Production cases FX 4.2L / FX 4.9L by Custom_MOD

drunkwaffle

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 29, 2018
So I finally received my case this week. Just got around to building it yesterday and playing around with it today. Unfortunately a few of the screw holes aren't perfectly aligned but the the paint or powder coat finish on it is excellent. Also I found it difficult getting the the GPU installed. First i was using the Gigabyte GTX 1070 mini. When I finally got it in I felt like the it wasn't sitting flush in the case, parallel to the motherboard mounting plate. I swapped the 1070 for a GTX 1080 mini pulled from a gigabyte aorus gaming box eGPU. I found the install a little more easy though the same problem of the GPU not sitting flush persisted. I ended up using a zip tie and looping around a heat pipe and the top of the case to pull it "in" so it sat flush. Unfortunately when I installed all the panels the GPU fan touched the side panel and wouldn't spin. And it was only the lower portion of the panel that did this. I just ended up bending out the lower portion of the gpu side panel a bit and the fan now spins freely. Funny enough after I bent the panel a bit, the screw holes aligned much better. Honestly idk if this has to do with some defect in the construction of my case or just the incompatibility of that particular graphics card and the case. However I believe I saw another post on this forum or another where someone else used the same GPU in the 3.99L version of this case.

Despite everything though, I find the fit and finish of this case acceptable especially as this is my travel system and built from some left over parts. And honestly I'm very happy with my case and the build despite my issues. My buddy at worked loved it when I brought it in and showed it off. Though the quality is no where near on par with my Dan Case a4 or nfc s4m, I am tempted to get the slightly bigger 6L case to replace my main build that I have in the Dan a4. Anyway my novel is done and now pics of my bad cable management and specs:

Intel i7-7700 w/ Noctua nh-l9i
Asrock z270 gaming-itx/ac
8gb cheap gskill DDR4-2400
1tb samsung 860 EVO m.2 ssd
GTX 1080 mini (from Aorus Gaming Box)
Enhance ENP-7660b 600w flex psu

Last edited:

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
How strong is the aluminum one vs the steel? Asking as someone who would put this in a backpack to carry on trips.

So I finally received my case this week. Just got around to building it yesterday and playing around with it today. Unfortunately a few of the screw holes aren't perfectly aligned but the the paint or powder coat finish on it is excellent. Also I found it difficult getting the the GPU installed. First i was using the Gigabyte GTX 1070 mini. When I finally got it in I felt like the it wasn't sitting flush in the case, parallel to the motherboard mounting plate. I swapped the 1070 for a GTX 1080 mini pulled from a gigabyte aorus gaming box eGPU. I found the install a little more easy though the same problem of the GPU not sitting flush persisted. I ended up using a zip tie and looping around a heat pipe and the top of the case to pull it "in" so it sat flush. Unfortunately when I installed all the panels the GPU fan touched the side panel and wouldn't spin. And it was only the lower portion of the panel that did this. I just ended up bending out the lower portion of the gpu side panel a bit and the fan now spins freely. Funny enough after I bent the panel a bit, the screw holes aligned much better. Honestly idk if this has to do with some defect in the construction of my case or just the incompatibility of that particular graphics card and the case. However I believe I saw another post on this forum or another where someone else used the same GPU in the 3.99L version of this case.

Despite everything though, I find the fit and finish of this case acceptable especially as this is my travel system and built from some left over parts. And honestly I'm very happy with my case and the build despite my issues. My buddy at worked loved it when I brought it in and showed it off. Though the quality is no where near on par with my Dan Case a4 or nfc s4m, I am tempted to get the slightly bigger 6L case to replace my main build that I have in the Dan a4. Anyway my novel is done and now pics of my bad cable management and specs:

As someone who has a sfx 6.7 and had a Dan v3, I ended up keeping the sfx :) . Dan’s case has the best possible quality I admit, but I still preferred the sfx. Mainly because the style and customizations @sergiiua does means most cases are distinct and can fit my personal taste better. I know he has had some complaints about certain builds but there is a large silent group you never hear from that are happy with his designs. I was glad to see you were able to make your case work and hope you continue to enjoy it.

Reactions: sergiiua

Nichronos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 22, 2018

Hello @drunkwaffle where did you buy the cute WiFi antennas you're using? Can you provide a link?
I really want to replace the large antenna that came with my motherboard.... Thanks!

Edit: i just bought this https://www.ebay.com/itm/142833030506
and hope its the same with an RP-SMA Male connector.

Last edited:

drunkwaffle

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 29, 2018
Hello @drunkwaffle where did you buy the cute WiFi antennas you're using? Can you provide a link?
I really want to replace the large antenna that came with my motherboard.... Thanks!

