Production cases FX 4.2L / FX 4.9L by Custom_MOD

ubergeek801

Cable Smoosher
Nov 13, 2017
Using screws instead of rivets for the central bulkhead certainly makes it easier for those who are painting the case themselves :)

ubergeek801

Cable Smoosher
Nov 13, 2017
And speaking of painting...

ubergeek801

Cable Smoosher
Nov 13, 2017
This build isn't complete yet, as I don't have a CPU (holding out for Ryzen 2). But now that most of the bits are together, I can provide some impressions. (I would hesitate to call it a "review" because I don't really have anything to compare with.)

First of all, any paint defects that the eagle-eyed may notice are my own. I requested the case unpainted, although I ended up painting the chassis itself black anyway. If I were going to do it again, I would specify the standard black finish for the chassis, and handle the panels myself. (sergiiua did offer some paint colors, but since it's hard to predict what a color will finally look like from an Internet photo, I decided not to leave it to chance.)

Anyway, in terms of overall quality: If I hadn't known that this was a boutique-manufactured piece, I might not have guessed it. Everything seems to fit very well for the most part (the case was shipped assembled, so I did see it all together before I dismantled it for painting). A bunch of extra screws, zip ties, etc. are included, which is thoughtful. Nothing feels flimsy (I believe that all the sheet metal is 2mm), my fingers didn't notice any sharp edges, and all of the mounting holes are within expected tolerances for mounting components.

Speaking of components, I paired an MSI GTX 1070 Aero ITX graphics card with an Asus ROG STRIX B350-I Gaming motherboard. The fit is tight--particularly with the graphics card--but that's to be expected in a case a little over 4 liters, isn't it? Because the graphics card installation is fussier than the motherboard, I opted to do that first. I had to remove the rear bracket from the card to be able to clear the case edges during installation, but all can be reassembled in situ once the card is in position. It's also easier to connect the power and PCI connectors to the card before screwing everything down.

On the CPU side, the tale is not yet complete. The motherboard fit is snug (which, again, is the whole point), but once in place, there appears to be adequate space for the necessities (though these are yet to be installed). I have a Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 cooler ready to go, and I have seen at least one build pairing this heat sink with the larger (but still low-profile) NF-A12x15 fan, so I figured I would give this configuration a try. I'll report on that once the system is fully assembled.

There were just a few items to note, and they're really all just nitpicking. None of these would stop me from buying the case again:
  • On the underside of the case, the power supply mounting screw holes are not countersunk. They are slightly elongated, presumably to allow for slight differences among power supplies, and this probably precludes countersink machining. This means the screw heads sit proud of the case bottom rather than flush, but this is not a big deal once the feet are attached.
  • I ordered the case with a front-mounted 16mm power button. The hole for this appears to have been hand-drilled, as it is the one place that I found a rough edge. Not a big deal as this will be completely hidden by the installed button.
  • Despite the front-mounted button, there is still a 12mm hole in the stock location on the rear panel. I will merely populate it with a second button, which I will either leave as a dummy or perhaps connect it to the motherboard reset pins.
Again: really, really minor stuff.

To summarize, this is a very well-executed piece that I have no hesitations about recommending--and for a desktop, I think it's the ideal form factor. As long as sergiiua keeps building them, it's well worth the wait!

Reactions: Mtthwmths

sergiiua

The builder of unique cases ...
Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
This build isn't complete yet, as I don't have a CPU (holding out for Ryzen 2). But now that most of the bits are together, I can provide some impressions. (I would hesitate to call it a "review" because I don't really have anything to compare with.)

First of all, any paint defects that the eagle-eyed may notice are my own. I requested the case unpainted, although I ended up painting the chassis itself black anyway. If I were going to do it again, I would specify the standard black finish for the chassis, and handle the panels myself. (sergiiua did offer some paint colors, but since it's hard to predict what a color will finally look like from an Internet photo, I decided not to leave it to chance.)

Anyway, in terms of overall quality: If I hadn't known that this was a boutique-manufactured piece, I might not have guessed it. Everything seems to fit very well for the most part (the case was shipped assembled, so I did see it all together before I dismantled it for painting). A bunch of extra screws, zip ties, etc. are included, which is thoughtful. Nothing feels flimsy (I believe that all the sheet metal is 2mm), my fingers didn't notice any sharp edges, and all of the mounting holes are within expected tolerances for mounting components.

Speaking of components, I paired an MSI GTX 1070 Aero ITX graphics card with an Asus ROG STRIX B350-I Gaming motherboard. The fit is tight--particularly with the graphics card--but that's to be expected in a case a little over 4 liters, isn't it? Because the graphics card installation is fussier than the motherboard, I opted to do that first. I had to remove the rear bracket from the card to be able to clear the case edges during installation, but all can be reassembled in situ once the card is in position. It's also easier to connect the power and PCI connectors to the card before screwing everything down.

