Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Ok. I just finished my build, moving from the Dan A4-SFX to the MI-6

The build was easy once I read the suggested build order. Can't believe I pulled at ID-10-T error on that.

Fit and finish of the case is superb. It’s the best looking case I own (and I own a lot of cases!). The attention to detail in design, packaging, and the included parts easily rivals that of Dan and NCASE. Everyone who has seen it, loves it.

I figured I would post some temps I’m seeing. This is not a review of the case, but more an example build.

Here is a recap of the specs:

Intel I7-8700 Non-K (4.3GHZ max turbo on all 6 cores).
Asus Z370 ITX Stryx
32GB of Corsair DDR4-3200
MSI Geforce 1070 Aero ITX
Samsung EVO 960 NVME 2280 SSD
Seagate 2TB 2.5 Inch HD
Corsair 600 watt SFX PSU

Cooling

Noctua NH-L12 w/ 92MM bottom fan only (default intake mode). (Set to 100% as it's virtually inaudible)

Noctua 92mm slim fan as bottom intake. (Set to silent mode in BIOS, with the Noctua low noise adapter installed.)

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal paste.

Ambient temp was 72F.

Method:

NOTE: There was a flaw in the mainboard discovered after this was posted. Please see post 642.

For temperature tests, I played Battlefield 1 on 64 player conquest while also chatting on Discord for approximately 1 hour. Game was at 1440P on Ultra Settings. I used a GSYNC monitor that can display 165hz refresh. VSYNC off of course (Redundant with GSYNC) .

In order to get a solid 4.3GHZ on all 6 cores, under heavy load, I had to raise the CPUS max longterm and shorterm wattage allowed in the BIOS from 65 to 110 watts. For reference, I believe the 8700K is rated at 95 Watts.

I used MSI Afterburner to dial in a +200 OC on the 1070 core. I consistently saw 2.1 GHZ boost clock while playing.

Results:

Using the above listed set up, I consistently saw frame rates during intense gameplay in the 80s to low 90s. (1440P, Ultra)

The CPU was rock solid at 4.3GHZ per MSI Afterburner.

The CPU Temp spiked into the mid 90s at times, but stayed mostly in the high 80s. This is where a delid would be useful. My system did not lower it's turbo clock, but wow did it run hot.

The GPU stayed at about 75C under full load.

The front mounted hard drive never broke 40C, and was mostly at about 35C.

The NVME SSD was in the 50C to 60C range.

The top of the case got HOT to the touch under a gaming load. However, this is consistent with a GPU that dumps hot air back into the case. As such it wasn’t unexpected, and I saw the same behavior with the DAN A4-SFX. If an XL version of the case is ever designed, I would suggest just adding a top mounted 92x15 exhaust fan, making room for a 92x25 bottom mounted intake fan, and room for the newer Noctua NH-L12S by increasing the with a few mm.

Noise level was excellent in all conditions. I sit 2 feet from the system, with it on my left side facing me. At idle, it's barely audible. I strained to hear it. At load it was pretty quiet. I definitely could not hear it over the games.

Overall, great design, great looks, and I'm VERY happy with it. When I start doing some Premier work on it I will post some new thermal results.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoSk0pz

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015

The build was easy once I read the suggested build order. Can't believe I pulled at ID-10-T error on that.

Asus Z370 ITX Stryx
Seagate 2TB 2.5 Inch HD
Corsair 600 watt SFX PSU

Cooling

Noctua NH-L12 w/ 92MM bottom fan only (default intake mode). (Set to 100% as it's virtually inaudible)

Noctua 92mm slim fan as bottom intake. (Set to silent mode in BIOS, with the Noctua low noise adapter installed.)

Ambient temp was 72F.

Method:

For temperature tests, I played Battlefield 1 on 64 player conquest while also chatting on Discord for approximately 1 hour. Game was at 1440P on Ultra Settings. I used a GSYNC monitor that can display 165hz refresh. VSYNC off of course (Redundant with GSYNC) .

In order to get a solid 4.3GHZ on all 6 cores, under heavy load, I had to raise the CPUS max longterm and shorterm wattage allowed in the BIOS from 65 to 110 watts. For reference, I believe the 8700K is rated at 95 Watts.

I used MSI Afterburner to dial in a +200 OC on the 1070 core. I consistently saw 2.1 GHZ boost clock while playing.

