Log Blacksheep's builds (Current: Jonsbo V9 Windows XP Build)

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
I build things in this thread. My current build is in a Silverstone Sugo SG05 and I should be doing more in the future!

Original post is below:

To begin, I should quickly mention that I've decided to move on from the Morex 2799 build I was doing. I wasn't happy with the direction of it.

So, while looking I came across this case, the CJ712. Fell for it at first sight. Full size mATX support (128GB RAM yay!), FLEX ATX psu support, ODD support and only 8L. I also don't need to mod anything which is great, although I might do something much later on. Plus it's much cheaper than the previous idea I had.

Last edited:

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Plot twist time. Turns out InWin make a TFX version of this case, the CK709. You can fit a 80 x 25mm fan on the front rather than a 20mm one.

There are some quirks to think about though. There are not that many good TFX PSUs.The only modular PSU made by Seasonic is no longer made. The other downside is the TFX case would be much more expensive for me to get versus the Flex model. (I'm importing these from the USA if you are wondering).

Any ideas what case I should go with?

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Having built a 4.5L system recently, and not had the budget to buy an expensive Flex ATX PSU, I am disappointed how noisy it is under load.
I'm running a pretty unexciting i5 4590 and GTX 1050Ti on an FSP 270W Flex that was sub 30 GBP on ebay.

I was hoping to have it folding quietly in the corner, but not so. It has that particular '40mm fan noise' that cuts through other noise and I can hear it even with headphones on and gaming.

On balance, I would have rather gone for something in the 6-7L range that takes an SFX PSU.

So, my current judgement is anti Flex, and would welcome TFX, if the Silverstone or BeQuiet models ae OK.

To be honest, anything with a fan bigger than 40mm HAS to be a benefit! That's in PSU and case ventilation terms.

A sub 10L mATX setup is always going to be quite a compromise. I am impressed that InWin are offering 3 variants commercially in quite a niche area.
That's even smaller than my HP Pavilion Slimline that I bought for 10 GBP which is awaiting a modern ITX transplant when I have the requirement for another PC.
Granted it's not a particularly efficient or hardcore design by today's standards, with 3.5 HDD and full size optical drive support.

I was looking at making a 12L or so mATX case earlier in the year, but my mobo and i5 got fried, and my dual M.2 ITX NCase M1 rig does pretty much all I need currently.
Extra PCIe slots would be good, and give bragging rights, but I can't think of any other PCIe devices I need, unless I had to have a PCIe 4x to M.2 card for more space saving storage.

/2p worth

Last edited:

Vlad502

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 4, 2017
There are two Chenbro cases on Ebay, if you want micro ATX case around 9L with TFX and slim ODD support:
PC719
PC722

Last edited:

Bubba

Average Stuffer
Nov 4, 2019
smallformfactor.net
As far as I know, the smallest mATX case with discrete low-profile graphics card is this:
max motherboard dimensions 190mm x 245mm

5.2 L

6.0 L

Reactions: Analogue Blacksheep

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
I'm heavily leaning towards the PC719. It's got plenty of vents around it and I like the fact that the CPU cooler is getting air. Plus it has the fabled ODD I want. My only real concern is my ASUS GPU being too long at 18.2 cm. There is a 3.5 bay that starts exactly where the TFX unit ends, but in the grand scheme of things, I doubt it matters.

Also going to go with the Asrock X570M Pro 4 board. Seems more flexible for setup options (I don't plan on overclocking it).

Vlad502

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 4, 2017
Seller offer the case with PSU, but on their own website: https://www.schneider-consulting-elektronik.de/navi.php?qs=Pc719

Sapphire HD6570 (169mm):

Another system photos:
https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/pro...usiness-pcs/business-pc-pi3d-coffee-lake.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Analogue Blacksheep

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
I just pulled the trigger on the Chenbro PC719 case, just need to wait for it to come from Deutscheland.

Also changed my mind on the motherboard, going with a GIGABYTE B550M AORUS PRO-P that is coming from the States. WIFI is coming from an ASUS PCE-AX58BT AX3000, the blu ray is a Samsung SN-506BB I got from Ebay for £35.99 and I've got a Noctua NF-A6x25 PWM going in there for good measure.

I will wait until Silverstone brings out the TFX700 PSU.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Random question, but does anyone know if the overhang of the Big Shurkien 3 cooler can fit over the GIGABYTE B550M AORUS PRO-P heatsink? I think it could fit in the case.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I can't say for sure if you have clearance for the Gigabyte B550 but if you look at the pic if you rotate the cooler 180 degrees it will completely clear the VRM like it does the ram in the pic.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
@rfarmer - I think it could fit the board and the case. How is the Big Shurkien 3 for turbulence noise?
I only used it in the Nouvolo Steck and there is only 1mm between the fan and side panel so there was noticeable turbulence. If you have more clearance shouldn't be a problem. I am using 3 of these same fans in my Ghost build and they are very decent fans.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
I might look into the ID Cooling IS60, if there is going to be turbulence noise.

Anyway, new parts arrived!

Also does anyone know if there is a cable that I could use with this slimline sata connector I salvaged from a laptop? It's a lot more low profile than the connector that arrived today.

Vlad502

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 4, 2017
Just found USB 3.0 front panel for PC719 if case comes with 2.0 ports: CLKF845

Also about GPU need to remove HDD cage (fixed with four rivets)

Last edited:

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
The case has arrived. There are some good things and a very bad thing, but I have an idea.

The build quality of the case throws that Morex case of the door. I'm surprised at how well it is built, although it is very heavy.

Now the very bad thing is CPU cooler clearance. Due to the ODD/FDD bracket and the location of the AM4 socket the tallest cooler I can fit is my AXP90. However I have a bit of crazy idea to deal with this. I will use the heatsink from the AXP90, take off the fan and then fit a 140x25 fan on the top vent of the case with zip ties.

Edit (Here are some pictures of the case):

Last edited:

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Started doing a few things. I've managed to fit a 140mm fan by modding the fan duct. This should serve the purpose as both a case fan and a CPU heatsink fan.

Swapped the 60mm fan for a Noctua.

Started test fitting GPU parts.

Reactions: aromachi

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Motherboard came yesterday.

Unfortunately the GPU does not fit in the case. The top panel lip hits it. Tried removing the lip, but screwed up badly. So I did what any sane person would do with a nasty dent. I turned it into a snake.

Reactions: aromachi