Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
The first 2 pics are of the short loft for fans. It has 30mm of internal height, so slim or 25mm height fans can be used (2x 92mm or one 120mm). The 30mm height is to keep the fan blades away from the vent pattern to minimize any noise.

Reactions: chyll2 and thel3igo

vn01587733

Minimal Tinkerer
Feb 24, 2019
The first 2 pics are of the short loft for fans. It has 30mm of internal height, so slim or 25mm height fans can be used (2x 92mm or one 120mm). The 30mm height is to keep the fan blades away from the vent pattern to minimize any noise.

30mm is too high, make it 20mm and use slim fan only.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
I finally got the chance to install my custom cables from moddiy. Overall the quality was good, I've never had custom cables before so I don't have anything to compare to. They were much cheaper than cable mods, and the reviews I read on them were good.
I ended up getting the regular sleeved cables, but I probably should have gotten the slim cables they offer, as they told me themselves they're easier to bend and manipulate.
The custom lengths are nice as they get rid of the rats nest of cables I had sitting right on top of my fan from my SF600. I don't know if it actually helps with the airflow from the slim Noctua fan, but in my mind it seems like there is more open space for the air to flow without obstruction, so maybe it will help?

Reactions: rfarmer

vn01587733

Minimal Tinkerer
Feb 24, 2019
So, which is it? Is the extra centimeter not that much taller or too much?

I mean the case need a fan on top to to exhaust the hot air faster. And the slim fan will not made the case look too high like regular fans.
For me, I think the best method is that the case ver 3 will have more room to attach slim fans; the short loft will just need enough room to mount the 120mm radiator and the AIO will use slim fan too.
Fire just needs to make 1 soft loft, not 2. This will save his time.

Sorry. My english is not good so I hope you guy can understand what I mean.

Reactions: thel3igo

Engr62

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2018
I finally got the chance to install my custom cables from moddiy. Overall the quality was good, I've never had custom cables before so I don't have anything to compare to. They were much cheaper than cable mods, and the reviews I read on them were good.
I ended up getting the regular sleeved cables, but I probably should have gotten the slim cables they offer, as they told me themselves they're easier to bend and manipulate.
The custom lengths are nice as they get rid of the rats nest of cables I had sitting right on top of my fan from my SF600. I don't know if it actually helps with the airflow from the slim Noctua fan, but in my mind it seems like there is more open space for the air to flow without obstruction, so maybe it will help?

Did you get custom lengths as well? If so, what lengths for each cable if you don't mind?

I tried ordering custom cables for my MI-6 from AliExpress, but after waiting for 2+ months, I finally cancelled the order. I've thought of trying to sleeve my own, but the cost of the supplies is way more than the ones I've looked at from moddiy (~$60).

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

Pics, we need pics. ;)

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
The lengths were 35cm for the 24pin which probably could have been a 30cm, 30 for the 8pin EPS, 35 for GPU 8 pin, and 15+5 for the sata, the 5 is the length from the first connector to the second.

I'll get some pics when I can borrow a camera from someone.

Reactions: Engr62

nicb6

Trash Compacter
Jul 14, 2018
The lengths were 35cm for the 24pin which probably could have been a 30cm, 30 for the 8pin EPS, 35 for GPU 8 pin, and 15+5 for the sata, the 5 is the length from the first connector to the second.

I'll get some pics when I can borrow a camera from someone.

I got 20cm for the 24pin, 20cm for the 4+4pin CPU and 30cm for the 6+2pin GPU. This works really well.

Reactions: Engr62

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
I was worried about getting too short of a cable and having to re-order one cable, so I added some length. It's nice not having the extra bulk.

Engr62

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2018
I got 20cm for the 24pin, 20cm for the 4+4pin CPU and 30cm for the 6+2pin GPU. This works really well.

@nicb6, what motherboard and PSU do you have? I have a Supermicro Z370 ITX board (MBD-C7Z370-CG-IW-O) and a Corsair SF600 PSU. The 24-pin connector on my motherboard is so close to my PSU that I could probably have a 24-pin cable under 15 cm.

nicb6

Trash Compacter
Jul 14, 2018
I have the same PSU and an AsRock Z370M-ITX. 10-15cm could work, but 20cm was the shortest I could get :)

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I'm using my MI-6 system as I type this. Man, I LOVE this case. I was wondering though... has anyone considered using the lofts as additional SSD storage?

Reactions: ignsvn

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I'm using my MI-6 system as I type this. Man, I LOVE this case. I was wondering though... has anyone considered using the lofts as additional SSD storage?

Being the ever resourceful person I am, I once suggested to @firewolfy to add extra opening for ports like USB, VR etc on the loft. In fact, if the loft can be made rear-front symetrical, you can rotate it so that the extra holes can face forward if required. Perhaps keystone modules can be considered for future proofing.

And yeah I too love this case. I moved house last week, and.. I just put it in my backpack and ready to go.

Edit: it makes my 24" Dell monitor looks terribly big LOL.

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
@firewolfy - if you could answer the following questions :)

1. Does the case (when available again) come with any quick release brackets included ?? - I assume not
2. Does the PCI opening come with dummy PCI covers ?? - I assume not
3. Are the bottom feet removable ??
4. For the PCI HDD bracket - since the 2.5 drives mount on the slots - have you considered a 2.5 only version
A smaller one held by 1 bottom screw should be sufficient and would not block the motherboard cutout as much

Thank you

Last edited:

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
@firewolfy - if you could answer the following questions :)

1. Does the case (when available again) come with any quick release brackets included ?? - I assume not
2. Does the PCI opening come with dummy PCI covers ?? - I assume not
3. Are the bottom feet removable ??
4. For the PCI HDD bracket - since the 2.5 drives mount on the slots - have you considered a 2.5 only version
A smaller one held by 1 bottom screw should be sufficient and would not block the motherboard cutout as much

Thank you

Yeah, quick release brackets are optional ($10).
The PCI openings have no covers.
The bottom feet have been bonded to the chassis. There is a chance that might change in the next version to a threaded attachment.
I hadn't considered a mini bracket for 2.5" ssd/hdd only. Good idea. I'll look at that idea if the sales volumes come up with the next version.

Thanks,
-Fire

Reactions: Jello

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
I hadn't considered a mini bracket for 2.5" ssd/hdd only. Good idea. I'll look at that idea if the sales volumes come up with the next version.

Thanks,
-Fire

Please do consider it, would like to use this case as a small NAS.
In fact, if the flat end was bent 90 degrees to make it U-shaped instead of L-Shaped, one could mount 4 and you can leave a cutout in the middle that doesnt cover the MB opening :)

It would also reduce the need to mount drives on the regular mount points as the GPU compartment becomes a drive compartment

EDIT: looked at twitter and found you are based in AZ - any chance you could indulge a fellow AZ-ian - LOL

Last edited:

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I believe a while back there was mention of painted chassis. If the MI-6 was offered in white with black trim I would throw my money at it. Is there any possibility a painted batch might be made?

Reactions: Brude27