Advice Case making/modding using aluminium extrusions?

Lilbertz

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 10, 2020
This is inspired by those DIY aluminium test benches and the Geek (Specifically, the A30) SFF case. I want to make a SFF case using those aluminium extrusions. I have a design in my mind but I don’t know how can I do it or what are the tools/parts I should have.
What I also want to do is to mod(like adding some more extrusions) the test bench that also use an aluminium extrusion.

And the design in my mind is like those tempered glass or mesh front PC cases but in a SFF case scale.
Nearest example is like putting 2x 120 mm or 140mm fans at the front of a PK39 or Velka 3. the case's width is almost like the fan's size but the height and length are the same. K39's dimensions are 220x180x100 mm(if im correct) but instead of 100 mm, it will be 120mm to accommodate a 120 mm fan and 240 mm to accomodate 2x 120mm fans stacked to each other and because of that, the height would be 240 mm instead of 220 mm(of course there is some allowance on everything oso the fans will fit but I dont know how much yet). The layout inside is pretty much the same as those sub-5 liter SFF cases(like the the cases I mentioned earlier) where the motherboard and the graphics card is placed back to each other. What I see here is that with the 120 mm width, I could adjust the the CPU cooler height so it could accomodate a Wraith stealth cooler without removing its shroud and any CPU cooler near its height. There is no room for top fans as the fans are now at the front and ITX motherboards only 2 or 1 spare fan headers plus, I won't be adding a fan controller in it as it might have no space but I could be wrong.
The PSU will but either a FLEX PSU, a Pico PSU or HDPLEX, or a SFX PSU(I doubt there will be room for the SFX PSU but if the
The GPU length will depend on me. I am a causal gamer like I don't AAA games because I don't have any hardware to play that and I don't have money for making a PC just to run those games so I think the 180 mm length is enough for me since I could put a 1650 Super in it.

Any tips?

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 18, 2017
To get up the learning curve quickly, I suggest that you purchase a GEEEK A31 V2 MINI-ITX case in that it is very inexpensive and would give you all of the case parts for one system.

With your hands on the parts and if you assemble the system you will quickly see what is what. You could mod the GEEEK parts as you wish.

Neil

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 8, 2018
I actually recently undertook the task of creating a case from aluminum extrusions myself. Here is my thread

My recommendations are to mock something up first (like I did with the cheap aluminum angle bars) and then go from there. If you have extra working PC parts, that would be ideal, so that you don't have your main computer down all the time while working on fitment and getting things together. I have made a little more progress on a couple of things (just haven't taken pictures and posted them) but still working on what to do for extra inputs/side panels, so I am working with pretty much what is pictured in the thread.

You can even copy my setup if you want as it sounds like you want to do something similar to what I did, I have no qualms with that. Any questions, just let me know.

Reactions: Lilbertz

Lilbertz

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 10, 2020
To get up the learning curve quickly, I suggest that you purchase a GEEEK A31 V2 MINI-ITX case in that it is very inexpensive and would give you all of the case parts for one system.

With your hands on the parts and if you assemble the system you will quickly see what is what. You could mod the GEEEK parts as you wish.

Neil
I also want to know what mounting part are used in that case so if could DIY.

Lilbertz

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 10, 2020
I actually recently undertook the task of creating a case from aluminum extrusions myself. Here is my thread

My recommendations are to mock something up first (like I did with the cheap aluminum angle bars) and then go from there. If you have extra working PC parts, that would be ideal, so that you don't have your main computer down all the time while working on fitment and getting things together. I have made a little more progress on a couple of things (just haven't taken pictures and posted them) but still working on what to do for extra inputs/side panels, so I am working with pretty much what is pictured in the thread.

You can even copy my setup if you want as it sounds like you want to do something similar to what I did, I have no qualms with that. Any questions, just let me know.
Cool! I want to know what part did you use to join all of the together and what type of scews did you use in the project.
EDIT: What is the dimensions of your DIY case you made(the link you gave)?

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 8, 2018
Cool! I want to know what part did you use to join all of the together and what type of scews did you use in the project.
EDIT: What is the dimensions of your DIY case you made(the link you gave)?

I bought a makerbeam kit off of amazon. It comes with all the beams, screws, nuts, etc. In addition to the kit, I got the cubes and some T nuts. I also 3D printed some parts. The dimensions right now are 200 mm deep by 240 mm high by 145 mm wide. This doesn't include feet or panels yet. Total volume as it sits is at just under 7 liters but will be a little bit more with panels and feet.

Here are the links to the stuff on amazon:
T slot nuts: Cubes: Makerbeam kit:

Reactions: rfarmer

Lilbertz

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jun 10, 2020
I bought a makerbeam kit off of amazon. It comes with all the beams, screws, nuts, etc. In addition to the kit, I got the cubes and some T nuts. I also 3D printed some parts. The dimensions right now are 200 mm deep by 240 mm high by 145 mm wide. This doesn't include feet or panels yet. Total volume as it sits is at just under 7 liters but will be a little bit more with panels and feet.

Here are the links to the stuff on amazon:
T slot nuts: Cubes: Makerbeam kit:
it is ok, i just need the frame for now. Thanks!