Can i fit a 1050ti in my case?i MUST do it!

Staxtis

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
Hello there!!
Nice to find this great community.Actually i never thought there was a small factor dedicated community:D.
So i need your help..
I have the Streacom FC8 Alpha ( http://www.streacom.com/products/fc8-alpha-fanless-chassis/ ) case and i want to put the best gpu i can
The worst gpu i can get is 1050ti but i cant go lower..But there are several problems..
1st of all i pick the Palit 1050ti kalmX because is the only 1050ti with passive cooling..Besides the card is 2slot high as you can see..
https://tpucdn.com/reviews/Palit/GeForce_GTX_1050_Ti_KalmX/images/small.png
i thought that i can cut the "grill" of one slot and put it in my pc...BUT my thoughts sink after i saw that it is 142mm depth and i can only get 80mm..and also it is thicker than i can get...26mm thick.SO unfortunately i have forget this card:(..
Then i found the Inno3D 1 slot 1050ti but besides it is small in thickness and with 1 slot it has 98mm depth so i cant go for it as well...(depth must be maximum 80 SHARP)
Is there ANYWAY to get a 1050ti or higher?ANYWAY???can i buy a low profile 1050ticard and then buy some "kit" or something and make it up to 30mmthick with passive cooling??atleast if passive cooling is not able with fans....
I just want to fit in my case a 1050ti or a 1060 NOMATTER WHAT!!!..But i dont want to change pc case:D
Thank you very much cant wait for your reply.
Cheers!

PS:i have EXACT 25mm from THE CENTER of the slot that card fit(so the card cant be more than 24 if it passive..if it is with fans must be thinner in order to have some air flow..If the card is bigger on the other side(up side i dont care) the dowside were the cooling is the problem...i am telling this because maybe a card that is 30mm for example when you fit it in the slot it is going 25 under and 5mm up...!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2017
Do you have any 3.5" drives, 2.5" drives, optical drives? If you only have 1 or 2 2.5" drives and none of the other two, you can put the storage drives where the expansion slot is and use a riser to put a full height card where the storage used to mount. Obviously you'll need some custom brackets.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Staxtis

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
Do you have any 3.5" drives, 2.5" drives, optical drives? If you only have 1 or 2 2.5" drives and none of the other two, you can put the storage drives where the expansion slot is and use a riser to put a full height card where the storage used to mount. Obviously you'll need some custom brackets.
1st of all thank you for your reply.
I dot have 3.5 drives 2.25 but i will put an optical slim..But where the drives are i got no problem.They dont bother at all
There is no way to go bigger than the dimension i wrote(240mmX80mmX25mm). i will post a photo to understand a bit better..
https://ibb.co/mvg1rk
So now as you can see i dont have anything that will bother the gpu...The only thing that limit the 80mm or 25mm is the " Γ " panel that closes the case.So that is not possible...But we MUST find something

Last edited:

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Is there any space left between the motherboard and the passive radiator on the side? I had the non-passive version and managed to fit a double slot low profile gpu by offsetting the motherboard to the side. I'm not sire if it's possible with the passive version though.

Staxtis

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
Is there any space left between the motherboard and the passive radiator on the side? I had the non-passive version and managed to fit a double slot low profile gpu by offsetting the motherboard to the side. I'm not sire if it's possible with the passive version though.

So i am not sure of what do you mean... but you can see what you ask in the picture i have above???Open the link:/
The problem isnt the 2 slots i can manage this...but the dimensions of the vga...what is the dimensions of this vga you show in the pic?80mm?if yes..thats the maximun...but most of the vga 1050ti and above ara bigger than that...and when you find some low profile that are 65-80mm then the thickness of the vga is 35-40mm and it can only fit 20(according the Streacom and i measure it my self and i see its 25mm.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
You might need to understand the standard sizes of gpu's first:

- Single or dual slot = what you call the thickness. Single slot is about 20mm wide, dual slot is about 40mm wide. There are no standard 'in between' sizes.
- A low profile or half height card is what I show in the picture. It has a height of 69mm.

