Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
I think you want the pattern "cut off" like on the Cerberus case, right? I agree that could maybe look slightly nicer. Could have a small effect on the structural integrity of the panel as well (could bend easier, etc). Perhaps slightly more expensive to accomplish?

For what it's worth, I think post #162 qualifies nicely as a final design, and is something I want to support.

My only concern is that having the outer shell in a big piece could cause some tolerance problem when bending it, meaning it might not be perfectly 90 degree bends, and that the screws being 2/3 down on the panel sides would apply a bit of point pressure causing the panel to bend a little. That might just be imagination. But the 1.5mm aluminium panels on my Ncase M1 were a bit prone to bending. And when they bend, it is quite permanent. Another alternative would be to have the outer shell consist of even smaller pieces. That might have already been discussed, so I will not really bring it up.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Yes, I have been thinking to ask the fab house if they can do the "half slots." IT does look more finished that way. I'll find out this week and let you know.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Ok, I need to settle on the design. Please take a look at the following design versions and decide which you prefer. I'll set up a poll where you can record your preference.

Note: On all versions I am switching to flat head screws, brushed black anodized on all exterior surfaces, and powder coat on all interior surfaces.

Version 1: Standard thick front plate:

Version 2: Thick top plate, separate from the rest of the cover. 4 screws to remove the wrap-around cover, 4 more to remove the top plate:

Version 3: Thick top plate, bent flanges on side panels to attach it to the top plate. 4 side screws to remove the whole cover with top plate:

Close up of the flange bends at the top of the side panels:

Poll here:
http://www.strawpoll.me/13746402

Thanks!

Last edited:

eggDK

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2016
Your description of the difference between ver.2 and ver.3 isn't very clear.. I think with ver.2 you're addressing the bent tabs at the top corners of the wrap-around?(as pointed out by Brian over on [H]) It's a small detail, easy to miss by looking at the renders.. Perhaps we could see raw screen dumps of both, zoomed in on this area?

Reactions: Biowarejak

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Do the bends at V3 helps in reducing the total number of screws? Because looking at the definition:

V2: Thick top plate, separate from the rest of the cover. 4 screws to remove the wrap-around cover, 4 more to remove the top plate

V3: Thick top plate, bent flanges on side panels to attach it to the top plate. 4 side screws to remove the whole cover with top plate:

However the render doesn't show that.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Do the bends at V3 helps in reducing the total number of screws? Because looking at the definition:

V2: Thick top plate, separate from the rest of the cover. 4 screws to remove the wrap-around cover, 4 more to remove the top plate

V3: Thick top plate, bent flanges on side panels to attach it to the top plate. 4 side screws to remove the whole cover with top plate:

However the render doesn't show that.

No reduction in screws. In V3 the top plate is attached to the sides, not the chassis, so only the 4 side panel screws have to be removed to take off all of the cover from the chassis.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Thanks everyone so far who has taken a look at the versions and voted!
After almost 2 days and 69 votes there is no majority preference, but V1 has a plurality at 39%. I'll keep the poll going until end of Tues, then if there is no clear majority winner, then we'll have a runoff election from the 2 top voted versions.

Sound good?
Fire

darksidecookie

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 1, 2016
I don't think that just because v1 has more votes than the rest it should be chosen. As the people who voted for v2 and V3 wanted the solid panel on top as opposed to the people who voted v1 and thus wanted the panel on the front.

So almost (at the time of writing) 60% wants the panel on top but half of that 60% wants a different mounting mechanism, so it would be weird to go with the option (only) 40% of voter agree with because the 60% couldn't agree on the mounting.

IMHO the outcome of this poll (again at the time of writing) is that solid plate on top is the clear winner, but a second poll is needed to decide on the mounting mechanism.

I hope this makes sense?

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
All protoypes and renders up until late have shown #1, as far as I can see. I think that's what people have grown accustomed to. Option #2 and #3 look appealing as well, but feels more unknown how they will work in practise. In my case I prefer a thick front plate, so #1 is a bit easier for me to decide on. However, if you expose the brain long enough to choice, you might go mad... ;)

eggDK

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2016
@firewolfy, every time you throw up a poll regarding details that you couldn't decide on your own, I've wondered if you find yourself rooting for one of the options? I've heard that throwing a coin can help one decide, by tricking you into suddenly preferring one result over the other... What I'm really asking is: which design version do you prefer?

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Well, I prefer the versions with the front vertical rounded edges.
But I wasn't an art major, so I lean on the community for aesthetics feedback. After all, I started out making a 2 slice toaster lol.

I want this case to be a success, for all you guys who have been helping me work it into shape for more than a year, and because I absolutely love the small size and efficiency is offers.

Thanks

murrgz

Efficiency Noob
Oct 3, 2016
I'm in a similar boat with Mackan when it comes to option 1. I've been following this project since last fall on [H] and the front plate design has always been what I've associated as the "official" design for it. Having it in the front makes it feel more like a special centerpiece. Also there was the idea people had in mind awhile back of either modding or creating custom front plates if they wanted to, an option that would be lost with the top plate design.

Popstar

Chassis Packer
Feb 13, 2016
@firewolfy when doing another poll you may want to make all the choices as similar as possible in your renders, other than the option you're polling about.

Someone might be biased towards option three because they prefer a clean no-IO front for instance. Your three renders all have other changes besides the top/front plate. Front I/O, the angle, the screw colour are different. Even knowing you're not asking about those, it makes it more difficult to compare. "Do I really prefer the look of option X? Or is it that I prefer that render because Y?"

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
My 2c:

Since aesthetics is subjective, what about looking at it from technical perspective, like:

Basically there are only 2 ways to open the case, pulling up (v1) or pulling out to the front (v2 & v3). Which one is easier to do?

Or perhaps, if I badly dent my panel, which one is easier to fix / make replacement for?

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
End of polling for 3 versions of MI-6. Results:

Since no version received a majority of votes, the top two will face a runoff poll. I created the final runoff poll on the first page of the thread. The poll will be open for 2 days.

Thanks!