NCASE M1 (Although I’ll probably only be using around 400W). I found it on special for only $10 more than the Gold rated one, so it’s worth looking around, but availability on a lot of stuff isn’t great at the moment.