There's a couple of dual slot, low profile 1050ti's that could be your best best without heavy modding. But like you say, your case has only room for a single slot gpu. So either the gpu needs to be smaller, or you have to move the motherboard to allow more room for the gpu. That's where my previous question comes in. I'll mark it in your picture:

But like I said, I'm not sure if there's enough room to move the motherboard up by at least 20mm.

Maybe @aquelito could shed some light on how he modded his Streacom case. I think he managed to fit a standard height dual slot gpu in his case.

Staxtis

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
You might need to understand the standard sizes of gpu's first:

- Single or dual slot = what you call the thickness. Single slot is about 20mm wide, dual slot is about 40mm wide. There are no standard 'in between' sizes.
- A low profile or half height card is what I show in the picture. It has a height of 69mm.

There's a couple of dual slot, low profile 1050ti's that could be your best best without heavy modding. But like you say, your case has only room for a single slot gpu. So either the gpu needs to be smaller, or you have to move the motherboard to allow more room for the gpu. That's where my previous question comes in. I'll mark it in your picture:

But like I said, I'm not sure if there's enough room to move the motherboard up by at least 20mm.

Maybe @aquelito could shed some light on how he modded his Streacom case. I think he managed to fit a standard height dual slot gpu in his case.

Robbee you were clear enough now...
So!
1st.i said that i dont care about the slots because for example the pali1050ti kalmX got dual slot but you can cut easy the one slot because there is nothing there(output etc) but its "thick" and all the other as well so probably as you consider as a fact(probably it is but i just dont know it)is that ALL the dual slot cards are atleast 35mm thick.
The low profile vga you mention yes are good with 69mm BUT in thickness with the fans are 35mm++ :D

2.There is room to move my motherboard (as i can remember because i am not at home right now) BUT how will i have the outputs from behind?:?

3.The sad fact is also something that i dont know how crucial it is...Can i put a vga with fan in a fanless case??where is the airflow?All the case is "shield" there are no holes or something for airflow..If NOT...i must find a solution ONLY with passive cooling vga like Palit 1050ti kalmX or any other passive vga(i didnt found something else with passice either 1050 or 1060)

Thank you once again you were really instractive.

PS:Excuse me for my english since its not my mother language as you already understand i guess:D!

Cheers!

Last edited:

Staxtis

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
I more thing that i thought...would it be possible to make it with waterblocks???since they are smaller..and i can put the fan-tank etc on the side...
Would it be that a solution???

Reactions: SeñorDonut
Mar 6, 2017
I more thing that i thought...would it be possible to make it with waterblocks???since they are smaller..and i can put the fan-tank etc on the side...
Would it be that a solution???

Not sure how you'd do that if you wanted to keep it fanless

Staxtis

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
Not sure how you'd do that if you wanted to keep it fanless
I want to keep it fanless but as i can see this is 100% impossible because just to understand there isnt even a gpu card with fans taht i can fit in...and the only passive 1050ti is the Palit kalmX which is huge...If there is a company that can make a custom passive cooling this is something more than good..
If any of you find me a fanless solution that would be even better...
But because i must find a solution to fit a 1050ti or 1060 inside my case i can ignore the fan factor and buy some silent 1-2 fan in order to cool the water.
The other problem is..how big should be the tank-pump etc and if they can fit in the side of the case (i think that is possible(hope because i dont know about water cooling)) and the second problem is how can a find a company to make for me a custom waterblock?:/

I am here to find a solution without change a case and fit a gpu inside...fans are something that i would prefer NOT to have but ithis is my single and only solution i can take it.

Please all of you i know that you dont even know me or even saw a word of mine but please figure out how can i fit this f*** vga inside my case:D
You are for sure more experienced than i am thats why i am asking your help..i cant find a solution by my self..

Thank you very much..ALL OF YOU!
Cheers

Mar 6, 2017
You can get any card with fans, just remove the thermal solution and bolt some heatpipes to it to use the case as the heatsink. That's actually what it was designed for as far as I can tell.