Results:

Using the above listed set up, I consistently saw frame rates during intense gameplay in the 80s to low 90s. (1440P, Ultra)

The CPU Temp spiked into the mid 90s at times, but stayed mostly in the high 80s. This is where a delid would be useful. My system did not lower it's turbo clock, but wow did it run hot.

The top of the case got HOT to the touch under a gaming load. However, this is consistent with a GPU that dumps hot air back into the case. As such it wasn’t unexpected, and I saw the same behavior with the DAN A4-SFX. If an XL version of the case is ever designed, I would suggest just adding a top mounted 92x15 exhaust fan, making room for a 92x25 bottom mounted intake fan, and room for the newer Noctua NH-L12S by increasing the with a few mm.

Noise level was excellent in all conditions. I sit 2 feet from the system, with it on my left side facing me. At idle, it's barely audible. I strained to hear it. At load it was pretty quiet. I definitely could not hear it over the games.

Overall, great design, great looks, and I'm VERY happy with it. When I start doing some Premier work on it I will post some new thermal results.

Sounds awesome...!

Would be interested in temps & such with a delid for the CPU & replacing the thermal paste on the GPU with some Kryonaut as well...

The 960 EVO, was that mounted in the front position (front side of motherboard), and with or without the heat sink (the ASUS provided one)...?

I had always pushed for a pair of top mounted 92mm exhaust fans (15mm thick good, 25mm thick better),,,

As an add-on piece, Fire could do a TopHat-esque unit; S for 15mm thick fans, M for 25mm thick fans...

A slightly wider unit to fit the NH-L12S would be nice, since that would allow the slim 120mm fan in the bottom position, which has to allow for better cooling...? I wonder if the extra few mms could be gained by shifting over the divider plate to the GPU side...?

The original design had venting on the front of the chassis on the GPU side, I wonder if a return to that might help GPU temps, as a few of the ITX-sized GPUs out there have their heat sink fins oriented such that the majority of the airflow is channeled towards the front (with some venting on the PCI bracket) and rear (where it usually slams into the front interior chassis wall)...

Or, for an XL redesign, maybe a pair of front mounted 92mm fans as intake & a pair of 92mm fans up top as exhaust; 2.5" SSD mount on the bottom of the chassis where the 92mm intake fan currently is...

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Sounds awesome...!

Would be interested in temps & such with a delid for the CPU & replacing the thermal paste on the GPU with some Kryonaut as well...

The 960 EVO, was that mounted in the front position (front side of motherboard), and with or without the heat sink (the ASUS provided one)...?

I had always pushed for a pair of top mounted 92mm exhaust fans (15mm thick good, 25mm thick better),,,

As an add-on piece, Fire could do a TopHat-esque unit; S for 15mm thick fans, M for 25mm thick fans...

A slightly wider unit to fit the NH-L12S would be nice, since that would allow the slim 120mm fan in the bottom position, which has to allow for better cooling...? I wonder if the extra few mms could be gained by shifting over the divider plate to the GPU side...?

The original design had venting on the front of the chassis on the GPU side, I wonder if a return to that might help GPU temps, as a few of the ITX-sized GPUs out there have their heat sink fins oriented such that the majority of the airflow is channeled towards the front (with some venting on the PCI bracket) and rear (where it usually slams into the front interior chassis wall)...

Or, for an XL redesign, maybe a pair of front mounted 92mm fans as intake & a pair of 92mm fans up top as exhaust; 2.5" SSD mount on the bottom of the chassis where the 92mm intake fan currently is...

If I delid a CPU I would use liquid metal. Kryonaut is thermal paste. It's great, but no where near liquid metal.

960EVO is mounted on the front of the board, with the heatsink. I was concerned the heatsink was actually trapping hot air. I read a few tests of this and most found it's not the case. To remove it to test it myself right now I would have to pull the heatsink off. I'm simply not going to do that right now.

The NH-L12S would likely cool a bit better, but also have the added benefit of cooling the mainboard, RAM, and other components more. However, it might be louder.

Last edited:

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015

If I delid a CPU I would use liquid metal. Kryonaut is thermal paste. It's great, but no where near liquid metal.

