C14S mounting question

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 19, 2018
First question is - 140mm fan vs 120mm fan with this cooler. I heard its similar temps. Can anyone confirm?

Second question is, I want to use the 120mm fan with it but heard it requires special mounting gear. I've ordered some from Noctua but they are shipping from Europe so it may not get here for another 2 weeks. Now, I have a L12S lying around that I'm not using. Is it possible to use the mounting gear from that to use on 120mm fan on C14S? The heatsink on C14S is noticebly thicker, so the little metallic clips may not be long enough. But just wanted to ask. If anyone knew.

Thanks for your help.

yimingwuzere

Caliper Novice
Dec 2, 2020
Noctua has a form on their website if you need a free AM4 mounting kit from them, proof of purchase of an AM4 board and/or one of their products without the AM4 mounting kit will be required. They will contact you via email when they ship it to you. No need to buy one from them. You can also write in the comments section that you want 120mm clips for use with a NF-A12x25 and they'll add those too.

dunknown

Efficiency Noob
Dec 22, 2020
First question is - 140mm fan vs 120mm fan with this cooler. I heard its similar temps. Can anyone confirm?

Second question is, I want to use the 120mm fan with it but heard it requires special mounting gear. I've ordered some from Noctua but they are shipping from Europe so it may not get here for another 2 weeks. Now, I have a L12S lying around that I'm not using. Is it possible to use the mounting gear from that to use on 120mm fan on C14S? The heatsink on C14S is noticebly thicker, so the little metallic clips may not be long enough. But just wanted to ask. If anyone knew.

Thanks for your help.

I have just been through this so it is fresh ☺️

The 2 extra parts you will require are:
NM-SFC14 - this is the mounting clips for the 120mm fan on the C14S
NM-AMB9 - this is to mount the C14S in vertical orientation so you can use the 140mm fan

Get support to send them at the same time, it took me approx 4 weeks from order (that included over 2 weeks of waiting for the actual part to ship).

Hope this helps

Reactions: rfarmer

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 19, 2018
I have just been through this so it is fresh ☺️

The 2 extra parts you will require are:
NM-SFC14 - this is the mounting clips for the 120mm fan on the C14S
NM-AMB9 - this is to mount the C14S in vertical orientation so you can use the 140mm fan

Get support to send them at the same time, it took me approx 4 weeks from order (that included over 2 weeks of waiting for the actual part to ship).

Hope this helps
THanks. I just received SFC14 from Noctua - took them like 2-3 weeks to ship to US.
I decided to skip the 140mm fan altogether. The front orientation SFX PSU is a hassle when it comes to cables. Plus, the 120mm fan is very powerful already. 140mm fan needs a redesign - it's still using the dated design. SFX front orientation means the hot air that PSU produces is recycled into the case, which doesn't help thermals.

dunknown

Efficiency Noob
Dec 22, 2020
THanks. I just received SFC14 from Noctua - took them like 2-3 weeks to ship to US.
I decided to skip the 140mm fan altogether. The front orientation SFX PSU is a hassle when it comes to cables. Plus, the 120mm fan is very powerful already. 140mm fan needs a redesign - it's still using the dated design. SFX front orientation means the hot air that PSU produces is recycled into the case, which doesn't help thermals.

Just to clear something up, the NM-AMB9 allows your to vertical mount the C14S with the PSU in the normal position (not the front orientation) and run the 140mm fan.

The reason it is not done very often is as you have said about the 140mm, and I have seen others complain about asthetics (doesn't look as nice/clean as the horizontal mount)
Also depending on the position of the your motherboard socket the vertical mount may cause the C14S to sit to high and protrude the top of the ncase.

FYI: Also I didn't mention above NM-AMB9 is for an AMD AM4 cpu for others reference.