Staxtis

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
You can get any card with fans, just remove the thermal solution and bolt some heatpipes to it to use the case as the heatsink. That's actually what it was designed for as far as I can tell.
Mate that is not possible...
1.How i will put heatpipes on the vga without anymount-bracket?(this is actually the one and only i can do..
2.As you can see from the specs of the case +my photo the vga is at the bottom of the case where the case is open...The only side that i can mount heatpipes is upper of where i have the heatpipes from the cpu...and there is no more space for another heatpipes + it is impossible to mount the heatpipes on that direction as you can probably understand..There is no way to do that.
3.You say to take AN card with fans...i STILL have to do some mod because there ISNT ANY 1050ti LOW PROFILE+single slot....

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016

As I did not want to mod the case, I did a dirty job based on a 3M riser routed under the motherboard !
The idea was to use the "free" space behind the mobo.

However :

- I could do so because I used a 750 Ti with a PEG connector. I wouldn't rely solely on the riser to provide the 75W a 1050 Ti would need.
- I ended up drilling en extra set of holes on the panel side (right side on the picture) to bring fresh air to the GPU. This won't be possible in your case.

If you are willing to mod your case, you could use a PCB inward riser and drill the rear of the case.

I never completed this mod because the Streacom F8C / F7C design is not really GPU-friendly, due to its lack of ventilation.

Instead, I'm using this mCubed case which is smaller and much more GPU-friendly.
Its design allows me to run a 1050 Ti passively :)

http://www.fanlesstech.com/2017/05/unique-build-on-cheap.html

Mar 6, 2017
Mate that is not possible...
1.How i will put heatpipes on the vga without anymount-bracket?(this is actually the one and only i can do..
2.As you can see from the specs of the case +my photo the vga is at the bottom of the case where the case is open...The only side that i can mount heatpipes is upper of where i have the heatpipes from the cpu...and there is no more space for another heatpipes + it is impossible to mount the heatpipes on that direction as you can probably understand..There is no way to do that.
3.You say to take AN card with fans...i STILL have to do some mod because there ISNT ANY 1050ti LOW PROFILE+single slot....

1. I never said you couldn't use a bracket.

2. My bad, I thought the case had heatsink on both sides.

3. If you have a card like this

you can cut off or desolder the DVI port and remove or relocate the thermal solution (fans and heatsink).

You could then run thermal pipes, with a bracket and relocate the heatsink, with or without fans, to here (you may need right angle USB front panel connectors)

You also may be able to put a heatsink outside the case, but that would increase its volume

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
With a decent amount of modding I don't see why you couldn't make yourself a passive cooler for a low profile 1050ti. The MSI model shown above actually has a second revision that makes it shorter, and the 750ti version (which I own) can have its shroud and fans removed with ease. That leaves you with desoldering the dvi connection (or cutting it), and then simply undervolting the card to prevent from getting *too* hot

-edit-

You could even mod your case, use a powered (not strictly necessary but probably more ideal) riser, and use the palit card vertically in the case.

Staxtis

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
With a decent amount of modding I don't see why you couldn't make yourself a passive cooler for a low profile 1050ti. The MSI model shown above actually has a second revision that makes it shorter, and the 750ti version (which I own) can have its shroud and fans removed with ease. That leaves you with desoldering the dvi connection (or cutting it), and then simply undervolting the card to prevent from getting *too* hot

-edit-

You could even mod your case, use a powered (not strictly necessary but probably more ideal) riser, and use the palit card vertically in the case.

I have a lot of time-amount to spend for that problem i have...But how i supposed to do a passive cooler for a 1050ti thinner than 29mm?And how i can even make a passive cooling my self?Can you help me out with that?
I know that msi got dual slot as the gigabyte has to(but is shorter in length)...but there is no Low profile single slot vga otherwise i wouldnt have to do any mod.:D..
Yes i am planning to cut the dvi or "remove" it with anyway..If i do that i have to undervolt the vga??Or you are telling to undervolt it anyway???

Riser was an option as well thats why i make an "identical" sample of the card in order to simulated in the case..
The palit with passive is WWWAY to big...

So do you think that it is possible to modify the aircooling system of msi or gigabyte 1050ti and make it passive with under...

80X230X29mm????

If yes please advice me and i will start right now...and i will do it asap...That would be the BEST scenario !!!!

Being honest the last 4 days i am searching to make it with water....
I found the radiator...i will make a custom waterblock by my self and i am searching for a tiny pump/res but nothing is fitting as i really want...some pumps are wider or taller and i have tons of restrictions from the case factors...!

