Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Thanks for the explanation--best I've seen. I checked the temps in Ryzen Master tonight. It is giving the same temperature readings as I was getting with CPUID HWMonitor.

I was correct in my assumption... the CPU fan profile was set to "Standard" in the BIOS. I set it to "Maximum" and re-ran the trans-coding test. The peak temperature dropped to 62C with the fan running at 2077 RPM. I set it back to "Standard" and re-ran the test so I could see what speed the fan is running since I failed to record that earlier. Set to "standard," the fan peaked at 1849 RPM while achieving a peak CPU temperature of 70C.

I found this article on ITX coolers for Ryzen. My results with the NH-D9L jive with the results presented in the article when the author tests with AIDI64 FPU. I guess I'll go ahead and test with the Cryorig C7 when the AM4 adapter arrives since that is my only option of coolers I currently have that will fit in the MI-6, but I don't expect it to be sufficient.

My next step will be to fork over $60 when I can afford it to get the NH-L12. Either that, or just run this system in my NCASE M1. But, I prefer the CCD MI-6.

In that case, if the reading in Ryzen master is 70C, then you have plenty more headroom, at least 20C.

nicb6

Trash Compacter
Jul 14, 2018
Guys don't forget the Scythe Shuriken 2 Rev. B CPU cooler with a 120x120x20mm or 140x140x15mm fan. Pretty good cooling power...

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
I could use some help on the Loft design if anyone has a minute. Need to decide on how to attach the top plate to the Lofts: 4 screws or the 4 friction fit clips? I made a straw poll HERE, and/or you can comment here. Thanks!

Oh, and Loft info is HERE.

eggDK

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2016
Hey fire, sorry I didn't vote yet. I feel we need a better feel of how both solutions would be executed? How would access to the screws be? How firm would the frictions clips be? etc.. (if I missed these details earlier in the thread I apologize..)

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Hey fire, sorry I didn't vote yet. I feel we need a better feel of how both solutions would be executed? How would access to the screws be? How firm would the frictions clips be? etc.. (if I missed these details earlier in the thread I apologize..)

Well, based on voting up to this morning, I have drawn a conclusion and direction for the top plate attachment onto a Loft. 45 votes cast over the last 3 days and 76% went for the standard screw attachment, so the direction is clear. To attach a top plate to a Loft, the same screws will be used as for the basic case top plate and cover. No friction clips.

Man I am glad that there was strong majority feedback, as it makes meeting customer preferences that much easier.

So to add a top plate to a case, the 4 screws and top plate are removed from the case, the Loft is installed, then the top plate is put back on (using the same 4 screws).

Last edited:
Reactions: eggDK and Engr62

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Well, based on voting up to this morning, I have drawn a conclusion and direction for the top plate attachment onto a Loft. 45 votes cast over the last 3 days and 76% went for the standard screw attachment, so the direction is clear. To attach a top plate to a Loft, the same screws will be used as for the basic case top plate and cover. No friction clips.

Man I am glad that there was strong majority feedback, as it makes meeting customer preferences that much easier.

So to add a top plate to a case, the 4 screws and top plate are removed from the case, the Loft is installed, then the top plate is put back on (using the same 4 screws).
HT to @ignsvn btw for the great idea to run a poll!

Engr62

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2018
The CPU cooler envelope is 68mm for the MI-6, but a cooler height of 65mm is recommended. The Raijintek Pallas is 68mm tall with a top-mounted 140mm fan and seems to perform only slightly worse than the Noctua NH-L12 with both fans and a little better than the NH-L12 with only the bottom 92mm fan.

Has anyone tried one of these in the MI-6? I know that it will make more noise to have the fan so close to the case cover, but the 140mm fan (1400 RPM max) should help with the noise, right?

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
The CPU cooler envelope is 68mm for the MI-6, but a cooler height of 65mm is recommended. The Raijintek Pallas is 68mm tall with a top-mounted 140mm fan and seems to perform only slightly worse than the Noctua NH-L12 with both fans and a little better than the NH-L12 with only the bottom 92mm fan.

Has anyone tried one of these in the MI-6? I know that it will make more noise to have the fan so close to the case cover, but the 140mm fan (1400 RPM max) should help with the noise, right?
Well it doesn't look like anyone has the Pallas, based on lack of responses. There would likely be some noise, being that close to the cover vents.

Engr62

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2018
Well it doesn't look like anyone has the Pallas, based on lack of responses. There would likely be some noise, being that close to the cover vents.
Thanks. I guess I'll find out first-hand when I get the AM4 bracket (which may take a couple of weeks). I tried my Cryorig C7 on the Ryzen 7 1800X, and it couldn't keep it from throttling.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Is it possible to put the asetek 92mm aio in here? Would it be possible if I used dual HDPlex 160s o something instead?

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
I'm working on a update regarding the MI-6 next production run. Should be out later today.

Reactions: Bonk

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Ok, here is the latest on the MI-6 Second Batch Production Status. I put it in today's CCD newsletter.

Ordering and payments are still available for the this batch until October 10th.

There have been some additional orders and a few cancellations since the last newsletter. We are at about 45 cases ordered now. Not yet at the 100 case target.

Since we are approaching the October 10th closing date for ordering, there are a couple of options I am analyzing:

1) Run a batch size smaller than 100 cases. I will be contacting my sheet metal shop this week to have him quote me the cost for a smaller case run. This might be a solution unless the cost rises significantly.

2) Extend the ordering window past October 10th. Currently if there are less than 100 case orders when 45 days have elapsed since the ordering kickoff, production will be cancelled and payments refunded (October 10). This could be changed so that the ordering window would be extended instead of closed. This would push out the delivery date to Christmas or after. With growing publicity about the case, this might also be a good solution.

I'll have more information in a week.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
FYI,
Ordering for the next batch has been extended to Oct 31. I plan to work on making the lofts available for order after that.

sffislifeissff

Reactions: Engr62