On the CPU side, the tale is not yet complete. The motherboard fit is snug (which, again, is the whole point), but once in place, there appears to be adequate space for the necessities (though these are yet to be installed). I have a Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 cooler ready to go, and I have seen at least one build pairing this heat sink with the larger (but still low-profile) NF-A12x15 fan, so I figured I would give this configuration a try. I'll report on that once the system is fully assembled.

There were just a few items to note, and they're really all just nitpicking. None of these would stop me from buying the case again:
  • On the underside of the case, the power supply mounting screw holes are not countersunk. They are slightly elongated, presumably to allow for slight differences among power supplies, and this probably precludes countersink machining. This means the screw heads sit proud of the case bottom rather than flush, but this is not a big deal once the feet are attached.
  • I ordered the case with a front-mounted 16mm power button. The hole for this appears to have been hand-drilled, as it is the one place that I found a rough edge. Not a big deal as this will be completely hidden by the installed button.
  • Despite the front-mounted button, there is still a 12mm hole in the stock location on the rear panel. I will merely populate it with a second button, which I will either leave as a dummy or perhaps connect it to the motherboard reset pins.
Again: really, really minor stuff.

To summarize, this is a very well-executed piece that I have no hesitations about recommending--and for a desktop, I think it's the ideal form factor. As long as sergiiua keeps building them, it's well worth the wait!
Many thanks for your opinion. For us it means a lot. We will continue to improve this case!

ubergeek801

Cable Smoosher
Nov 13, 2017
Comparing my batch 6 case with earlier versions, I'd say you've made great strides already. Thanks for making these available!

Mtthwmths

Trash Compacter
Jan 24, 2018
I've been reading philosophy essays this week and this gave me a chuckle (and terrible flashbacks to all that latin...)

Really great review you posted! I'm sure I'll need this advice if not more when I'm fitting my GPU. Makes me super excited to get my Mini, and inspired to write a detailed review once it's together! :cool:

Shoutout to sergiiua for making them available!

falafel

Case Bender
New User
Mar 30, 2018
I have been lurking on these forums dreaming of this kind of small PC, so I finally put my order form in today!

I ordered an interesting color, and I look forward to posting the results of my build on here!

I think my build will start small to save some money and I'll just upgrade as I go:

- Flex MINI 4.5L with the Seasonic modded PSU - I was tempted to look for something else on my own but given the tight fit, I figured it'd be best to just pick what is known to work
- AMD Ryzen 3 2200G
- Some compatible motherboard
- One stick of RAM
- Whatever HDD I have laying around

Then, I think, over time I'll add a 1070 (or maybe even a 1060 to save cash), Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB, and another stick of RAM.

Reactions: ubergeek801

sergiiua

Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
New cases are available. Sending out the next day! Delivery around the world is included in the price.
You can make a purchase through our order form "Cases available in stock Custom MOD".

Case in stock FLEX mini 5L special series
FOTO
Specs:
- Volume: 5L (225mm x 190mm x 117mm)
- Color: Black powder paint
- Front switch (16mm): Steel or Black
- PCIe riser: LiHeat 300mm D.type
---------------------------------------
- GPU: length <175mm, height <132mm (Giga 1080 Mini and MSI 1070 Aero ITX compatible)
- CPU Cooler: up to 49mm (CRYORIG C7 compatible)
- RAM: up to 52 mm
- Storage: M.2 and 2x2.5" SSD
- PSU: Flex ATX 1U Mini-ITX (Seasonic SSP-300SUG, FSP 400W, Athena Power 400W, FSP 500W Platinum etc)
- Price: sold out

Last edited:
Reactions: confusis

admiral_pola

Efficiency Noob
Jan 10, 2018
Just received my case!

Opened it up and I have to say, the quality is top notch.

I ordered with a window on the CPU side of the case and it's cleanly cut and the acrylic is very, very nice.

The paint is even and clean throughout and I see no obvious gaps in the panels and @sergiiua even included an power button for me.

Even though it was a long wait (purchased in January), I'm extremely happy and it was worth the wait.

Can't wait to build in it once I get my new CPU, mobo, and memory, and will purchase again from CustomMod in the future!

sergiiua

Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
Just received my case!

I ordered with a window on the CPU side of the case and it's cleanly cut and the acrylic is very, very nice.

The paint is even and clean throughout and I see no obvious gaps in the panels and @sergiiua even included an power button for me.

Even though it was a long wait (purchased in January), I'm extremely happy and it was worth the wait.

Can't wait to build in it once I get my new CPU, mobo, and memory, and will purchase again from CustomMod in the future!

Thanks for the nice words. And I'm sorry for the long wait.

Reactions: admiral_pola

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Just received my case!

Thanks for your impressions, it looks really nice. Please let us know if the I/O shield and everything else fits correctly when you build the PC, if the holes align etc. Would love to see pictures of your finished build. This is the 4.5L case, right?