GPU Can't lock my GPU Temperature using MSI Afterburner?

Knoxtane

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 15, 2020
Hey all! I do some minor hobby work/light gaming with my "brand new" AMD Radeon Pro WX4100 I got off Ebay for $50, as my RTX A2000 was giving me minor issues that I'm working on. The card is about 3 months old according to the seller and I did my best to inspect the card for anything suspicious. I couldn't find anything physically wrong with the card. So from there we are fine. Anyways, what I'm getting at is I'm trying to Temp lock my WX4100 to 76 degrees in MSI Afterburner but everytime I adjust the slider and hit "Apply" in MSI Afterburner the slider will go back to the default(?) 95 degrees. Now I have put the card through some real world stress testing, playing War Thunder on a mix of High/Max and StarCraft II on High/Medium with some lower end games that sip power from the card and have temps stable around 68-73. (In the lower end titles)

So, I guess what I'm asking is if I'm doing wrong? MSI Afterburner has full Admin rights, I am the only local account on my PC and I even force ran MSI Afterburner to Run As Administrator and still that slider resets to 95 Degrees Celsius. Could it be that the Workstations' Card VBIOS is just set for it to be able to "Run" at a 95 Degree temperature?

BEFORE I HIT "APPLY" AFTER MOVING THE SLIDER TO 76 DEGREES

AFTER I HIT "APPLY" AFTER MOVING THE SLIDER TO 76 DEGREES IT DEFAULTS TO 95

I also apologize if this post is in the incorrect forum category/section.

Thanks, Knoxtane.

RAAM

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 24, 2024
I will have to check out that screen on AB, I use the regular one and no lock I know of available. That said did you save the profile and hit the windows button to make it boot up in the profile selected and saved?

My bad, just took another look, it does have a limit, I just never set it before. Since tied to power limit which on my version of the 4070 is set to 100 I just leave it alone.

I hope I offered something of use to you besides just blabber.