Case fan whining under mobo

byteaffs

Case Bender
Original poster
Aug 18, 2019
Hi guys, recent v4 owner and I love the case! I have set up a fan under the mobo as an intake to flow some air over the VRM as I am using the 645LT (probably overkill for a Ryzen 3600, might swap to an L9A). The problem is the fan makes a horrific noise :( It definitely seems to only happen when it is in that position and nothing is hitting on the fan blades. I am a bit concerned about removing it and having no flow over the board, so not really sure what to do. I have tried lowering the rpm with noise adapters that noctua provide but once it gets down enough to not be annoying there is hardly any airflow. Any ideas? Maybe there is another fan to try? Thanks!

byteaffs

Case Bender
Original poster
Aug 18, 2019
Would that make a difference in the noise? It will still be pressed against the case so not sure

Hellow

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 7, 2019
I had the same problem. It's like the engine of the fan comes out a little of its axis so the blades touch the case.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Will that work fine with the radiator fan for the Asetek still set to intake?

If the fan is right next to the case (under the radiator) and configured to intake, then there will be turbulence, but if it's on a top of the radiator and configured to intake, then you'll be fine.

deadline

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 9, 2018
If the fan is right next to the case (under the radiator) and configured to intake, then there will be turbulence, but if it's on a top of the radiator and configured to intake, then you'll be fine.

G-d, i really need to formulate myself better. The radiator fan in my Dan A4 will be set to intake, as it gives the superiour cooling in my case (sorry for the terrible pun). But, can I set the fan under mobo in the opposite direction (output) still, in order to avoid turbulence? I know that chimney effect is near non existent in such a small case, but stilll. Thanks for replying, and I really love your case!

Reactions: riba2233

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
G-d, i really need to formulate myself better. The radiator fan in my Dan A4 will be set to intake, as it gives the superiour cooling in my case (sorry for the terrible pun). But, can I set the fan under mobo in the opposite direction (output) still, in order to avoid turbulence? I know that chimney effect is near non existent in such a small case, but stilll. Thanks for replying, and I really love your case!

Ok I get it :)

That would work noise-wise, but could potentially recycle hot air. Although not too much since the case fan will only be cooling VRM and RAM which don't produce much heat.

Thank you for the compliment! :)