Cancelled! AsRock x370 Gaming itx build

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
Edit: Long story short. My x370 gaming itx ac died and early death. I have RMA'd it for a refund , thanks Newegg, and picked up the AsRock x370 Taichi.
Ultimately I wanted the r7 1700 to overlock so... @Aibohphobia looks like another Cerberus X customer waiting! Any more news on that front?!

Starting a thread for my building experiences, observations and discussion. In a post on the main thread for this board I described my concerns with the chipset heatsink being very hot to the touch and even went so far as to set up an RMA to swap it for a new one. More to follow.

Early Pics

Thanks!

Last edited:

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
Messing with some overclocking. Bigger cooler needed! Happy to see the need though! This is a post shot and NOT stress tested. So stability to be determined.

Thoughts on those insanely high MOBO temps anyone? @ASRock System ? It is showing over 115 no matter what I set in bios. Chalking it up as a misread by HWinfo as that is not realistic but the chip-set heat sink fails the 'ole' touch test ;) . like you can't keep your finger on it for long. Bios shows 45C or so which is closer to what HWinfo calls Auxiliary.

Currently at 1.35 cpu. 1.35 ram set in bios for this screen shot. 1.00 SOC achieved by setting a -70 offset... This board is handing out the voltage it seems by default.

After seeing this potential the plan is to keep this going in this chassis and use the room for a larger cooler and a GPU upgrade.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
motherboard temp at +100°C...
Be careful..:D

Aim 3.7Ghz @1.25v vcore as standard OC I guess

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
I think those values are read wrong by the software, unless you can boil water on the chipset heatsink.

I think so too. The bios shows two temps. CPU and Motherboard. Both of which seem to line up with Hwinfo CPU and Auxiliary. These 100+ temps are there at stock volts and clocks as well.

However the Asrock branded heat sink on the x370 chip is really hot to the touch. Im ordering an IR temp gun from Amazon to get a better estimate.

I have an RMA also and can swap the board if it seems like it's faulty.

If anyone else in the Forum gets this board in I would love to see what you find regarding this.

Is it may be you got a bad unit or all asrock x370/ab350 boards have high temps?...

My question exactly!

motherboard temp at +100°C...
Be careful..:D

Aim 3.7Ghz @1.25v vcore as standard OC I guess

I will give this a shot tonight and see what , if anything, changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Biowarejak

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
Some more shots of chasing the hot heat sink for fun and peace of mind. CPU has been set back to stock settings in BIOS and ram is happy at XMP timings but 2933 instead of the rated 3200 kit. Ambient is about 22C here in my Man Cave.

Hanging out at the desktop for about 20 mins or so the rogue heat sink settles at about 50C. I assume +/- 2-4 for the "affordability" of the IR unit.

HWinfo /CPUz shot at these settings.

CPUz stress test on the CPU for 10 mins at these settings.

During the stress test the max temp I saw on my IR gun pointed at the x370 chip sink was 63.4C.

Early conclusions?

No matter where I shot the board with the IR gun I could not get anything remotely near 100C or more like the HWinfo numbers. But if the chip under the sink is that hot.. I can't hit that so.. ?

Ultimately I do not think my board is bad or running as crazy hot as HWinfo shows in some of those readings. However, in a smaller enclosure (S4 mini or custom mod mini or the like) that little toasty sink may be raising ambient temps a lot. It throws off some heat. You know , like it should. XD

HWinfo is nice but any 3rd party tool and ANY software reporting can be off or even way off. They do update it often and this board is new.
The IR gun is fun to play with and also an approximation I suppose but useful for sure. I feel better already.
How hot is the dang chip under the sink really? Inquiring minds want to know.
Putting your finger on a 63C/145F piece of metal stings a little.

Once Windows and assorted software was set up this system has only locked up once. That was when I couldn't resist trying to run CB at 3900 cpu and 1.35v core. It almost made it through. Also it only crashed CB and not the entire machine. I really don't have the CPU cooling set up to be pushing that though. Thinking of cramming a Noctua C14S in here if possible.

Cheers!

Last edited:

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
As promised I set 3.7 cpu and 1.275v per our Ryzen Master @MarcParis .