Edit: i just bought this https://www.ebay.com/itm/142833030506
and hope its the same with an RP-SMA Male connector.

Hey @Nichronos sorry for not getting back sooner. Actually the antennas you linked looks like a much better solution than what I used. What I did was use a combination of two different items that I could get shipped with Prime shipping: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XCMQ2GW/?tag=theminutiae-20 & https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071ZVTCX6/?tag=theminutiae-20.

As someone who has a sfx 6.7 and had a Dan v3, I ended up keeping the sfx :) . Dan’s case has the best possible quality I admit, but I still preferred the sfx. Mainly because the style and customizations @sergiiua does means most cases are distinct and can fit my personal taste better. I know he has had some complaints about certain builds but there is a large silent group you never hear from that are happy with his designs. I was glad to see you were able to make your case work and hope you continue to enjoy it.

I completely agree with you. Despite the negative tone of my post I'm quite happy with my build. And an aluminum 4.7 sounds really interesting, make an interesting case with a little extra room for better cooling.
I have the Dan V2 and while I love that case, the quality is amazing, there are issues and sacrifices I had to make especially when it comes to cooling. Speaking of which may I ask what components are you running in your sfx? I'm curious as to the cooling performance of the case.

Last edited:

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
Sure. Right now she’s empty as I’m waiting to build a new, secondary (and smaller budget) itx portable rig. But when it was my main rig, I had:

Asus 1080 Ti Turbo: it’s their version of a blower card. A bit loud for some and stayed in 80’s but manageable for me. I really like blower cards in these sff cases and think they do make a difference for the rest of the components temperatures.

8700k: this was delidded and using a cryorig c7 at stock clocks. Ran 60-70’s C when gaming. Would go way higher benchmarking but since I mostly game that was no big deal. However, I broke that chip ( read more here at https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/the-death-of-a-king-8700k.7585/) and ended up with an 8700t/Noctua l9i combo. Couldn’t tell a difference gaming wise, on boot up, or transferring files from drives. And even though the vent holes are bigger on the SFX than the A4, the cryorig was still a bit louder than the l9i. But with the T chip, the extra cooling potential was wasted and I was happy to change back to the Noctua. Was very happy with it.

Asus z370-I and 32gb G Skill ram

Samsung m.2 500gb 950 pro and Samsung 2.5” 4tb 850 Evo. Pricey and honestly, wasn’t really worth it. Only good thing is that they are both rated up to 70C+ versus most hdd limits at 50C operational temps.

Corsair sf600 with Corsair premium cables.

Last edited:

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
I know its in german but still...tought I share my currently ongoing project around the FX 4.7L and whats possible inside! :)
Just an unboxing and some rumble bumble around what Hardware I am going to use!
Maybe some of you find it interesting to watch...and by the way @sergiiua: YOU DID AN AMAZING JOB WITH THIS ONE! <3

All the Hardware shown in the Video is confirmed to work inside the case! ;) Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: sergiiua

nextpc

Average Stuffer
Jul 12, 2016
Hi There @surgiiua

I'm not sure if I can post here, but seems like your more active here so here it goes.

I'm interested in ordering a Customod Mini 3.2L or 3.9L.

Questions:

1) Is the 3.2L Mini still available for order ?
If yes, where can I order it?
Or has it changed to 3.9L?

2) The 3.9L mini has bright Green internal motherboard tray. I really Like it.
Is this what I will receive when I order the Customod Mini in Black?

3) The website says, "Cases under the order until April 19th".
Does this mean that the Cut off for orders is April 19th and the items will ship out on June 10th?

4) If the Customod Mini is ordered WITHOUT a usb 3.0, does the front Panel still have a hole?

Regards

basey

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 16, 2019
Was wondering if anyone else that has purchased a case from Custom Mod has struggled with the payment system. I was expecting to just pay via credit card on the website, but there is no option to. Instead, I received an email asking to send money via WebMoney. I have tried but am struggling to work it out, can't add any funds to the virtual wallet due to security reasons.

Would really appreciate a more streamlined payment system from Custom Mod in the future.

Is anyone able to help out?

basey

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 16, 2019
I thought so too, but there’s no option for PayPal.

Edit: just wanted to add for anyone concerned about ordering that the custom mod team ended up sending their PayPal info, making the process super simple.

Last edited:
Reactions: cleveland

nextpc

Average Stuffer
Jul 12, 2016
@surgiiua
Deadline for ordering the Mini 3.9L is nearing.
Hope you can answer those questions above so I can order.