Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I am getting ready for my MI-6 build and did some preliminary CPU cooler testing today. I had been worried that I would not be able to sufficiently cool my 8700k with the available coolers.

First thing I did was delid. I have been running this CPU in my Ncase using a Be Quiet Dark Rock TF. If left in the Ncase I probably would not have bothered with the delid. Normal temps while gaming were mid 50C to low 60C which I am fine with. Testing a 5.0 GHz overclock at 1.35v I got single core temps as high as 87C. After the delid max single core temps were a full 20C lower and 15C lower at 1.25v.

I ended up going with the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev B, I really wanted the Noctua NH-L12 but lack of supply and super high prices decided for me (wish I had ordered before they discontinued them). At only $36 hard to pass up the Big Shuriken.

Before swapping coolers I ran stress test with no overclock, 4.3 GHz at 1.20v. Max single core temp with the Dark Rock was 55C. Now the shocker, max single core temp with the Big Shuriken was 62C. I was hoping for no more than 10C increase and would not have been surprised with 15C. After all the Big Shuriken is only 58mm tall and the Dark Rock is 130mm.

Both tests were done with 100% fan speed. The Scythe is audible, but not excessively loud at 100%. I set it back to a curve and it is very quiet.

So I am incredibly pleased with the Big Shuriken, I know I can run my 8700k with no problem. It does look incredible out of place in the Ncase, but will look good in the MI-6.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonny727272

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
... So I am incredibly pleased with the Big Shuriken, I know I can run my 8700k with no problem. It does look incredible out of place in the Ncase, but will look good in the MI-6.

Don't sweat it.. Big Shuriken is known to trade blows with NH-L12. You can't go wrong with either one.

Edit: I believe the deciding factors will be price, availability, and motherboard / components layout

Reactions: Biowarejak

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Don't sweat it.. Big Shuriken is known to trade blows with NH-L12. You can't go wrong with either one.

Edit: I believe the deciding factors will be price, availability, and motherboard / components layout

Didn't have any problems with the motherboard, Gigabyte Z370N, Could have mounted it in any orientation without blocking anything. I am using Corsair Vengeance which is fairly low profile and had plenty of clearance.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
I am getting ready for my MI-6 build and did some preliminary CPU cooler testing today. I had been worried that I would not be able to sufficiently cool my 8700k with the available coolers.

First thing I did was delid. I have been running this CPU in my Ncase using a Be Quiet Dark Rock TF. If left in the Ncase I probably would not have bothered with the delid. Normal temps while gaming were mid 50C to low 60C which I am fine with. Testing a 5.0 GHz overclock at 1.35v I got single core temps as high as 87C. After the delid max single core temps were a full 20C lower and 15C lower at 1.25v.

I ended up going with the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev B, I really wanted the Noctua NH-L12 but lack of supply and super high prices decided for me (wish I had ordered before they discontinued them). At only $36 hard to pass up the Big Shuriken.

Before swapping coolers I ran stress test with no overclock, 4.3 GHz at 1.20v. Max single core temp with the Dark Rock was 55C. Now the shocker, max single core temp with the Big Shuriken was 62C. I was hoping for no more than 10C increase and would not have been surprised with 15C. After all the Big Shuriken is only 58mm tall and the Dark Rock is 130mm.

Both tests were done with 100% fan speed. The Scythe is audible, but not excessively loud at 100%. I set it back to a curve and it is very quiet.

So I am incredibly pleased with the Big Shuriken, I know I can run my 8700k with no problem. It does look incredible out of place in the Ncase, but will look good in the MI-6.

Great news on delid, and the Shuriken! What stress test did you use? I'd be curious how the 8700K behaved compared to the 6700K testing I did.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Great news on delid, and the Shuriken! What stress test did you use? I'd be curious how the 8700K behaved compared to the 6700K testing I did.

I used Intel Burn test, 30 mins. I don't like Prime95 because it is totally unrealistic of any load I will ever put on the CPU.