Nice results. I will try 1.25v as he suggested soon. I wanted to start a little heavy and walk it down some.
So far stable for a few hours doing various tasks and some benches.
All for now. Work in AM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Some more shots of chasing the hot heat sink for fun and peace of mind. CPU has been set back to stock settings in BIOS and ram is happy at XMP timings but 2933 instead of the rated 3200 kit. Ambient is about 22C here in my Man Cave.

Hanging out at the desktop for about 20 mins or so the rogue heat sink settles at about 50C. I assume +/- 2-4 for the "affordability" of the IR unit.
Emissivity can also play a factor for IR thermometers: http://www.optotherm.com/emiss-table.htm
For metals, it's often when it's shiny/polished that it throws of IR thermometers and you'd best use contact thermometers.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Nice feedback! I'm glad to see my suggested oc worked fine..:) it's a good start..:)

In fact for vrm temperature, you need to take measure point from back of mb...:)

Reactions: TheHig

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
@TheHig If interested, you can submit that score for the Smallformfactor.net HWBot team for a chance to win a free SuperPosition benchmark key. (details here)

Reading above makes me want to spend more time with my wife's Ryzen rig. At the moment her 1700x requires 1.4v (and nothing less) for 24/7 stability at 3.8Ghz. Under the Cryorig m9a, the temps never go above 66c under normal loads (i.e. Star Citizen max settings 3440x1440). We can get it to peak at 80c during stress testing though (temperture readings were collected using Ryzen Master).

The motherboard is the b350 mATX MSI Arctic Mortar. I'll see if it can handle 4.0GHz stable, I will update this post later with my findings.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
For info, i've looked at hwinfo64 on my asus c6h.
First you have a clear item called VRM, and in my case, it was only reaching up to 67°c under gaming load (mass effect andromeda)

What i truly like with hwinfo that you can monitor everything with riva tuner. Thus i have added r7 1700x die temperature, power used, gtx 1080ti power us and vrm temperature..:)

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
Emissivity can also play a factor for IR thermometers: http://www.optotherm.com/emiss-table.htm
For metals, it's often when it's shiny/polished that it throws of IR thermometers and you'd best use contact thermometers.

I may look into that to get some more accurate readings. Ty

Nice feedback! I'm glad to see my suggested oc worked fine..:) it's a good start..:)

In fact for vrm temperature, you need to take measure point from back of mb...:)

See bench below. 1.25vcore/3700 cpu/3200 memory at XMP/ -70 offset to SOC so small under volt there too. So far its running solid this evening.

Shot the back of the MOBO at VRM and directly behind the x370 chip and VRM at the back of the mobo was mid 40s and x370 backside never topped 56.

@TheHig If interested, you can submit that score for the Smallformfactor.net HWBot team for a chance to win a free SuperPosition benchmark key. (details here)

Reading above makes me want to spend more time with my wife's Ryzen rig. At the moment her 1700x requires 1.4v (and nothing less) for 24/7 stability at 3.8Ghz. Under the Cryorig m9a, the temps never go above 66c under normal loads (i.e. Star Citizen max settings 3440x1440). We can get it to peak at 80c during stress testing though (temperture readings were collected using Ryzen Master).

The motherboard is the b350 mATX MSI Arctic Mortar. I'll see if it can handle 4.0GHz stable, I will update this post later with my findings.

Submitted a CB score but not my best one since I had a 3.8 run on my Mortar. I also could not get 3.9 stable on my Mortar no matter what I set in bios. It would hold 3.8 at 1.375 all day though. Silicone lottery is my guess. Board was very solid overall for me otherwise.
Would love to see what you can squeeze out of yours.
I need to reinstall Star Citizen now that this box is running. However, I may wait until the 1050ti gets an upgrade. Also, I am absolutely terrible at flying in that game! I was waaay better at Xwing vs Tie Fighter back in the day. Now THAT game needs a modern reboot. So much fun at Lans.

Anodized aluminum is fine to measure with IR, the aluminum oxide layer has a high emissivity value.

Ty for the info as well. I love the wealth of knowledge around here.

For tonight I spent some time dialing in the sweet spot with some voltage shaving and 3.7 all core OC:

Last edited:

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
TheHig said:
I also could not get 3.9 stable on my Mortar no matter what I set in bios.

Yeah, same issue on her Mortar.
I can get it to boot to Windows successfully at 3.9GHz but even at 1.425v, it's not even close to being stable enough to run Cinebench (not willing to push voltage further on air).
The computer boot loops at 4.0GHz.