Thank you very much!

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Ah, I see :) I'll have to measure the "height" of the cooling solution on the msi lp 1050ti, but removing the shroud definitely nets some extra few millimeters. Not sure if it will be enough, but doing that along with removing the dvi should be enough space.

Then, with it running passively (because you removed the shroud and fans) your need to undervolt it to keep your temperatures under control.

Otherwise you might look at something like the HD Plex heatpipe mount, and attempt to get it on the gpu (in which case I recommend the zotac lp card, it appears to have standard mounting holes). If that works then you just need to route more pipes to the radiator

Reactions: Staxtis

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
@Staxtis : this all seems lots of hassle for a minimal benefit !

I tried the water-cooling angle with a GTX 970 and a dual 92mm Asetek AIO and slim Arctic GPU fans => NO GO, especially with your case.

I finally tried this setup : a thin mini-itx board with a powered riser.
In your case, this could be the more appropriate solution since your CPU cooling is already offset.

No case modding involved.

However, after spending quite some time experimenting with the Streacom F7C, I finally sold it for a more appropriate case.
I can confirm you it is not designed for a GPU.

Staxtis

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
Ah, I see :) I'll have to measure the "height" of the cooling solution on the msi lp 1050ti, but removing the shroud definitely nets some extra few millimeters. Not sure if it will be enough, but doing that along with removing the dvi should be enough space.

Then, with it running passively (because you removed the shroud and fans) your need to undervolt it to keep your temperatures under control.

Otherwise you might look at something like the HD Plex heatpipe mount, and attemp
[/url][/IMG] t to get it on the gpu (in which case I recommend the zotac lp card, it appears to have standard mounting holes). If that works then you just need to route more pipes to the radiator

Please mate measure it and if you find me a passive solution 1050ti that i can make it...I will make a Biowarejak statute next to the statue of liberty:D:D
For example something like this....with a lowprof vga and within my dimensions:D.If i run it passive like this one should i undervolt it???If yes what about the percentage of loss/power?
However i really dont know if this is something that i can do or anyone else(company) can do it jsut for me (custom:/)

@Staxtis : this all seems lots of hassle for a minimal benefit !

I tried the water-cooling angle with a GTX 970 and a dual 92mm Asetek AIO and slim Arctic GPU fans => NO GO, especially with your case.

I finally tried this setup : a thin mini-itx board with a powered riser.
In your case, this could be the more appropriate solution since your CPU cooling is already offset.

No case modding involved.

However, after spending quite some time experimenting with the Streacom F7C, I finally sold it for a more appropriate case.
I can confirm you it is not designed for a GPU

1.Thats the main problem mate...That i aint have any benefit and cost a lot with lots of hassle but i am just searching for a single shot to achieve my goal which is....Fitting a 1050ti in a Streacom Fc8 Alpha (with closed case):D

2.I cannot put a riser since the is no space....above the cpu-memory etc+ the fans will take ALL the heat from cpu to vga fans and make it even hotter...Something i figure out is...
With an extender riser to put the vga on the right side...Like this..https://ibb.co/eFKZE5 but then i got 2 problems....1.icant rotate the wire because it is too wide and it can be brake..and 2nd.From where exactly the vga will have enough air to cool it self?and might the heat start growing and growing an have cpu over temp on vga or both vga+cpu....

3.I am sure it doesnt..TRUST ME...but i learned it too late:/ i never thought a small vga would be a problem with ANYCASE on market but....here we are:D And beign honest i dont see any other pc case tha i might like...
Only the Hd plex H5 looks pretty nice but i think that i will have some problem as well with tha case...Am i correct?

THANK YOU ALL OF YOU GUYS!!
Thumps up!

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
So yeah, ideally the vrm would be touching the heatsink as well, but on my card it's only cooled by airflow over it. I'm not certain if other manufacturers have better heatsink designs. The thickness of the cooler on my card is only about 20mm anyway.

And the thing about undervolting is that even if the performance drops, the performance per watt goes up. You can do that in MSI afterburner fairly easily, but you'll have to experiment to find stability