Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Anyone else check to see updates in this thread multiple times a day?

Everything on track?

Revenant,

Everything is moving along great. --Only waiting on aluminum fabrications from my local shop that are due next week, and the front I/O board cable assemblies due to reach me tomorrow. The hardware (screws, standoffs, case feet, etc), power switch cables, PCIE cables and such are all in, checked and ready to go.

I've mostly been doing some mundane things, -and hadn't thought to put it up on thread. I guess if I was in a customer's shoes, I'd be chomping at the bit, a bit. So without further delay, here are a few pics of the process going on.

Last week I made it through electrically checking an awful lot (seemingly 5000) of custom power switch cable assemblies that came in. 5 out of 100 weren't wired right, and a few had some shrink tube issues. Sent the rejects back to get replaced. Have plenty for the production run.

And this week fit-checked the front push buttons and bezels. They look pretty good, there is a just a bit of diameter variation from the 3D printer, so I matched each button to a mating bezel that would fit best.

By the way, I had the custom electrical house laser etch text on the cable connectors to simplify connections:

I want to make sure the packaging is functional, simple and secure. I've been working on internally securing the USB/audio and PCIE cables. Here is an early attempt:

And, I think I might have mentioned this before, but if you ordered the front I/O version of the MI-6, it will come with 2 covers for the back button hole. One solid and flush, the other a cable feed-through grommet.

The plan for the next few days: Receive and check all the front I/O assemblies, then wait not-so-patiently for the aluminum chassis and cover parts (!)

Be safe out there
Fire

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Anyone else check to see updates in this thread multiple times a day?

Everything on track?

I check this thread and the one at [H]ard several times a day, also check Fire's website for any updates couple times a week. Thanks for the update @firewolfy looking very good.

My only concern now is I have everything I need for my build except for the GPU and I am started to get worried. Looks like every GPU in the world is being used for mining and everything is out of stock.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Thank you for the update and all the quality control checks!

LeMoNH3aD

Average Stuffer
Oct 25, 2017
I check this thread and the one at [H]ard several times a day, also check Fire's website for any updates couple times a week. Thanks for the update @firewolfy looking very good.

My only concern now is I have everything I need for my build except for the GPU and I am started to get worried. Looks like every GPU in the world is being used for mining and everything is out of stock.

Glad I'm not the only one!

Thanks Fire for the pictures and updates!!

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
An update I did over on [H] just now:

Hey,
I received word from the aluminum fabricator that they had some trouble with the anodizing house they use. In fact the anodizer shut down. I don't have a whole lot more info than that, except that another anodizer has been switched over to. The net result is that there will be over a week delay in my receiving the case chassis parts. I've moved out the start of shipment to Feb 9, a full 2 weeks from Jan 26, in case there are any other problems that might crop up.

It's always the last 10% of the project that poses the biggest problems, as they say.

--- On a separate note, for those interested in a case but didn't make onto this batch, I'm working on customizing the 4 pre-production cases that I have sitting here. Looking to go with a matte minor-textured black powder coat. --Or maybe an eggshell white powder coat, or old school powderblue with white on top... Well, I haven't quite figured out the powdercoat color to go with on the covers of those 4. If you are interested or have ideas, I'm all ears!

Thanks
Fire

Reactions: LeMoNH3aD

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
An update I did over on [H] just now:

Hey,
I received word from the aluminum fabricator that they had some trouble with the anodizing house they use. In fact the anodizer shut down. I don't have a whole lot more info than that, except that another anodizer has been switched over to. The net result is that there will be over a week delay in my receiving the case chassis parts. I've moved out the start of shipment to Feb 9, a full 2 weeks from Jan 26, in case there are any other problems that might crop up.

It's always the last 10% of the project that poses the biggest problems, as they say.

--- On a separate note, for those interested in a case but didn't make onto this batch, I'm working on customizing the 4 pre-production cases that I have sitting here. Looking to go with a matte minor-textured black powder coat. --Or maybe an eggshell white powder coat, or old school powderblue with white on top... Well, I haven't quite figured out the powdercoat color to go with on the covers of those 4. If you are interested or have ideas, I'm all ears!

Thanks
Fire

Thanks for the update Fire, sucks about the delay. Hopefully that will be the last one.

Damn but that eggshell white sounds cool.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
...customizing the 4 pre-production cases that I have sitting here. Looking to go with a matte minor-textured black powder coat. --Or maybe an eggshell white powder coat, or old school powderblue with white on top... Well, I haven't quite figured out the powdercoat color to go with on the covers of those 4. If you are interested or have ideas, I'm all ears!

Harvest Gold

Avocado Green

Burnt Orange

?!? ;^p

Reactions: XcPNehVYlE4A3C

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Thought I would share this with you guys. I have pretty much given up on being able to find a GPU for my MI-6 anytime soon with the incredibly high prices, but a Gigabyte GTX 1060 for $1900 is the worst price gouging I have seen. Makes me want to cry.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Yeah.. gonna stick with my GTX 950 for a while. I rarely have time to play games recently anyway, so..

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
So.. in accordance with safety guidelines (and what we all know), I never used my PC since early January (but I leave it plugged to the power outlet).

That seemed to be a good decision, because, today, while using my laptop, suddenly I heard that PSU crackling noise again from my PC! Yes, my PC, which is plugged but not turned on!

I straight away unplug the power socket :D

Anyho, does anyone know why?

Last edited:

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Thought I would share this with you guys. I have pretty much given up on being able to find a GPU for my MI-6 anytime soon with the incredibly high prices, but a Gigabyte GTX 1060 for $1900 is the worst price gouging I have seen. Makes me want to cry.

That is Insane@&*%!, just like the price increase in bitcoin I guess.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
can i buy this?
Hey there,
Thanks for the post. The MI-6 case is built in batches, and there are some in production now, but they have already been prepurchased. There will be another batch of cases made, but I don't have a schedule for that yet.

I'll post here as I develop plans for the next batch, so you can check back or subscribe to the thread.

Thx
Fire