Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
@firewolfy,

Will you keep some spares in case, say, the power switch is faulty after some time?

This is especially for those who order the case with front switch & IO (as the power switch is custom made).

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
@firewolfy,

Will you keep some spares in case, say, the power switch is faulty after some time?

This is especially for those who order the case with front switch & IO (as the power switch is custom made).

Yes. My thoughts exactly. Have to have spares to address any problems that might come up. If a problem crops up in a case, I will be able to send a new part.

The power switch and audio are std parts, but soldered to a custom pcb. To verify quality, I have been using the pre-production samples in my own rig, using the pwr, audio and USBs. I have had no issues and no problems aren't expected, but I will have spares ready.

Reactions: Biowarejak

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Yes. My thoughts exactly. Have to have spares to address any problems that might come up. If a problem crops up in a case, I will be able to send a new part.

The power switch and audio are std parts, but soldered to a custom pcb. To verify quality, I have been using the pre-production samples in my own rig, using the pwr, audio and USBs. I have had no issues and no problems aren't expected, but I will have spares ready.

Oh so it's the PCB that is custom..

I mean.. I never experienced faulty power switch in a PC case, but good to know there are some spares.

Reactions: Biowarejak

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Hey guys, I wanted to get you a status -- All is well and on track!

All the custom and long lead components that go into the MI-6 are on order and in process (aluminum chassis parts, PCIE riser, front I/O, power switch, case feet, nameplates, etc). The longest lead item that drives the schedule is the fabricated aluminum chassis parts, so that order went out first, of course. This week I'm working orders for all the fasteners, packaging and other small parts that have short lead times.

I had hoped this week to offer case owners with front I/O a way to customize the front power button: aftermarket buttons with different colors and materials through Shapeways. Not a big deal, just a way to accent the case your way. BUT, I haven't been totally happy with the standard button (not enough travel to ensure it always clicks), so I'm having Shapeways make a revised button. Should have more info next week on this.

Thanks

LeMoNH3aD

Average Stuffer
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the update. Accumulating all my parts, looking forward to a pretty epic build in your case!

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Hey all,
Received the batch of PCIE riser cables from Li-Heat, and spent last evening visually inspecting the solder joints, connectors and general workmanship. Cables look very good. Here is a snap of the inspections about halfway through.

Waiting for electrical test results from LI-Heat. I might go ahead and do an acceptance test on each one by connecting each to a PC and GPU.

Fire

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Hey all,
Received the batch of PCIE riser cables from Li-Heat, and spent last evening visually inspecting the solder joints, connectors and general workmanship. Cables look very good. Here is a snap of the inspections about halfway through.

Waiting for electrical test results from LI-Heat. I might go ahead and do an acceptance test on each one by connecting each to a PC and GPU.

Fire

Thanks for your hard work, appreciate it.

Btw what do you mean with "Waiting for electrical test results from Li-Heat"? I thought they already test it before they shipped it to you?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Thanks for the updates Fire, really looking forward to this build. You are right, the riser cables do look good.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Thanks for your hard work, appreciate it.

Btw what do you mean with "Waiting for electrical test results from Li-Heat"? I thought they already test it before they shipped it to you?

Lol, sorry, badly worded. I asked them to verify they completed electrical testing on the cables, and was waiting for their response.

--BTW, I just got verification, as I'm writing this, from them that all cables went thru electrical checks. Based on that, I reduced my test plan to pulling 5-10 random samples to perform electrical checks (connected to gpu and MB) as a lot acceptance test, as we say in the business.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Update

This week has been a holiday week for my fabricator, and for me, so not much to report. Hope everyone is having a good Christmas season. I'll have more to report next week.

Aftermarket front pushbuttons and bezels for those who ordered the case with front I/O are available here: SHAPEWAYS LINK
These are available in various colors and materials for personalization. Below are the standard colors.

Reactions: Jonny727272