Edit: @firewolfy decided to do some Prime testing to give you a baseline. Ran Prime95 v26.6 Large FFT test for 30 mins. 75C was highest temp. Ambient 21C.

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
My trusty old Silverstone SST-ST60F-SG PSU (which is included with the SG08 case) has been making crackling noise irregularly since.. say 2 years ago. How often? Probably like.. 10 times in 2 years? Never loud enough, but you can hear it. Happens especially when I turn my PC on.

To be honest I'm a bit hesitant to put my Corsair SF450 in there because I'm too lazy to open my case, replace the PSU & built everything again only to do it again later on when my MI-6 arrives.

Sigh.. 26 Jan can't come soon enough.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
My trusty old Silverstone SST-ST60F-SG PSU (which is included with the SG08 case) has been making crackling noise irregularly since.. say 2 years ago. How often? Probably like.. 10 times in 2 years? Never loud enough, but you can hear it. Happens especially when I turn my PC on.

To be honest I'm a bit hesitant to put my Corsair SF450 in there because I'm too lazy to open my case, replace the PSU & built everything again only to do it again later on when my MI-6 arrives.

Sigh.. 26 Jan can't come soon enough.

You should be good for a month, or let's hope so.

I agree, Jan 26 can't come soon enough.

Reactions: ignsvn

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
You should be good for a month, or let's hope so.

I understand that a crackling PSU is a fire hazard, so I hope it'll last for about a month more.

Also, I don't think I can run case-less: the rig will be at the mercy of my toddler.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I understand that a crackling PSU is a fire hazard, so I hope it'll last for about a month more.

Also, I don't think I can run case-less: the rig will be at the mercy of my toddler.

No... if the PSU is failing get rid of it. This comes from two things: I had a PSU catch fire once and it caused a lot of damage. Second, I've seen what happens when risking it goes wrong. One of the saddest calls I was ever on.

Don't use that thing.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
No... if the PSU is failing get rid of it. This comes from two things: I had a PSU catch fire once and it caused a lot of damage. Second, I've seen what happens when risking it goes wrong. One of the saddest calls I was ever on.

Don't use that thing.

Thanks for the info. I guess laptop it is for me then, at least temporarily.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
I used Intel Burn test, 30 mins. I don't like Prime95 because it is totally unrealistic of any load I will ever put on the CPU.

Edit: @firewolfy decided to do some Prime testing to give you a baseline. Ran Prime95 v26.6 Large FFT test for 30 mins. 75C was highest temp. Ambient 21C.

Ok, so running torture test Prime95 and using a Shuriken 120mm CPU cooler:
  • 6700K (4 cores) max temp 68C.
  • 8700K (6 cores) max temp 75C.
Sweet!

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Would NH-L12S fit? looks like about 1mm over the limit

The NH-L12S is at 70mm, and the MI-6 has max room of 68mm. So it would cause a 2mm bulge in the cover. Granted 2mm isn't a lot, but it would be noticeable.

You would have to get creative, maybe swap out the 6.3mm MB standoffs with slightly shorter ones and somehow adjust the fit of the rear I/O shield.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Or grind/file the radiator fins 2-4 mm thinner :p

I was prepared to do that when i heard it only supports 65mm cpu cooler, since my NH-L12i is 66mm with single bottom fan. Luckily, turns out there's 68mm room :)

ChinStrap

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2017
Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 is OOS, everywhere.

Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4 listed as 65mm.

now to see if the NH-L9x65 will fit my ASRock X370 Gaming-ITX. :)

LeMoNH3aD

Average Stuffer
Oct 25, 2017

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I'm going to run a Cooler Master GeminII M5 and a Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 14 if fitment allows. If not, just going to run a Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM.

http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/geminii-m5-led/
http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=1906&page=1
https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a12x15-pwm

The Gemini should work fine, probably similar to the Big Shuriken, hope the 140mm Vortex performs well and is quiet. I know the Noctua is a good fan but I am hoping to avoid the dreaded "brown" fan. Wish they would make a Chromax version of the 12X15.

Reactions: LeMoNH3aD