I would use (as does Silicon Lottery) Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut for a delid on the CPU; when I mentioned the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, it was in reference to using it on the GPU (see the quote of my post above)...

960EVO is mounted on the front of the board, with the heatsink. I was concerned the heatsink was actually trapping hot air. I read a few tests of this and most found it's not the case. To remove it to test it myself right now I would have to pull the heatsink off. I'm simply not going to do that right now.

Was not asking for temps without the heat sink (would not expect you to strip the thermal pad off); was simply asking if the M.2 was front or rear mounted, and if you had used the included heat sink or not...

In short, was just wondering what effects delidding the CPU with Conductonaut & re-doing the GPU with Kryonaut might have on overall system / chassis temps...!

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I would use (as does Silicon Lottery) Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut for a delid on the CPU; when I mentioned the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, it was in reference to using it on the GPU (see the quote of my post above)...

Was not asking for temps without the heat sink (would not expect you to strip the thermal pad off); was simply asking if the M.2 was front or rear mounted, and if you had used the included heat sink or not...

In short, was just wondering what effects delidding the CPU with Conductonaut & re-doing the GPU with Kryonaut might have on overall system / chassis temps...!

Sorry Boil. It was late and I was very tired. I misread your post. I also didn’t mean to sound like a jerk.

I’ve seen a couple vids where they brought GPU temps down by 3 to 5 C by doing a thermal paste swap. I might do something like that when the prices of GPUs drop. As of right now though, that GPU is getting white glove treatment. ^_~

I think Gamer Nexus did a liquid metal test on GPUs with mixed results.

I know you’re not asking me to do so. I’m just elaborating on what info I do have. Same with the EVO.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015

Fit and finish of the case is superb. It’s the best looking case I own (and I own a lot of cases!). The attention to detail in design, packaging, and the included parts easily rivals that of Dan and NCASE. Everyone who has seen it, loves it.

I figured I would post some temps I’m seeing. This is not a review of the case, but more an example build.

Asus Z370 ITX Stryx
Seagate 2TB 2.5 Inch HD
Corsair 600 watt SFX PSU

Cooling

Ambient temp was 72F.

Method:

Results:

Revenant,

Wow, thanks for the detailed review and feedback
Fire

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
built this morning (rushed due to work). edit: thoughts added

The MI-6 is one of the first cases that helped introduce me to the world of SFF, so I was super excited to finally build in this case. This is my third mini-ITX build (after CustomMod Slim and modded S4M). I’m using all components that were used in the Slim with a few new additions. I would have liked to build an entirely new system, but I don’t have the components for that.

Build Quality

The build quality is great. All pieces of the case feel extremely solid and well-crafted. All of the cutouts, screw positions, etc. are perfect. The pre-sleeved power button feels premium. It’s a fairly easy and straightforward case to build in. The feet are secured via some adhesive, but they are very sturdy and aren’t going anywhere. I’m also a fan of the additional rubber on the bottom. The edges of the body shell are a bit sharp. One small issue is the inner side of the shell scrapes on the frame when removing/attaching it. I think this might be remedied with the included anti-friction tape. I will take a look when I get home. Other than that, top-notch quality. (Note: fingerprints will be visible.)

Build Experience

There was plenty of room to install parts without any flexing or real tampering with the case. I could easily install a bigger cooler if needed. Every component had its designated space and everything fit properly. My one struggle was cable management. There’s a nice bit of space in front of the PSU, but I’m not the best when it comes to wrangling cables. I basically bunched up what I could and used zip ties to hold everything together. I am tempted to order some custom cables so it would look cleaner and free up some room at the bottom for a fan.

Temperatures

I haven’t had time to run any tests. I will update when I have some results.

Customer Experience

Communication with firewolfy was great. Main communication occurred via email. There were some unforeseen delays, but firewolfy was always quick to communicate any issues. The packaging seemed pretty professional. Extras included FE sticker, zip ties, some anti-friction tape (I need to install this on the body to prevent scraping [assuming that’s what it’s for]), labeled/separated screws, and a pre-installed power button. I also received the HDD mounting bracket (not pictured). It’s a simple, no-frills piece of equipment (although I haven’t yet installed an HDD).

