Production cases: SLM1m/ SLM1 4L/ SLM2 5.7L by Custom_MOD

paullusty

Trash Compacter
Mar 22, 2017
noticed you added a new pic of the system, have you any pics of it filled?

also, the magnet idea sounds cool but maybe its a bit impractical? sure it'll look sleek but im assuming the magnets have to be fairly strong or the panel will fall off easily but at the same time it will make it a bit difficult to pull off with the flush edges.

stevey500

Trash Compacter
Feb 16, 2017
sure it'll look sleek but im assuming the magnets have to be fairly strong or the panel will fall off easily but at the same time it will make it a bit difficult to pull off with the flush edges.

That's what neodymium magnets and maybe some included suction cups are for ;) haha. This is how the 08-2010(I believe) imac front panels were built and method of disassembly.

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
Sorry, but you can't use SSD 2.5" in SLIM case. We did all measuring today. Only M.2. But we have a good news, we'll use magnets for mounting panels.

Is that a negative on SSDs in future batches as well, or just for the first production run(s)? Seems the space is there if the opening is shifted slightly higher and it would make the case much more versatile. The new render looks great!

sergiiua

The builder of unique cases ...
Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
noticed you added a new pic of the system, have you any pics of it filled?
Coming soon.

also, the magnet idea sounds cool but maybe its a bit impractical? sure it'll look sleek but im assuming the magnets have to be fairly strong or the panel will fall off easily but at the same time it will make it a bit difficult to pull off with the flush edges.
We'll test many magnets with different strength and will choose most practical option. I think 250-300g will be great.

Is that a negative on SSDs in future batches as well, or just for the first production run(s)? Seems the space is there if the opening is shifted slightly higher and it would make the case much more versatile. The new render looks great!

Maybe in the next batches (higher versions).

sergiiua

Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com

Reactions: y.dn.a

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Magnets + tabs works really well as a retention option. I've seen this done on the Oculus Touch battery door. The magnets hold the tabs for the door in place securely, but once you have applied enough force to start them sliding out of place the door lifts off easily. It also has the satisfying effect of self-aligning and self-closing when you place the parts back together.

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
I'm struggling to figure out how you've gotten this to 52mm thick with a 37mm cooler.

37mm CPU cooler
+ 3mm outer walls (1.5mm x 2)
+ 3.7mm CPU
+ 4.2-4.4mm CPU Socket
+ 1.57mm motherboard thickness
+ 5.5mm standoffs/clearance for rear mounted M2 SSD
54.97 to 55.17 mm

I couldn't find anything about clearance needed for rear brackets on CPU coolers, and only 1 mention of rear mounted M2 SSDs needing 5.5mm. The clearance underneath the motherboard would seem to be where you could shave some height off if the 5.5mm is inaccurate... but bringing it down to 2.5mm clearance doesn't seem like it'd be enough space. If you don't mind, could point out where I'm off and ease my mind a little?

paullusty

Trash Compacter
Mar 22, 2017
not sure if i should post this here but i am looking to build a machine in this case so i guess its is somewhat relevant.

I planning on going for a i7 7700k with the noctua cooler but with how small this case and cooler are, am i really going to get much out of an over clock? i know its will come partly down to the "silicon draw".
or would i be better off saving about £70 getting the 7700 and a non overclock board and save myself about £70

*i'll delete if necessary

Flexon2

What's an ITX?
Mar 27, 2017
not sure if i should post this here but i am looking to build a machine in this case so i guess its is somewhat relevant.

I planning on going for a i7 7700k with the noctua cooler but with how small this case and cooler are, am i really going to get much out of an over clock? i know its will come partly down to the "silicon draw".
or would i be better off saving about £70 getting the 7700 and a non overclock board and save myself about £70

Don't expect to do any overclocking with the low profile cooler that fits in this case. It's no better than the stock cooler, just smaller.

You could go for the non-K version if you want, but personally I would go for the K version, if only because it will be worth more if you decide to sell it later and it also comes with higher clocks out of the box than the non-K version.

Last edited:
Reactions: paullusty

sergiiua

Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com

I used 6700K (delidded, no OC) with Noctua L9i in our CustomMOD Mini case. Works great. ~70C under gaming.

Reactions: paullusty

paullusty

Trash Compacter
Mar 22, 2017
what temps were you getting before the delid?
i was debating on delidding it but to be honest, even with the delid tools etc, i don't feel very comfortable doing it.

hows the magnet prototyping going?

sergiiua

Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
what temps were you getting before the delid?
i was debating on delidding it but to be honest, even with the delid tools etc, i don't feel very comfortable doing it.

+7C

hows the magnet prototyping going?

We made some tests. Magnets works great. First case-prototype with magnets now in production.

Reactions: confusis

paullusty

Trash Compacter
Mar 22, 2017
just made an order and im looking to fill out the g-unique form now also.
do you have recommended lengths for the cables?

nxrUK

Trash Compacter
Mar 29, 2017
Due to the scarce availability right now of G-Unique PSU's, any chance of making a slightly larger version to fit a HDPlex 300W? Would make it a lot easier to get a PSU considering you have to wait a month and a half to get a G-Unique @sergiiua

sergiiua

Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
Due to the scarce availability right now of G-Unique PSU's, any chance of making a slightly larger version to fit a HDPlex 300W? Would make it a lot easier to get a PSU considering you have to wait a month and a half to get a G-Unique @sergiiua

It will be the new case. We need to do all over again. Draw new layout, make the prototype, test it, etc. Now we are heavy loaded and have no time. Maybe on May or June.
If your config is under 160W (65W CPU and 1050Ti), I recommend you PicoPSU-160-XT.
If not, sadly, but you need to wait a month and a half to get a G-Unique.

y.dn.a

Trash Compacter
Jan 29, 2017
It will be the new case. We need to do all over again. Draw new layout, make the prototype, test it, etc. Now we are heavy loaded and have no time. Maybe on May or June.
If your config is under 160W (65W CPU and 1050Ti), I recommend you PicoPSU-160-XT.
If not, sadly, but you need to wait a month and a half to get a G-Unique.
I thought the picopsu's don't fit because of the base unit height?!

y.dn.a

Trash Compacter
Jan 29, 2017
ok, ordered. i think i'll maintain my g-unique order too. but...i will use an g4560 with an msi 1060 aero. 54w+120w max., so maybe the picopsu will also be enough.