Discussion Buy or build an SFF for my wife

Ziggystar

What's an ITX?
Original poster
New User
Jun 19, 2020
Hi everybody, I joined to hopefully get some advice about replacing my wife’s old hp pavilion with a new smf I am thinking of a NUC with upgradable capacity but don’t have a lot of cash to splash. I have even thought about a bare bones build. Any advice would really be appreciated

FuzionReaktor

Cable Smoosher
Jun 19, 2020
I have tried to look and don't think I've seen prebuilt SFFs sold. Might be wrong though. Depending on size constraints, something like the Node or a cheap copy of the NCASE M1 might be plenty to make a decent, affordable and upgradeable setup

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
You can look at the ASRock DeskMini series, soon they'll probably release the new version with the latest AMD APU (CPU with integrated entry/mid level gaming GPU):

These are economical in the SFF realm, but it will probably mean it's not going to be available within the month.

Reactions: ExtremeSFFPC

minh278

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Oct 10, 2018
gaming or office work. what does she use a computer for.

prebuilts are not that expensive for sff
lookup hp elitedesk 800 and similar small products.

gaming you usually getter better parts for your money if you build.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
gaming or office work. what does she use a computer for.

prebuilts are not that expensive for sff
lookup hp elitedesk 800 and similar small products.

gaming you usually getter better parts for your money if you build.

I must say I bought new one open box originally ust for parts $200 ebay, but ended up using as is. 8500T based unit, 2 nvme slots plus a sata slot under 1L, quiet and came with an enterprise version of w10 so less needy. Really can't go wrong

Reactions: Phuncz