Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Yess I'm also waiting for that somebody who's crazy yet skillful enough to do it.

Cmon, imagine that distroloft.. Thicc sexy piece of wet acrylic, trying hard to contain that hot, steamy processors.

thel3igo

Trash Compacter
Nov 4, 2018
Took some VERY rough measurements on the space in my case... it would be extremely tight, but it seems that there are components that you could do a custom loop with in this case. Basically any old slim 120mm radiator + 120mm fan in the tall loft, then a Swift Apogee Drive II waterblock+ddc pump combo should just have enough clearance to fit in the case. If you want to got all out you can even get a GPU waterblock from Byski (only company I have been able to find that makes waterblocks at the itx gpu size). That leaves the reservoir. The smallest I have been able to find is a 90mm length Primochill reservoir (link). By itself it should fit in the case, but if you were to add fittings for tubing it might not make the cut becuase there isn't much space left (if it does fit the fittings will have to be on the same side of the reservoir). So yeah, it might actually be possible based on the specs of the case and the hardware that is out there.

Edit: noticed my flair is caliper novice. This is funny because I was using calipers do to these measurements as they are the only device I have right now that could give me a semi-accurate ruling on the dimensions of the case. I truly was using the calipers like a novice

Reactions: Revenant and ignsvn

thel3igo

Trash Compacter
Nov 4, 2018
What are you planning? ?

Also, if anyone feels like biting the bullet, I made a parts list that should work in the MI6. Some notes about included parts, if you just want cpu cooling in the loop you will not need the short loft or a 2nd rad, and should get a more powerful fan. If you do want both the gpu and cpu cooling, then the short loft is required to provide clearance for the top part of the gpu waterblock. It may be possible to mount the 2nd rad on the "ceiling" between the short and tall loft, meaning you could get a standard 25mm thick fan of which there are much more powerful varieties and still have plenty of space left over in the tall loft (might even be able to get a little bit bigger of a rad in the tall loft), but in practice not sure how well this would work. It all depends on the specs of the waterblock and if the short loft gives enough clearance (it definitley will work with the current setup with both rads in the tall loft, however I cannot speak to the cooling performance. I feel it may not be sufficient, but who knows?

Reactions: ignsvn

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
What are you planning? ?

Also, if anyone feels like biting the bullet, I made a parts list that should work in the MI6. Some notes about included parts, if you just want cpu cooling in the loop you will not need the short loft or a 2nd rad, and should get a more powerful fan. If you do want both the gpu and cpu cooling, then the short loft is required to provide clearance for the top part of the gpu waterblock. It may be possible to mount the 2nd rad on the "ceiling" between the short and tall loft, meaning you could get a standard 25mm thick fan of which there are much more powerful varieties and still have plenty of space left over in the tall loft (might even be able to get a little bit bigger of a rad in the tall loft), but in practice not sure how well this would work. It all depends on the specs of the waterblock and if the short loft gives enough clearance (it definitley will work with the current setup with both rads in the tall loft, however I cannot speak to the cooling performance. I feel it may not be sufficient, but who knows?

I really feel like trying to put small exhaust fans on top. For science LOL.

On the CPU area, you can put 2 fans. The first location I specified in the picture is really ideal since it's not blocked by anything (it'll sit just next to the GPU locking mechanism). You can put another one just next to the riser. It'll push the riser a bit but it fits. It's just that at this position, 30% of total fan diameter will be "blocked" by the non-vented part of the top cover.

On the GPU area, you can also put 2, but since the room is smaller, both fans you put will be blocked by the non-vented part of the top cover, also around 30%.

But I'll need some custom fan brackets.. ?

Last edited:

miklovin

Cable Smoosher
Jan 5, 2019
miklovin,
Sorry, been a bit busy and didn't get back to you. The LED is part of the push button switch, which is soldered to the board. I do not know the P/N of the switch. You could solder another switch on there, -it just has to be the same size, so the button cap will fit over it.

I have some extra boards. I could just send you one if you pay postage.
-Fire

Whoo, just saw your response now. Happy to pay for postage!

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
@firewolfy , for the upcoming batch, will you consider to bring the Kensington lock hole back?
That might be an option I could do. I just didn't have more than 1 or 2 peeps interested back when the case was being developed. If more are interested now, I could add it back in.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
That might be an option I could do. I just didn't have more than 1 or 2 peeps interested back when the case was being developed. If more are interested now, I could add it back in.

Yes I'd love to have the Kensington lock back. In fact, the whole thing in the old rear side design.. it is the best IMO.

Darn this image. Brings back memories.

Reactions: rfarmer

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Me too, I was much more fond of the wrap around top and sides, but still love the look of the front and sides together.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Me too, I was much more fond of the wrap around top and sides, but still love the look of the front and sides together.

Oh I mean I like the extra vents & Kensington lock behind.

Other than that, I think it's a good decision to go with flat top cover instead, as it allows extensions (the loft) without increasing its footprint.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I don't actually have my MI-6 any longer, gave it to a friend but I like to keep track of what you all are up to. Currently I have a Ncase M1, Louqe Ghost S1 and a Nouvolo Steck.

Yeah I remember you gave your MI-6 to your friend.

M1, Ghost, and Steck.. LOL anything else coming? And what do you use them for? I personally find it hard to find a valid use case for having 2 systems at once.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Yeah I remember you gave your MI-6 to your friend.

M1, Ghost, and Steck.. LOL anything else coming? And what do you use them for? I personally find it hard to find a valid use case for having 2 systems at once.

The Ncase was last used as my HTPC but has been retired, I am considering selling it. The Ghost is housing my current gaming rig, 8700k and RTX 2070 with full water cooling. The Steck I will be using with the Ryzen 5 and a GTX 1080 SC. Depending on performance I may put the Ghost up for sale as a complete system.