Chipset-less Mini-Itx Ryzen 3rd Gen Motherboard

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018

Interesting idea about a motherboard with no chipset from Buildzoid
I saw that too. I also posted an offhand comment about SFF enthusiasts salivating over such an idea or somesuch so sorry for speaking so poorly of us.

That said, I'm not sure how much I'd personally be invested in the idea since I do have a higher number of drives and USB devices than might be natively supported from the CPU I/O die by itself. Still, I support any innovation which helps the hobby so long live the chipset-less 3950X build crammed into a cheese grater!

Reactions: cmyk78

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I saw that too. I also posted an offhand comment about SFF enthusiasts salivating over such an idea or somesuch so sorry for speaking so poorly of us.

That said, I'm not sure how much I'd personally be invested in the idea since I do have a higher number of drives and USB devices than might be natively supported from the CPU I/O die by itself. Still, I support any innovation which helps the hobby so long live the chipset-less 3950X build crammed into a cheese grater!
Even with its limitations (4x USB 3.1G2 as the only USB, either x4 NVMe or x2 NVMe + 2xSATA, pretty much nothing else) I'd say this would be tempting as a basic, low-cost ITX solution. If the 4 "chipset uplink" PCIe lanes could be used for, say, a WiFi card and another USB controller, this would be an amazing setup. Should be cheaper to make due to the less cramped board layout and smaller amount of PCIe traces needed, let alone the lack of the chipset and any heatsink for it, which could leave room for a decent VRM and good RAM traces. X500, anyone? I would be very interested in this.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
IMHO, the actual number of rear I/O ports is waaaaaay too high. HDMI (audio and video), mouse and keyboard (2x USB 2.0 OR USB 2.0 + P/S2), ethernet, and 2 USB 3+ are more than enough for most people.

Internally, considering the increase in disk size these days, 2 sata ports and 1 m.2 slot for storage (plus another one for wifi) are also more than enough for the average Joe.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
IMHO, the actual number of rear I/O ports is waaaaaay too high. HDMI (audio and video), mouse and keyboard (2x USB 2.0 OR USB 2.0 + P/S2), ethernet, and 2 USB 3+ are more than enough for most people.

Internally, considering the increase in disk size these days, 2 sata ports and 1 m.2 slot for storage (plus another one for wifi) are also more than enough for the average Joe.
Remember, this (currently nonexistent) solution doesn't have that m.2 wifi slot (unless they're able to use the chipset uplink lanes like I said, or bifurcate the x16). No ethernet either - that also requires PCIe. No USB 2.0 either - that's in the chipset. Also, we're not talking rear I/O, but all I/O, so adding front USB would mean only two ports on the rear. If one of those is needed for a WiFi or ethernet dongle, suddenly you're running out. Then again, I wouldn't mind if they split off some lanes from the x16 for a use case like this - x8 is plenty for GPUs anyhow.

I can understand thinking how some boards are way overdone in terms of I/O (who needs 10-12 rear USB? I use 4, and that's with a gamepad dongle and external DAC), but what you're sketching out is so barebones as to hurt compatibility. No DP? No thanks.

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 9, 2018
"who needs 10-12 rear USB?"

Me, I love I/O. However I will generally be happy to use a ATX M/B to get it. The reason being is because I'll also wan't nicely spaced PCIe as well, so that dictates the size. And as I'm sure many will agree, you don't always need a massive ATX case to have ATX. Certainly I've recently been won over on not needing a ATX case for mATX. And I was a real offender there in the past.

So if the question is who needs 12 USB ports on ITX, then I agree, I don't. It would be nice to have USB C and/or Thunderbird though. Then an adaptor solves all my problems.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
The only thing I've ever missed is front USB for plugging in a USB stick for photo/video transfer. Typically only use 1 in back for keyboard maybe another for printer at most.