Conclusion

I’ve been anticipating this case for a long time. It’s one of the first that got me interested in SFF. Firewolfy has done a great job building and designing a solid product. He communicates well with his customers, and his passion and attention to detail really show. There aren’t really any downsides to the case: it’s sturdy, well-built, and easy to work in. I’m very excited to finally get my hands on this case.
Glad to see you got your build done and thanks for the feedback on the case. --Fire

NoSk0pz

Average Stuffer
Apr 3, 2017
small update: added a 92mm noctua fan at the bottom. cpu temps during stress testing seemed to have dropped by ~5C (81/82 -> 76 using realbench). I can definitely hear the fan when it's at max rpm (it's right up against the bottom of the case). at this point, i just need to set a fan curve

ps - @Revenant you were not the only one that did not see the assembly instructions ;)

pps - i'm seriously digging this case

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
I'm still waiting for a black powder coat cover sample, but I did get a white powder coat sample cover today.

It is a 80% gloss level. I installed the white cover and mated it to a black top plate.

I am supposed to get the black powder coated cover Monday, and I'll post it when I get it.

Right now, both black and white will be the powder coat options.

Fire

EDIT -- Here is a pic with different lighting to show the gloss:

Last edited:
Reactions: eggDK and CC Ricers

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I'm still waiting for a black powder coat cover sample, but I did get a white powder coat sample cover today.

It is a 80% gloss level. I installed the white cover and mated it to a black top plate.

I am supposed to get the black powder coated cover Monday, and I'll post it when I get it.

Right now, both black and white will be the powder coat options.

Fire

That's my case, just box it up and ship it to me Fire. ;)

Reactions: ignsvn

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
That's my case, just box it up and ship it to me Fire. ;)
Man,
I almost could! Unfortunately, the top cover isn't black powder coat, it was just a brushed matte black anodized one. I think you wouldn't like the clash of gloss and matte brushed anodized. I could be wrong, but Monday I'll have at least 1 black PC top plate and get a photo up. Deal?

Reactions: renecop545

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Man,
I almost could! Unfortunately, the top cover isn't black powder coat, it was just a brushed matte black anodized one. I think you wouldn't like the clash of gloss and matte brushed anodized. I could be wrong, but Monday I'll have at least 1 black PC top plate and get a photo up. Deal?

Yeah you are right, I want the top black powder coated too. But man that looks good with the white and black, I knew it would be an awesome look for the case. :thumb:

Edit: I was so blown away by how great the case looks in white that I didn't notice this was the non front IO version, so what I should have said is "this is almost my case".

Last edited:
Reactions: eggDK

Jino

Efficiency Noob
Nov 2, 2017
I received it so I will introduce it.
My goal is almost impossible to say that it is high power and small and quiet.
But I did it.

CPU : i7-7700K (Delid thermal grizzly)
CPU Cooler : Gabriel + NF-F12
GPU : GeForce GTX 1080 ITX

CPU:24-60C
GPU:28-59C

Great Thanks Fire!!

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
But I did it.

Great Thanks Fire!!

Jino,
That Gabriel and NF-F12 look good in there. I read the Gabriel is rated to 95/100W at only 60mm (with 20mm fan). Sweet idea putting a 25mm fan in there. The 120x25 fan should be moving a TON of air! And a 1080, wow.

Thanks for sharing your build.

Fire

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
But I did it.

Great Thanks Fire!!

That's impressive. What motherboard are you using? I assume not every motherboard can easily accept that Gabriel + NF-F12 combo.

Edit: ok saw the Asrock mobo box.

Also, that GTX 1080 temp is awesome! Is that during benchmark, or gaming?

Edit: also, mind to state your ambient temp?

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
That's impressive. What motherboard are you using? I assume not every motherboard can easily accept that Gabriel + NF-F12 combo.

You can see the box in the first pic, Asrock Z270 Fatal1ty.

Reactions: ignsvn

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Added a few pics of my build. I need to do some more cablegami, but so far so good. Did anyone order cable mods?I’ll post the pics up in the morning.

Jino

Efficiency Noob
Nov 2, 2017

Edit: ok saw the Asrock mobo box.

yes.
When using Gabriel we need to pay attention to the motherboard properly.
I think GIGABYTE GA-Z270N-Gaming 5 etc is impossible because it interferes.

The temperature of 1080 is in the gaming. (GuildWars 2, WQHD, 120 fps)
However, the graphic setting has not changed since the time of GTX 760.